• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Installation Issues?

dgroy

Question

Hi,

This is my first post here. I sure hope someone can help.

I had My DVD 6 installed on my computer (an HP Media Centre, model 7170n, 2.8 Ghz dual core, 1 GB ram).

I wanted to edit and copy to DVD some VCR tapes of home movies. The video had problems with the image breaking up during capture (but played well on the TV), and I wanted HD capability in the program, so I bought Easy Media Creator 8 hoping it would resolve the issue. I removed My DVD 6, rebooted, and installed EMC 8.

There are now several issues:

1) When I choose Media Import and pick TV tuner, the sound constantly breaks up.

2) If I select the input on the capture card for where the VCR is plugged in(composite), the same issue occurs with the sound.

3) When I select either TV Tuner or VCR input, the image on the preview window is only part of what I should be seeing. For example, if I recorded on tape some people around a table, I might see in the import preview window only part of their body and no table.

4) If I try to capture anything, I get an error saying "Operation Build on Capture Manager Failed. Clicking on details gives: "Failed to build capture graph". So I have been unsuccessful in capturing anything. It should be noted that I was successful in capturing (although with breakups in the image) the VCR with MyDVD 6 using the same hardware, so I can't see how MyDVD 8 should have compatibility issues with the hardware. My DVD 6 also had zero problems with audio. This must be a setup issue, but I can't resolve it. My Capture Card is a Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II, and yes, I have the most recent driver updates for it from HP.

5) If I select Create or Edit DVD Project, and then try to add a movie by selecting it from the "My media" tab in the "select media file" window, the program locks up.

6) Question: Can I import my DVD Projects that were created using My DVD 6? I tried to select any file in the folders created by MyDVD 6, but this version of the program does not seem to recognize any files, so I can't open anything.

Please advise if you have any clues how to resolve these; this is most frustrating.

9 answers to this question

I don't really need to explain anything. You said that you bought a full-blown editing software package which does not work. You said that you can't capture from the Hauppauge card. I can't either, but all else works fine, with the program.

Are you having problems with other programs in the suite?

The main reason I bought EMC 8 was to try to overcome the capture issues I was having with MyDVD 6. So no, given I bought EMC 8 just a few days ago, i have not tried the other parts of the Suite. They are MUCH LESS important to me than the Capture part of it right now.

Is WinTV 2000 a recent program? You say you use it, with success I assume. I don't have it. I checked the Hauppauge web site and can't find it for download. I have googled it and found it at a number of places but am concerned it might mess up the drivers used by Media Centre software used to record TV, and also concerned about whether these download sites I found in Google are reputable.

Any help you can provide is appreciated. I've heard some people use a Windows recorder program (I can't remember the exact name) to record. Does it work well, as well as your WinTV 2000?

Thanks.

I would start here. It is a trouble shooter for your video card/chip and monitor.

Also make sure that you have plenty of defragged free space on your hard drive. Check for malware. Capturing is probably the second most hard use of your CPU (other than rendering). Many have success without doing anything but you may have to disconnect from the internet and shut down all running programs especially your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.

Since V 8 is new and improved, there are more functions handed off to your video card so the card has to be up to snuff. MyDVD 6 is very different from MyDVD in Version 8.

Some of the Hauppage cards are not compatible with the Roxio programs. MyDVD 6 is a Sonic based program and the card may have worked well; MyDVD 8 is a Roxio based programs so you may have some problems. Can you capture with what you were using originally?

I know that you updated the video drivers. Did you also update the audio ones by going here?

As for your question, I doubt if V8 will import those projects. You may have to burn them to a video file (avi if you have the space) or mpg 2 and then bring them into V8. You can then edit them as you would any video file.

Hi,

This is my first post here. I sure hope someone can help.

I had My DVD 6 installed on my computer (an HP Media Centre, model 7170n, 2.8 Ghz dual core, 1 GB ram).

I wanted to edit and copy to DVD some VCR tapes of home movies. The video had problems with the image breaking up during capture (but played well on the TV), and I wanted HD capability in the program, so I bought Easy Media Creator 8 hoping it would resolve the issue. I removed My DVD 6, rebooted, and installed EMC 8.

There are now several issues:

1) When I choose Media Import and pick TV tuner, the sound constantly breaks up.

2) If I select the input on the capture card for where the VCR is plugged in(composite), the same issue occurs with the sound.

3) When I select either TV Tuner or VCR input, the image on the preview window is only part of what I should be seeing. For example, if I recorded on tape some people around a table, I might see in the import preview window only part of their body and no table.

4) If I try to capture anything, I get an error saying "Operation Build on Capture Manager Failed. Clicking on details gives: "Failed to build capture graph". So I have been unsuccessful in capturing anything. It should be noted that I was successful in capturing (although with breakups in the image) the VCR with MyDVD 6 using the same hardware, so I can't see how MyDVD 8 should have compatibility issues with the hardware. My DVD 6 also had zero problems with audio. This must be a setup issue, but I can't resolve it. My Capture Card is a Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II, and yes, I have the most recent driver updates for it from HP.

5) If I select Create or Edit DVD Project, and then try to add a movie by selecting it from the "My media" tab in the "select media file" window, the program locks up.

6) Question: Can I import my DVD Projects that were created using My DVD 6? I tried to select any file in the folders created by MyDVD 6, but this version of the program does not seem to recognize any files, so I can't open anything.

Please advise if you have any clues how to resolve these; this is most frustrating.

The main reason I bought EMC 8 was to try to overcome the capture issues I was having with MyDVD 6. So no, given I bought EMC 8 just a few days ago, i have not tried the other parts of the Suite. They are MUCH LESS important to me than the Capture part of it right now.

