Sign in to follow this  
zeek

DVD-Video From VIDEO_TS Vs. DVD-ROM (UDF) for dual layer?

Question

It's been awhile since I burned a dual layer disc, but I just recently tried to burn a backup of a DVD movie via VIDEO_TS folder. I'm using Verbatim DL media (which have worked well so far), but I used the DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS option in Toast 7. Halfway through the burn I got some errors and the session resulted in a coaster. Then I remembered the whole "UDF" thing from a while back. So at this point I'm going to try burning the same disc, but I'll use Data/DVD-ROM (UDF) instead and I'm guessing I'll get better results. I'm pretty sure the DVD-Video option results in Toast using UDF anyway, so my question is what exactly is different about the Data/UDF option, and why would that work when the DVD-Video option would not?

1 answer to this question

I don't know why one would work but not the other. You are correct that you'll get a UDF format video DVD either way. The VIDEO_TS option in the Video window is mostly just more intuitive to users who expect to burn videos in the Video window.

But there can be a difference using the Data window. There you can add data content in addition to your VIDEO_TS folder. (Toast automatically adds the AUDIO_TS folder when you click the burn button).

What I'd do instead is choose Save as Disc Image using either the Data or Video windows. Then burn that to the Verbatim DL disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window. I find there is always less chance of problems when burning disc images.