• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Chappy

Menu Background Issues

Question

RESOLVED - READ PG 2 FOR FIX

Hey Folks

I've recently upgraded from EMC9 to EMC10, and this issue was in both. Before I get into it I have to say that it worked properly before, with this same setup, but now it's just gone crazy. I'll supply screenshots to help illustrate. Ok, just found this forum doesn't allow screenshots..darn! I'll link to PhotoBucket I guess.

Trying to burn movies using MyDVD10 and the Menu background is totally messed up to the point of being unworkable! It's chopped into horizontal bands and misaligned (and enlarged it seems). I can't find buttons on it or edit it, but if I just let it be it will diplay properly in the burned product....(?). It's only in the MyDVD 10 interface it seems, that this display issue arises, since as I said above...if I just burn the project everything is fine, except for the fact that I can't edit the button names or anything cause I can't SEE them!

This started even with EMC9 and I figured with EMC10 now, it should work properly, but it doesn't.

If I change the background tho, it will flash with the proper display and then 3 seconds later it will go wonky again. This happens anytime I attempt to make a change, like "Edit Menu Style" or something...it'll display properly for a few seconds and then BAM...cut into bands and unintelligable!

Here's a screenshot of an image, I'll choose a simple one so you can easily see the difference:

1st, this is the image that I get in MyDVD menu - http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3927/mydvd1ba0.jpg

This is what it's Supposed to be - http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/1678/mydvd3lf3.jpg

Here's another example. What I get in MyDVD - http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9509/mydvd2ax1.jpg

What it's Supposed to look like - http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3148/mydvd4jc3.jpg

I've worked in MyDVD9 many times and I'm very computer savvy, and I simply cannot find any reason for this. I have a Geforce 8800 GTS OC2 320MB card with latest drivers. Another stupid issue that just showed it's face (right now in fact), if I try to launch MyDVD10 when I have Media Center running, I get a message stating that I don't have the graphics resources to launch MyDVD10.....huh....I doubt that very much! Minimal background programs running (AV, Firewall, KB & Mouse drivers and Graphics drivers), 320MB on card RAM, 4 G's physical RAM, and 4 G's virtual memory so I doubt my resources are "used up".

Anyway, I need to figure out why my menu backgrounds are getting messed up. Any ideas are welcome...I have tried everything I can find in main and right click menu's to no avail yet.

Thx

Dave

Edited by Chappy

Over here on this side of the pond, Vista has rapidly earned the nickname of

"ME 2"

:lol:

Edited by gi7omy

Thx Bruce

I'm sure I'll have fun with the software but I'm sure not having fun with Vista right now....

Since I got this issue fixed, Vista has become totally HOSED!!

The shell freezes immediately after bootup everytime, my firewall can't be found in the installation directory, so it complains and then reports it has unfixable errors, my core 2 is maxxed because of explorer being frozen, so it's near immposible to use the mouse or KB to try and get anywhere to see what's going on, can't open the start menu or the task mgr...it's gone haywire!

Finally booted the OS DVD and ran Sys Restore back to 4 days ago, when my only problem it seemed was with MyDVD and the background stuff. It seemed to go well and I restored my backup of the firewall settings so I don't have to go thru all that setup again, and on the next restart I started having troubles again. The shell isn't freezing things up anymore but I had to restart 4 times to get my mouse cursor to move, then I lost my network connection. Reinstalled the network adaptor and then my AV (NOD32) couldn't contact the kernel and the VSS started throwing errors....WHAT NEXT!!!!

I like Vista but this will be the 3rd time in 8 months the install just hoses itself without any real user intervention! I could see if I was doing allot of system changes or low level stuff, but eveything I've done trying to fix this thread's issue was all UI based, no registry stuff, no low level command line stuff, and the OS just starts going south. With XP Pro SP2 I could make extensive system changes with no issues but Vista sometimes seems to do it to itself.

I think it's time to prepare for a clean reinstall....again.

I've done it so often lately that I have a document that lists all the config files and things I need to copy to get the new install up and running ASAP. Still takes a good 3 days or more to get everything back up to speed so it's still a Major PITA!

Oh well

YIKES! I have been happy with XP since the day it came out. It has been rock solid for me, and I haven't seen the need to move up to Vista. Too many horror stories.

"ME 2"...LOL!!

I fully understand why but I don't think ANYTHING could beat out ME as the top of the Crap Heap..;)

Yah Bruce, I was too, but I built my new machine and figured I'd give Vista a whirl. Maybe I'm too stubborn but I don't want to give up on it just yet, it is a good OS at it's heart, but man it is quirky at times.

When XP was first released, it was a real DOG also. It didn't become the ultra stable OS we know (and dearly LOVE) today until well after SP1 and SP2 solidified it as the BEST that MS ever made.

MS states that XP was released with 1500 known bugs while Vista had only 500, so theoretically Vista is (supposed to be) more stable out of the box than XP was. Unfortunately MS is not planning any major upgrades for Vista in SP1 like they did with XP, because they're doing that in their Update releases instead. SP1 is more a cumulative rollup with a couple of new updates added but not much more from what MS is saying, and it's still not slated until Jan/Feb 2008.