Is WinTV 2000 a recent program? You say you use it, with success I assume. I don't have it. I checked the Hauppauge web site and can't find it for download. I have googled it and found it at a number of places but am concerned it might mess up the drivers used by Media Centre software used to record TV, and also concerned about whether these download sites I found in Google are reputable.

Any help you can provide is appreciated. I've heard some people use a Windows recorder program (I can't remember the exact name) to record. Does it work well, as well as your WinTV 2000?

Thanks.

You could try the link that Paul provided. This is the Hauppauge site, but I don't know if your card is listed there. The WinTV2000 software works for me.

http://www.hauppauge.com/

I have the same problem when I try to capture video in anything other then AVI normal quality, with EMC8, I get the message " failed to build capture graph" . I am using WinFast TV2000 to capture with. At first I thought it was my hardware, but I tried Nero Vision Express and Ulead VideoStudio and both capture in any format I want with no problems. I think it may be a compatibilty issue with Roxio and my card. I'm going to try some of the suggestions made by "sknis" and see if that helps. I'm not sure what other problems, if any, I'll have because it's taken me a month just to figure out the video part. I'm not to sure how good the Roxio tech's are, but the guys in this forum have been very helpful in helping me through my problems. I've always used Roxio product and have never had any problems up to now. From the way the "Guru's " talk about version 7 and 7.5 it sounds like Roxio missed the mark with EMC8.

I would start here. It is a trouble shooter for your video card/chip and monitor.

Also make sure that you have plenty of defragged free space on your hard drive. Check for malware. Capturing is probably the second most hard use of your CPU (other than rendering). Many have success without doing anything but you may have to disconnect from the internet and shut down all running programs especially your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.

Since V 8 is new and improved, there are more functions handed off to your video card so the card has to be up to snuff. MyDVD 6 is very different from MyDVD in Version 8.

Some of the Hauppage cards are not compatible with the Roxio programs. MyDVD 6 is a Sonic based program and the card may have worked well; MyDVD 8 is a Roxio based programs so you may have some problems. Can you capture with what you were using originally?

I know that you updated the video drivers. Did you also update the audio ones by going here?

As for your question, I doubt if V8 will import those projects. You may have to burn them to a video file (avi if you have the space) or mpg 2 and then bring them into V8. You can then edit them as you would any video file.

Hi, thanks for the advice. I had already defragged the drive. I regularly scan the PC for spyware using Spysweeper, and of course I use Antivirus software (Norton). I have tried capturing by disabling both programs, but no luck.

I have gone already to both sites you list, and followed the procedures there and downloaded already both the video and audio driver updates. No luck, I'm still getting the fragmented audio, and the preview window hows only part of what I should be seeing. And capturing fails by giving me an error message.

I wondered if my Hauppauge card might be incompatible with EMC 8, but when I went to the Roxio site and "asked Roxanne" for a list of compatible cards, it links to the following site which appears to be a broken link: http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust537/Prod_1...upportcards.htm. So I don't know if my card is compatible or not. Does anyone know of a list of cards that ARE compatible?

I can't say I'm impressed with Roxio's tech support - I bought a full-blown editing sofware package which does not work, and I meet more than the bare hardware requirements. To get support, all I can do is use the automated self help service called Roxanne, or do an online chat only during weekdays (when I'm at work, away from my home PC) with their tech support, and this chat method can be very tedious and slow. To talk to someone on the phone you have to be prepared to plunk down $35, and this after having spent $75 already on the software!

Anyway, any other suggestions? I wonder if I could reinstall MyDVD 6 without removing EMC8 or if there would be a conflict there?

My PVR500 works partly but only started doing so after updating to the latest drivers. You might try this site for some drivers that are tweaked by someone else who's always done a better job than Hauppauge IMO.

The only way to get the best out of your card is with the advice already given here....use the software that came with your card.

Use the WinTV2000 software that came with the Hauppauge card, to capture. I do.

The rest of your post about the program not working is nonsense.

The Hauppauge card came installed on the PC. I have no software on disks for the card, the software on this HP is pre-installed, also contained on a hard drive partition should I need to reinstall. I see nothing called "WinTV 2000", unless it's hidden in some obscure folder. I have Intervideo WinDVD, MYDVD 6, muvee Autoproducer.

As for your last statement, care to explain that? You think it's nonsense to have a system that does not capture video or audio correctly? Do you think I'm imagining this? Question is whether it's the hardware or software or both. MyDVD 6 worked somewhat, although not very well. MyDVD 8 does not work at all. No change in hardware between. Logic dicatates it's the MyDVD 8 software that is either defective, not set up right, or incompatible with the card, but there is no doubt it's not working for whatever reason.

The Hauppauge card came installed on the PC. I have no software on disks for the card, the software on this HP is pre-installed, also contained on a hard drive partition should I need to reinstall. I see nothing called "WinTV 2000", unless it's hidden in some obscure folder. I have Intervideo WinDVD, MYDVD 6, muvee Autoproducer.

As for your last statement, care to explain that? You think it's nonsense to have a system that does not capture video or audio correctly? Do you think I'm imagining this? Question is whether it's the hardware or software or both. MyDVD 6 worked somewhat, although not very well. MyDVD 8 does not work at all. No change in hardware between. Logic dicatates it's the MyDVD 8 software that is either defective, not set up right, or incompatible with the card, but there is no doubt it's not working for whatever reason.

I don't really need to explain anything. You said that you bought a full-blown editing software package which does not work. You said that you can't capture from the Hauppauge card. I can't either, but all else works fine, with the program.

Are you having problems with other programs in the suite?

Archived