• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Using Copyrighted Music In Videos

oppdretiree

Question

A friend of mine is considering making videos for school graduating classes (e.g. a video year book) and wants to put recorded music in the background. I told him that if he sells these DVDs, he must have permission from the "owner of the music". The problem is he won't know the music until the school committee decides what songs they want, and the time it could possibly take to get the permission. He may not have enough time to produce the video and get it distributed by the time class is out for the summer.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? (Estimated number of DVDs is under 100)

Thanks,

Dan

2 answers to this question

A friend of mine is considering making videos for school graduating classes (e.g. a video year book) and wants to put recorded music in the background. I told him that if he sells these DVDs, he must have permission from the "owner of the music". The problem is he won't know the music until the school committee decides what songs they want, and the time it could possibly take to get the permission. He may not have enough time to produce the video and get it distributed by the time class is out for the summer.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? (Estimated number of DVDs is under 100)

Thanks,

Dan

Start with the Harry Fox Agency, www.harryfox.com

Here's some more good info:

http://www.legalzoom.com/law_library/copyr..._copyright.html

Thanks,

Dan

I don't have any idea but you might try contacting A.S.C.A.P. or B.M.I. I have a friend who owns a restaurant and has 'food' music piped in and he pays a monthly fee for those rights. Not sure if the same applies to you and I don't know which group he contacted but it was one of those or a similar music licensing firms. Bigger cities have more of these groups available to their area.

Archived