I can't put my finger on just what happens really, and I can't fully blame it on Vista either. Too many drivers & programs for Vista are still in the Beta stages and without some really serious time to test things, I just can't say for certain what the root causes for these are. Also, if I took allot of time I could probably get it back...uninstall & reinstall a bunch of things..you know, but I figure my time is better spent on a fresh install anyway, so that's the route I go instead.

It just seems that once one thing goes nasty, a bunch of others follow suit quickly! (sigh)

I know Vista will get better as time goes and better drivers and programs are released for it, and MS gets more compatibility updates into it, just like XP did, and I like the direction MS is going with things. Security over compatibility was long overdue in their OS's as anyone with a brain knew.

I can't remember ever, an OS release where most AV, Firewall & Graphics companies are STILL in Beta drivers almost a Year after the OS was released...but that's the case with Vista. I know MS was trying to keep kernel hooks out and the security producers had a big issue with that..yadda-yadda, but seriously...too many companies just dropped the ball here and MS is not only to blame for our Vista woes.

I think I could write a small book on all that but we don't need that here, or now do we ;)

I need to figure out whether to fix or format right now, I think the next few reboots will tell.

7-1 for the Red Sox right now eh...Wow!

8-1

9-1...

Edited by Chappy

Yeah, the Sox are kicking, but I wanted Cleveland to beat them. :(

Also, I do know a lot of folks had problems with ME, but I was one who didn't. I did get some blue screens, but nowhere near as many as in Windows 98.

Since I have had XP, I have had 2 BSOD's. I also found that with XP, if you have a problem, where you can't reboot, you are usually done and have to do a Format C: :)

I also found that with XP, if you have a problem, where you can't reboot, you are usually done and have to do a Format C:

Ever try running a Repair Install?

Not Recovery console, but a complete reinstall of the installation folders/files without damaging your data. I found that this would work very well when XP started acting weird, and it saved many a reformat/reinstall. Restore is buggy in XP and I wouldn't use that past 4 days if ever, but running a repair install pretty much took care of any XP ills I ever had.

JIC you're unfamiliar with it - boot the XP CD, DO NOT choose "Recovery Console", choose "Install Windows", go thru accepting the EULA stuff, when it lists any found Windows install highlight the desired install & press "R" to start the repair process. Setup runs as if a clean install was done but when it boots to the desktop, all your programs ands data are intact.

Edited by Chappy

Not worth the trouble to me.

I take the opportunity to upgrade to a new larger/faster drive and do a clean install. Then use the old drive as secondary and copy what I need to the new one.

My drives come with a Living Will that states no extraordinary actions are to be bothered with!

My drives come with a Living Will that states no extraordinary actions are to be bothered with!

LOL!!!

Yah, they all should be like that at times. Even tho I did get it all straightened out eventually, my mind was made up to freshen it up anyway, so that''s just what I did. I find that once things start going south for whatever reason, it's usually only the beginning of more to come.

The Repair Install does do wonders tho, it's definitely one of my TOP fixes that I suggest to users that I'm helping when most other things don't work, and 90% of the time it'll fix things up. With Vista now, the "Repair" option is called In-Place Upgrade and is run from within Windows now and not from booting the Vista DVD.

Anyway, I'm still working on getting this install back up to speed. My Comodo firewall (beta still) hosed almost ALL Win Updates in the default config with this newest Beta version, and I had to uninstall it completely until I had all the updates installed and then reinstall it. Contacted Comodo team about that, it's not supposed to mess with those in all but the most paranoid settings so there's obviously a problem with this latest Beta. Plus the GUI is messed up some in this version so hopefully they'll have a new one out soon.

Well....back to work getting this install up. I think my next install is EMC10 ;)

My thanks to Chappy and others. Tonight I experienced the exact symptoms described in the OP, and was able to quickly correct the problem as described in the NVidia control panel, because it was described here.

Thanks again! :D

Hi CarbonArc

That's Fantastic!!

This is exactly why anyone who's ever worked in user help forums, always asks people to reply back if something we suggested worked. The ONLY way we know what works is if people reply and let us know. Way too many times we make suggestions for awhile and then never hear back from the OP, and never really know what the outcome was.

I always make sure if I have an issue and I find a workaround or fix, I'll post about it and I prefer to both [a] post into the OP about it, and/or make a new thread with an unmissable title for others who are researching the same problem, and explain the entire issue.

I'm so glad that you found this CarbonArc!! It makes it all worthwhile to go thru all that crap, so that my troubles can make someone elses day go easier.

You are VERY Welcome!!

Edited by Chappy

Hi CarbonArc

That's Fantastic!!

This is exactly why anyone who's ever worked in user help forums, always asks people to reply back if something we suggested worked. The ONLY way we know what works is if people reply and let us know. Way too many times we make suggestions for awhile and then never hear back from the OP, and never really know what the outcome was.

I always make sure if I have an issue and I find a workaround or fix, I'll post about it and I prefer to both [a] post into the OP about it, and/or make a new thread with an unmissable title for others who are researching the same problem, and explain the entire issue.

I'm so glad that you found this CarbonArc!! It makes it all worthwhile to go thru all that crap, so that my troubles can make someone elses day go easier.

You are VERY Welcome!!

I posted a similar "fix" to a slightly different problem in the Tips and Tricks area of the EMC 9 board. When you write up your issue and the fix, post it in the Tips and Tricks area of V10 primarily since it may be related to Vista. It will be amoung the few there and won't get lost. Perhaps the moderator will even pin it to the top. :)