• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Ecdc5 Platinum Problem

brizvegan

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum (upgraded to version 5.3.5.10 - Take Two removed)

IBM NetVista Pentium III 800MHz (5 years old)

20gb HD

256mb ram

TEAC CD-W54E Firmware 7.1 (CD-RW)

Seagate 160gb external hard drive (USB 2.0)

Windows Me

I have recently been using Acronis True Image 9.0 (build 2337) drive image software.

This has been working well - I have been able to make entire drive images, store them on my external HD, and restore my HD. I have experimented with different file sizes (eg. 1 whole .tib file, and also breaking them up into CD-R sized parts and storing them on both my external, and a partition on my internal HD).

I have also been able to "direct burn" the image files to CD-R, within the True Image program. So my burner must be ok (I think!)

My problem is that I cannot burn the .tib files (633mb) saved on my external/internal HD to CD-R, using ECDC5 Platinum.

I'm using Data CD Project. I have tried every way I know how to do it with the same result.

I get to the "File Generation System" box. There is (hard) drive activity noise, but no progress in the Progress bar (0%). This continues for a couple of minutes, then "Copying Files" appears. Then .... nothing!

The program freezes solid, no mouse movement, nothing. I have to turn off my pc with the power switch.

I have done this many times, many ways (tried using the different file systems ISO/Joliet/UDF whatever, Track at once, Disc at once, I finalise the CDs always).

I have been able to make other Data CDs (eg. of My Documents folder).

I have been able to use Disc Copier to copy a data CD.

I can use the True Image program in other ways (as above, direct burn, saving files on external HD etc.), but I should be able to do this as well.

I have been to Wilders Security Forum:

Cannot copy saved .tib files to CD-R - Wilders Security Forums - Microsoft Internet Explorer

and tried to get help there thinking it might be a True Image problem.

At one stage I uninstalled ECDC5 (using Roxizap) and at the suggestion of somebody at Wilders, installed DeepBurner. I am giving ECDC5 another go - but :huh: no go!!!!

Does anyone have any clues why this is happening?

I'm sorry for such a confused post, but I don't know how else to describe the problem. :)

I would be grateful for any help you can give me. This is driving me up the wall.

Thanks,

Brizvegan

Hello all,

<snip>

My problem is that I cannot burn the .tib files (633mb) saved on my external/internal HD to CD-R, using ECDC5 Platinum.

I'm using Data CD Project. I have tried every way I know how to do it with the same result.

I get to the "File Generation System" box. There is (hard) drive activity noise, but no progress in the Progress bar (0%). This continues for a couple of minutes, then "Copying Files" appears. Then .... nothing!

The program freezes solid, no mouse movement, nothing. I have to turn off my pc with the power switch.

I have done this many times, many ways (tried using the different file systems ISO/Joliet/UDF whatever, Track at once, Disc at once, I finalise the CDs always).

I have been able to make other Data CDs (eg. of My Documents folder).

I have been able to use Disc Copier to copy a data CD.

I can use the True Image program in other ways (as above, direct burn, saving files on external HD etc.), but I should be able to do this as well.

I have been to Wilders Security Forum:

Cannot copy saved .tib files to CD-R - Wilders Security Forums - Microsoft Internet Explorer

and tried to get help there thinking it might be a True Image problem.

At one stage I uninstalled ECDC5 (using Roxizap) and at the suggestion of somebody at Wilders, installed DeepBurner. I am giving ECDC5 another go - but :huh: no go!!!!

Does anyone have any clues why this is happening?

I'm sorry for such a confused post, but I don't know how else to describe the problem. :)

I would be grateful for any help you can give me. This is driving me up the wall.

Thanks,

Brizvegan

Well, I'm still running True Image 8, not 9, which is one difference, but I just did a test writing a .TIB file to a disc image (.ISO) file, and ECDC 5 had no problems with that at all. I wonder if something in the newer True Image monitor is interfering with how ECDC 5 opens the files, making it appear like a file it should "open" instead of just read as-is.

So, unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. I'd be interested to know what would happen if you were to change file associations for .TIB files to say, no association, and see if that made any difference.

Well, I'm still running True Image 8, not 9, which is one difference, but I just did a test writing a .TIB file to a disc image (.ISO) file, and ECDC 5 had no problems with that at all. I wonder if something in the newer True Image monitor is interfering with how ECDC 5 opens the files, making it appear like a file it should "open" instead of just read as-is.

So, unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. I'd be interested to know what would happen if you were to change file associations for .TIB files to say, no association, and see if that made any difference.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for replying to my problem.

Can you recall the settings you used when you recorded your .tib file?

eg. obviously .ISO, but did you use Track at once, or Disc at once; did you test CD/test & copy/or Record CD. Did you copy to hard drive first? Did you let ECDC5 verify? What speed? My burner maxes out at 4x. etc. etc.

