• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

After 5 clean installs, still can't use

gwjessup

Question

I have had Roxio Creator since 4 and have upgraded each time a new version came out and had very little trouble with the program, until 10. I have done a clean install of Creator 10 at least five times with the same results. After many emails and three phone calls to Roxio Support I am still experiencing the same installation problems. I have sent this to Roxio, but I am hoping that someone will have that “magic bullet” that will make it work.

My Computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4, 3 GB of RAM and about 150GB of free harddrive space. I upgraded to Vista Home Premium from XP and then upgraded to

Ultimate. I have a Radeon X1300 256MB video card.

I have Windows Install Clean Up and Windows Installer. My last instructions was to do a clean install by going to the command prompt and entering “Net user administrator /active:yes”. I followed the instructions to the letter and got the same results each time.

The clean install requires that you:

Uninstall Roxio by using Windows Uninstall/Install from the Control Panel or Windows Install Clean Up. I have done it both ways.

Disable Startup and Services (checking to hide Microsoft services)

Go to Program Files, Common Files, User Files and deleted Roxio and Sonic Folders

Go to the registry and delete Roxio and Sonic folders from HKEY_CURRENT_USER AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders software folder.

Install Roxio

As I said, I have done this at least 5 times with the same results. The results are:

After the installation is complete a Resource Loader: LoadImage method window comes up. It says: “Skin image “MenuSeparator.png” found but cannot be loaded.” I believe this has something to do with the Audio/Video Converter gadget, but I am not sure. When I click OK, a

Runtime Error message comes up: “Program: ...mon Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray10.exe”

When I click on the Suite icon, it takes ten minutes for it to load. It continues to run the “Gathering required information” over and over again. It reaches a point where it says it has about 14 seconds left, then it starts all over again and does this for 10 minutes.

When the Welcome screen opens up and when I click on VideoWave or MyDVD, a window opens that has ERROR in the top bar and says: “ERROR: Unable to load skin” If I click on other programs, either this message appears or a Runtime error window appears.

I don’t want to give up because I really liked using VideoWave in creating DVD programs.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Merely FYI, I did try a full bare metal install of Vista on a drive that was thoroughly clean using the DOD's drive erasing protocol.

Reformatted drive with NTFS using the full format process.

Tried to install EMC10 once only the OS was in place and no peripherals attached. No luck. Same problems. Gave up...received refund...and gave Nero a try, which did work.

My gut tells me that this is likely a hardware conflict since it seems many running Vista have loaded EMC10 without a problem.

One thing that might underlie the problem with some machines (though I have no way of checking it out) is that Vista uses the Sonic burn engine to drive its native CD and DVD burning. I cannot help but wonder if somehow this might be related to installation difficulties on some machines.

I also got Nero 8 and it works on my system. I have just started playing around with it and don't like it as well as VideoWave. I have not found where you can do pans and zooms on still pictures like you can in VideoWave. If there is, I would appreciate you letting me know.

gwj

I also got Nero 8 and it works on my system. I have just started playing around with it and don't like it as well as VideoWave. I have not found where you can do pans and zooms on still pictures like you can in VideoWave. If there is, I would appreciate you letting me know.

gwj

You're asking how to use Nero, in the Roxio sponsored forums? I do believe that some OTHER forums would be more appropriate, don't you?

Nero is good software, but the video production portion of it is low end. It is limited in what you can do with it.

Now it's time you started drinking some REAL beer Frank :lol:

And you're still not getting any of my real Czech Budweiser :P

Now if I could just find a liquor store somewhere in my location that had your Czech Bud, I'd by a bottle and give it a try. Are you beer drinkers like the Germans and drink their beer warm ? If so you can have my share :P:D If it's yellow and warm, I can only guess what it might taste like <_<:o:P

Frank...

I have had Roxio Creator since 4 and have upgraded each time a new version came out and had very little trouble with the program, until 10. I have done a clean install of Creator 10 at least five times with the same results. After many emails and three phone calls to Roxio Support I am still experiencing the same installation problems. I have sent this to Roxio, but I am hoping that someone will have that “magic bullet” that will make it work.

My Computer is a Dell Dimension 8400, Intel Pentium 4, 3 GB of RAM and about 150GB of free harddrive space. I upgraded to Vista Home Premium from XP and then upgraded to

Ultimate. I have a Radeon X1300 256MB video card.

I have Windows Install Clean Up and Windows Installer. My last instructions was to do a clean install by going to the command prompt and entering “Net user administrator /active:yes”. I followed the instructions to the letter and got the same results each time.

The clean install requires that you:

Uninstall Roxio by using Windows Uninstall/Install from the Control Panel or Windows Install Clean Up. I have done it both ways.

Disable Startup and Services (checking to hide Microsoft services)

Go to Program Files, Common Files, User Files and deleted Roxio and Sonic Folders

Go to the registry and delete Roxio and Sonic folders from HKEY_CURRENT_USER AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folders software folder.

Install Roxio

As I said, I have done this at least 5 times with the same results. The results are:

After the installation is complete a Resource Loader: LoadImage method window comes up. It says: “Skin image “MenuSeparator.png” found but cannot be loaded.” I believe this has something to do with the Audio/Video Converter gadget, but I am not sure. When I click OK, a

Runtime Error message comes up: “Program: ...mon Files\Roxio Shared\10.0\SharedCOM\RoxWatchTray10.exe”

When I click on the Suite icon, it takes ten minutes for it to load. It continues to run the “Gathering required information” over and over again. It reaches a point where it says it has about 14 seconds left, then it starts all over again and does this for 10 minutes.

