Drive Is In Use By Another User

cueball

Question

I've searched this forum but couldn't find anything on this matter. I have Vista preinstalled and it came with Roxio. I used it a couple of times and it worked great. My roommate has his own account on my computer. He logged in to his account and tried to burn a cd and something went wrong. Problem is, he doesn't know what he did. So I get home from work and logged him out of my pc and logged in to my account and opened Roxio. At the bottom left where the CD icon is, it says 'In Use By (my roommate)' So I ignored the message and continued to add song files to burn but it wouldn't let me get any further. Drive E is being used by another user or program keeps popping up. I even uninstalled rebooted and reinstalled Roxio and his name still appears in the bottom left corner. The thing is, I can use that drive to burn from Nero but I can't get his name off of Roxio. I even deleted his account on my pc and his name still shows up as using Drive E.

This is driving me crazy! Please help.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot I already asked this question. Would still like some help though.

10 answers to this question

Try this,after you boot your computer go to the Task Manager.Go to the application tab and see if you see an instance of Roxio running.If you do,highlight it and then hit End Task.Now start Roxio and see if the message is gone.

You can also look in the Processes tab and do the same thing.Just be careful what you stop in the Processes tab.Look in the User Name column and see if his profile name shows up.If it does stop that process.

If you still cant get the drive to work, install the PXEngine (you can get it by putting in google).

There's no need to Google for it. The PX Engine installer and upgrader can be found in the links at #7 in Cdanteek's signature, three posts above this one.

I just did a clean install of Roxio 10. Still haven't found a solution to this problem. Anyone have any idea's?

Won't hurt anything to try this. Go into device manager, click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives. Right click on the offending drive and click uninstall, now reboot.

cd

Here is the answer.. Finally I found it by trial and error. So I thought of helping anyone who could use it.

In the Vista, do an advanced search for hidden files and folders with the name of the other user. Delete all the files detected. Also delete any registry entry in the same account name. (Please make sure the account files have been backed up and the account is deleted before attempting this). After you do this, restart the computer.

If you still cant get the drive to work, install the PXEngine (you can get it by putting in google).

Won't hurt anything to try this. Go into device manager, click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives. Right click on the offending drive and click uninstall, now reboot.

cd

hi I did this and now when I want toburn it says that (your recording device does not support to writing dvd media. this option is not available with your current recorder.

hi I did this and now when I want toburn it says that (your recording device does not support to writing dvd media. this option is not available with your current recorder.

In Device manager what are your listed drives, post it as it reads please.

post-97-1234211546.png

cd

Did you select the DVD-RW burner?

Also, have a look at post #2.

I tried all of these solutions and it still wouldn't work for me. However, I found out that changing the letter assigned to the drive fixed it. For those who don't know how to do this click start, right-click on Computer, select manage,in the window that pops up expand storage and click device management, right-click on the cd drive you want to change the letter of then select the new letter and click ok. I must warn you that you have to be an administrator to do this and though rare there are some programs (mainly ones that need a disk to run) that will still want their cd in a drive with the old letter. This is a rare thing to happen though so you should be fine. If not just change the drive letter back or re-install the programt that is complaining with the new drive letter.

Archived