Sorry to be asking a lot of questions of you. :)

I'll try again, changing the file assocations for .tib - but I wonder if I was successful in recording these files to CD, would True Image "recognise" them when restoring the images? When TI restores it seems to "go looking" for .tib files to restore on drives, CDs etc.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that when trying to record the .tib files I press "record", ECDC5 tries to do a test every time (even though I did the System Test for data a couple of times).

Test fails - I get a box:

"The transfer rate test for drive "E" the HD partition where the .tib files are stored could not be conducted as not enough test files could be located.

Please ensure that drive "E" contains at least 6.00MB of files ranging n size between 0bytes and 300kb and retry the test."

(I also tried it again, but copied a few small files to drive "E" for it to read. Same thing.)

I clicked OK, and the program just started with "File Generation System" .... hard drive noise, 0% progress, "Copying files" ... then froze. It doesn't seem to want to read the .tib.

Also, when I was able to make a Data CD Project with My Documents folder and burn to CD-R, there was progress in the "File Generation System" bar to 100%, then it started copying the files. It seems to be at this point that it consistently "sticks" when trying to record the .tibs.

"Seekforever" on Wilders Forum also has used ECDC5 (basic) and has had success. I think he/she might also have True Image 8.

I have been on to Acronis Support and and sent them my logs, reports etc. They suggested a couple of things to try (installing their SnapAPI_s_e.exe file - whatever that is) which I did - but no joy. I don't think it is their problem - after all I have been successful in creating the images, and even burning their bootable CD-R direct from True Image.

Anyway, if you could tell me the settings you used when you recorded successfully, I'll have another go, and then go from there.

Thanks again,

Brizvegan

Hello Dave,

Thanks for replying to my problem.

Can you recall the settings you used when you recorded your .tib file?

eg. obviously .ISO, but did you use Track at once, or Disc at once; did you test CD/test & copy/or Record CD. Did you copy to hard drive first? Did you let ECDC5 verify? What speed? My burner maxes out at 4x. etc. etc.

Sorry to be asking a lot of questions of you. :)

I'll try again, changing the file assocations for .tib - but I wonder if I was successful in recording these files to CD, would True Image "recognise" them when restoring the images? When TI restores it seems to "go looking" for .tib files to restore on drives, CDs etc.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that when trying to record the .tib files I press "record", ECDC5 tries to do a test every time (even though I did the System Test for data a couple of times).

Test fails - I get a box:

"The transfer rate test for drive "E" the HD partition where the .tib files are stored could not be conducted as not enough test files could be located.

Please ensure that drive "E" contains at least 6.00MB of files ranging n size between 0bytes and 300kb and retry the test."

(I also tried it again, but copied a few small files to drive "E" for it to read. Same thing.)

I clicked OK, and the program just started with "File Generation System" .... hard drive noise, 0% progress, "Copying files" ... then froze. It doesn't seem to want to read the .tib.

Also, when I was able to make a Data CD Project with My Documents folder and burn to CD-R, there was progress in the "File Generation System" bar to 100%, then it started copying the files. It seems to be at this point that it consistently "sticks" when trying to record the .tibs.

"Seekforever" on Wilders Forum also has used ECDC5 (basic) and has had success. I think he/she might also have True Image 8.

I have been on to Acronis Support and and sent them my logs, reports etc. They suggested a couple of things to try (installing their SnapAPI_s_e.exe file - whatever that is) which I did - but no joy. I don't think it is their problem - after all I have been successful in creating the images, and even burning their bootable CD-R direct from True Image.

Anyway, if you could tell me the settings you used when you recorded successfully, I'll have another go, and then go from there.

Thanks again,

Brizvegan

I don't do the Test and Record, just Record. TAO mode. If burning to a CD-R, I usually use my Plextor at 12X (CD). To a DVD, I use my Benq 1620 at 4X (DVD).

To get around the problem with not enough files on your E: drive I had at one time written a program to generate a set of test files that would satisfy ECDC 5. I'm going to have to look for it now as it's been a couple years since I used it....

Ah... found it: http://deweywrightenterprises.baka.com/testfils.exe

Download that, tell it to make the files on your E: drive. Then, in ECDC, go into Tools -> System Tests, and manually run the tests for your E: drive. At this point, I'm thinking there's a system issue that ECDC is failing on. Once you successfully get ECDC to pass the System Tests for that drive, retry burning your .TIB file, and see if that makes any difference.

I don't do the Test and Record, just Record. TAO mode. If burning to a CD-R, I usually use my Plextor at 12X (CD). To a DVD, I use my Benq 1620 at 4X (DVD).

To get around the problem with not enough files on your E: drive I had at one time written a program to generate a set of test files that would satisfy ECDC 5. I'm going to have to look for it now as it's been a couple years since I used it....

Ah... found it: http://deweywrightenterprises.baka.com/testfils.exe

Download that, tell it to make the files on your E: drive. Then, in ECDC, go into Tools -> System Tests, and manually run the tests for your E: drive. At this point, I'm thinking there's a system issue that ECDC is failing on. Once you successfully get ECDC to pass the System Tests for that drive, retry burning your .TIB file, and see if that makes any difference.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the info and the test file! - I'll give it a go.

