• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

StephenS

number of disks

Question

Hi, I went through the painful process of "upgrading" EMC10 to include the disaster recovery option of Back On Track 3. I too was sent the wrong code. Eventually I recieved 2 emails containing 2 different codes - the first one I tried worked. I was also confused with some of the BOT components stating that they were version 1. Everything installed OK though. I then went to the disaster recovery option to do a complete drive backup and found out that I need 16 DVDs to do this!! The size of the backup was 65GBs when the original hard drive size is 90GB. I thought the compression would be better than this - my original recovery disk is only about 8GB big. Reading through the info on the Roxio website it does not say that you need loads of DVDs or a large external drive to use this programme. Am I going wrong somewhere?

5 answers to this question

Hi, I went through the painful process of "upgrading" EMC10 to include the disaster recovery option of Back On Track 3. I too was sent the wrong code. Eventually I recieved 2 emails containing 2 different codes - the first one I tried worked. I was also confused with some of the BOT components stating that they were version 1. Everything installed OK though. I then went to the disaster recovery option to do a complete drive backup and found out that I need 16 DVDs to do this!! The size of the backup was 65GBs when the original hard drive size is 90GB. I thought the compression would be better than this - my original recovery disk is only about 8GB big. Reading through the info on the Roxio website it does not say that you need loads of DVDs or a large external drive to use this programme. Am I going wrong somewhere?

Just noticed another option to "upgrade" within EMC10 to BackonTrack 3. I think I have installed Back on Track v1. I have recieved a refund for v3.

Very confused by Roxio!!! Wish I had stuck with Nero which I used on my old PC. I only used Roxio because my new PC had Roxio 9 Basic already installed. I thought that if I upgraded to Roxio EMC10 (as prompted) then I would have everything I need. I don't like the underhand way that Roxio is trying to part me from my money with continual upgrades and add ons.

Anyway - the big question - do I or do I not now try and download and install BOT 3? Which for some reason is now going to cost me £39 as opposed to the original £9.99 when EMC10 first suggested I upgrade.

The upgrade to back on track suite 3 that you are offered in EMC 10 is £19.99 inc. VAT for download.

Ah yes, I now see that it is offering this at $39.99 or in sterling it is £19.99. I am not sure what I originally bought for £9.99 but that has now been refunded. The question remains though - is this worth the extra money? When reading the info about BOT 3 it sounds very similar to the restore/rollback features that are present in windows anyway.

Do you have any FAT32 or non-NTFS partitions? Disaster Recovery will only compress NTFS partitions. For other partition formats it backs up sector for sector regardless of whether or not there is data. So if you have a 10GB FAT32 partition with 5gb of data the backup will be 10GB. There also maybe hidden partitions as well if you have an OEM machine (Dell, HP, etc..) that are part of the backup image.

Edited by Sonic Boom

Do you have any FAT32 or non-NTFS partitions? Disaster Recovery will only compress NTFS partitions. For other partition formats it backs up sector for sector regardless of whether or not there is data. So if you have a 10GB FAT32 partition with 5gb of data the backup will be 10GB. There also maybe hidden partitions as well if you have an OEM machine (Dell, HP, etc..) that are part of the backup image.

Hi, thanks for your help. However, the hard drive is in NTFS format. I do have a lot of data on the drive and I guess my expectations of Roxio were too high. It did not help that I was led to believe that I was upgrading to BOT 3 Suite but in actual fact I had upgraded to a lesser product - BOT 3. I am pretty disgusted with Roxio and their dodgy and misleading marketing. I would delete all the Roxio stuff but my computer has about 20 Roxio programmes installed (the original Creator 9 Basic, the upgraded EMC10 and the BOT3 programmes) and I am not sure if it would be a wise move now that Roxio has taken over my PC.

Thanks once again.