• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Narnia64

Capture works for Hi8mm cassettes but not for 8mm cassettes

Question

I have been successfully capturing my Hi8mm cassettes using a firewire and saving to AVI. I've done this with about 10 cassettes so far. I just got to my slightly older batch (6 years old - from 2001) and the same process I've been successfully using to capture the entire tape now just stops after about 30 secs of capture. I have to sit and watch the capture take place and re-start it over and over. Instead of creating 1 AVI file for this whole cassette, I will end up with a ton of them, which I don't want. I saw some other posts about people having a similar problem, but I didn't see any that made the distinction between cassette types. Anyone got a work-around for this? I can't have this problem for the next 10 or so tapes that I need to do - it will take entirely too long and create too many files. Thanks in advance for any help!

2 answers to this question

I found a work-around. So, I'm listing it for the sake of those who may be having the same problem.

I found that Windows Movie Maker v 5.1 (which came with my computer) was able to capture these 8mm older cassettes without any problems. No offense to Roxio, but I didn't change any other parts of the equation except the software being used for the capture so I'm left with wondering if this is an EMC bug?

Happy Thursday! :)

I'm capturing for the first time with EMC 10 (Hi8mm brand new tape) and have the same problem - 30 second limit. It worked fine with earlier EMC versions so I don't think it is my equipment. I've submitted a Help Ticket to see what response I get.