Encoding Time

douglashh

Question

I'm trying to burn a movie that is just under 2 hours longs.

It's taking about 10 hours to encode the movie with Toast 7.0.2. Why does it take so long? I'm using a MDD G4 1.25GHz.

This is the first movie I've tried to burn to a DVD. If it takes this long Toast is totally useless.

Is this normal?

Doug

7 answers to this question

BTW the movie file was in .mov format from Quicktime Pro. And all of Toast setting were in default mode.

Doug

Doug,

Was your movie a Quicktime formatted MPEG movie, or a DV movie file? If you are trying to burn a Quiciktime that is not a DV stream, Toast may be doing double or triple-duty trying to up-res a movie that may have started out being only 320X240 instead of 640X480. My experience with Toast is that it works much faster than the default Apple-supplied program for encoding a movie. By the way, keep in mind that the first step is encoding. Once this step is finished, burning to a DVD follows. Try saving your encoded movie to your desktop as a Disk Image first, then afterwards burn your DVD. In Toast and Popcorn, I burn a 2hr Disk Image to DVD in about 20 minutes.

Dan

I'm trying to burn a movie that is just under 2 hours longs.

It's taking about 10 hours to encode the movie with Toast 7.0.2. Why does it take so long? I'm using a MDD G4 1.25GHz.

This is the first movie I've tried to burn to a DVD. If it takes this long Toast is totally useless.

Is this normal?

Doug

That is not normal. Your Mac should take about 3-4 minutes per minute of video for encoding at Toast's automatic settings assuming the source is a DV movie. Please describe some details about your project, video format and the settings used in Toast.

That is not normal. Your Mac should take about 3-4 minutes per minute of video for encoding at Toast's automatic settings assuming the source is a DV movie. Please describe some details about your project, video format and the settings used in Toast.

It appears that this is normal. You say that it should take 4 minutes per minute of video. The video is 120 minutes so it should take 480 minutes to encode which is 8 hours to encode. This is useless especially since the encoding process takes almost all my CPU and therefore cannot be used for other tasks.

Making movies using Toast and Mac is obviously not as simple and easy as I was lead to believe.

BTW the movie file was in .mov format from Quicktime Pro. And all of Toast setting were in default mode.

Doug

Actually, it is simple and easy... it just takes time.

There's no way around this... all DVD creation requires a process called encoding which compresses video into MPEG2 format that a DVD player can understand.

Two hours is a long video source... so 10 hours of encoding is a normal amount of time. iDVD would take just as long, and take up most of your machine's cycles the same way.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm used to a 2 hr movie from Imovie encoding and burning in 2-3 hours. I've got a 1.73 ghz processor on a g5 power mac, running the same version of Toast. I've never had any project take anywhere near 10 hours.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm used to a 2 hr movie from Imovie encoding and burning in 2-3 hours. I've got a 1.73 ghz processor on a g5 power mac, running the same version of Toast. I've never had any project take anywhere near 10 hours.

That's because you have a G5 instead of the OP's G4 Mac. But 10 hours is even long for that G4 given the default Toast settings and an iMovie source.

Actually, it is simple and easy... it just takes time.

There's no way around this... all DVD creation requires a process called encoding which compresses video into MPEG2 format that a DVD player can understand.

Two hours is a long video source... so 10 hours of encoding is a normal amount of time. iDVD would take just as long, and take up most of your machine's cycles the same way.

Archived