Brizvegan

Hello again,

Well, I've finally had some success in burning True Image .tib files to CD-Rs with ECDC5 Platinum.

It's still a bit of a "hit and miss" affair, but I've got 3 data CDs. Verified as OK by True Image.

Dave - I downloaded your test files to my E: drive and ran the System Tests again. ECDC tested them. Later on, it gave me the same "Transfer rate test message" again, this time wanting files up to 1024mb (!). I clicked ok, and it seemed to be "satisfied" - it finished. So thanks again for the files.

I tried Record CD straight up - failed. Same as before - frozen solid at "Copying files".

Then tried a Test Only - succeeded.

Tried a Test and Record CD - succeeded in burning 1st .tib file!!!!!!!!!

Tried it again ........ failed.

Test Only - succeeded.

Test and Record - succeeded!

etc.

Next time - failed

Went on this way for quite a few times.

Eventually, 3 CDs. Happy Days.

When I succeeded in burning a CD, the difference seemed to be that when it got to "File Generation System" and "Copying Files" - these stages only lasted about 1 second, then started "Writing Track" - there was progress!

As I said before though, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I may well be having some other computer glitch somewhere.

The successful settings used were:

CD Project Properties:

File System: Joliet

"Record using a single data track only"

Physical format of CD: CDROM

Record CD Setup:

Write Speed: 1x (150kb sec)

Record options: Test and record CD

Record method: Track at once/Finalize CD

I'm sure I already used the above settings somewhere along the line (I've made so many attempts over the last couple of weeks, reams of notes, install/reinstall, recover HD image, etc. etc. etc.) So the difference may well have been the test files.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. (So far ....)

Thanks for your help. :)

Brizvegan

The successful settings used were:

CD Project Properties:

"Record using a single data track only"

Physical format of CD: CDROM

Record CD Setup:

Write Speed: 1x (150kb sec)

Record options: Test and record CD

Record method: Track at once/Finalize CD

I'm sure I already used the above settings somewhere along the line (I've made so many attempts over the last couple of weeks, reams of notes, install/reinstall, recover HD image, etc. etc. etc.) So the difference may well have been the test files.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. (So far ....)

Thanks for your help. :)

Brizvegan

A couple question/suggestions. Have you tried faster speeds, and if so, what happens? I would also suggest trying Disc At Once mode.

It does seem odd that it is so inconsistent, and fails on the "Generating File System" part, especially when there's only one file. And then, that it works (sometimes) when you do "Test and Record".... I have no good explanation at this point.

A couple question/suggestions. Have you tried faster speeds, and if so, what happens? I would also suggest trying Disc At Once mode.

Well, I'm happy to say I've had more success!

I created some up-to-date images in True Image 9, saved on my external hd.

Copied them back to internal E: partition for more copying experiments.

1st time settings:

CD Project Properties:

"Record using single data track only"

Physical format of CD: CD ROM

Record CD Setup:

Write speed: 4x

Record CD

Disc at once

Outcome: Failed (as before: File System Generation - 2 secs, Copying files - immediate program & pc freeze. Restart pc with power switch.) Difficulty in restarting - Scandisk struggles to complete, eventually restarted.

2nd time: settings as above, but 2x speed. Succeeded.

(File System Generation - 1 sec, Copying Files ......, Writing TOC, Writing Track ..... approx 35 mins ......

Finalizing CD ..... Finished!)

Tried with 2nd .tib file, same settings (in same ECDC5 session) - failed.

Tried and succeeded after reboot. Tried and succeeded/failed a few more times. Tried at 4x - succeeded.

It seems that I must reboot between each recording of the .tib file to be consistently successful.

ECDC5 must need all system resources (?) to get the job done. (Naturally, I always close all programs before recording CDs.) Also, it appears that I can't do any other computer activity before I record. Once I used True Image to check an archive, then went straight to ECDC5 to make the CD - no go. Reboot.

Anyway, bottom line is, I have 3 more CD-Rs containing .tib files, verified as ok by True Image both in Windows mode and boot cd mode.

I can copy them both in Track at once, and Disc at once mode. Also 4x (maximum for my burner) is ok, providing I have rebooted.

So, things are looking up!

Brizvegan

It seems that I must reboot between each recording of the .tib file to be consistently successful.

ECDC5 must need all system resources (?) to get the job done. (Naturally, I always close all programs before recording CDs.) Also, it appears that I can't do any other computer activity before I record. Once I used True Image to check an archive, then went straight to ECDC5 to make the CD - no go. Reboot.

Anyway, bottom line is, I have 3 more CD-Rs containing .tib files, verified as ok by True Image both in Windows mode and boot cd mode.

I can copy them both in Track at once, and Disc at once mode. Also 4x (maximum for my burner) is ok, providing I have rebooted.

So, things are looking up!

Brizvegan

Actually, having to reboot between discs is not an unheard of "solution", just not one that I recall anyone having to use recently. Glad you found it, and that it's working for you!

Archived