When the Welcome screen opens up and when I click on VideoWave or MyDVD, a window opens that has ERROR in the top bar and says: “ERROR: Unable to load skin” If I click on other programs, either this message appears or a Runtime error window appears.

I don’t want to give up because I really liked using VideoWave in creating DVD programs.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

When you say you "upgraded" from XP to Vista, then to Ultamate, do you install the OS on top of your previous OS or was it a fresh install?

It has been my experience that an OS "upgrade" causes all kinds of problem for weeks - months to come with your apps.

You can still do a fresh install with a purchased upgrade. If you did indeed do an upgrade, I would suggest you consider a fresh install of the OS.

I like that phrase "False or misleading information is good for NO ONE!".

There are two views presented here. I hope to get infomed as to which one is not "false or misleading".

No it won't! You need a tool like PowerMax or Kill Disk for a Low Level format (Full) overwrites a pattern of zeros to all sectors on the drive. !! Warning !! This test will erase all your data, but the drive will be restored to a 'factory re-certified' condition.

"That way.... Nothing is left behind and your drive is pristine."

cd

I quoted what you wrote in post 5.

False or misleading information is good for NO ONE! The Full Low Level format I talked about in post 8 is not

done with any install disc.

cd

I never referred to a low level format using an install disk

A TRUE low level format can not be done by the user. It is done at the factory. Blank media when installed in a NEW hard drive at the factory has no cylinders, tracks, sectors, etc. The factory format creates all this data and physically writes the info to the platters.

Have you ever had a drive that all of a sudden comes up with bad sectors after a power failure or when your computer is locked and your turn it off and you can not recover those sectors?

The bad sectors come from damaging the data that was written to the media at the factory.

Remember the old days of the MFM & RLL drives. With these drives you were able to and actually had to low level format the drive and it was usually specific to the controller card you used. It was still not the same as the factory format though. If you moved the drive to another computer with a different controller or replaced your controller, you had to do a new low level format. If you recall, you could specify your sector size and then you had to specify the interleave & precomp and if you got those wrong... The drive performance would suck.

If you want, I can explain those variables.

PowerMax & Kill Disk, or Diskkill... Whatever.. do not do a low level format.

False or misleading information is good for NO ONE!

There are two views presented here. I hope to get infomed as to which one is not "false or misleading".

No, your just stirring the pot like always.... it's been awhile since I've heard from you.

I'm not a Hard Drive manufacture and don't control what they name there utility.

Hard drive manufacturers cause some confusion, because they are often still called "low-level format" utilities. A more proper name for this sort of program is a low level zero-fill and diagnostic utility, to rewrite the Hard Drive Profile, MBR, and zero out the drive.

cd

A TRUE low level format can not be done by the user. It is done at the factory. Blank media when installed in a NEW hard drive at the factory has no cylinders, tracks, sectors, etc. The factory format creates all this data and physically writes the info to the platters.

Have you ever had a drive that all of a sudden comes up with bad sectors after a power failure or when your computer is locked and your turn it off and you can not recover those sectors?

The bad sectors come from damaging the data that was written to the media at the factory.

Remember the old days of the MFM & RLL drives. With these drives you were able to and actually had to low level format the drive and it was usually specific to the controller card you used. It was still not the same as the factory format though. If you moved the drive to another computer with a different controller or replaced your controller, you had to do a new low level format. If you recall, you could specify your sector size and then you had to specify the interleave & precomp and if you got those wrong... The drive performance would suck.

Google "low level format".. lots of articals. Try THIS , or THIS ONE

I hope this clears things up.

No, your just stirring the pot like always.... it's been awhile since I've heard from you.

I'm not a Hard Drive manufacture and don't control what they name there utility.

Hard drive manufacturers cause some confusion, because they are often still called "low-level format" utilities. A more proper name for this sort of program is a low level zero-fill and diagnostic utility, to rewrite the Hard Drive Profile, MBR, and zero out the drive.

cd

It's a tie.. :lol:

You could always open a Command Prompt from the start menu and then

'DEBUG -g=c800:5'

:lol:

Now howzat for a blast from the past (or a rave from the grave) :P

Try this... :ninja:

A:>DEBUG [enter]

-A [enter]

MOV AX, 30A [enter] : will write to first 10 sectors

MOV CX, 1 [enter] : start write at sector=1, cylinder=0

MOV DX, 80 [enter] : head=0, drive C:=80, D:=81 etc

MOV BX, 3800 [enter] : BX = 3800

INT 13 [enter] : call BIOS

INT 3 [double enter] : back to DEBUG

-G=100 [enter] : start executing program

-Q [enter] : quit DEBUG

When you say you "upgraded" from XP to Vista, then to Ultamate, do you install the OS on top of your previous OS or was it a fresh install?

It has been my experience that an OS "upgrade" causes all kinds of problem for weeks - months to come with your apps.

You can still do a fresh install with a purchased upgrade. If you did indeed do an upgrade, I would suggest you consider a fresh install of the OS.

Thanks for your response. No, I did not do a fresh install. I have no idea how to do one now. I have the upgrade disk.

Check this website - full 'how to' on clean install of Vista using the upgrade version

Thanks Daithi..

gwjessup, Make sure you save off you important files... Pictures, Documents, etc. Then during the install, use the OS install to delete the existing partition that your old OS is installed on and let the OS recreate and format it. Choose "quick" format (ntfs).

That way.... Nothing is left behind and your drive is pristine.

This sounds similar to the problem I had.

Please note that the Roxio "Clean Installation" instructions are inadequate if you had Easy CD Creator 4 and/or 5 on your PC. These products were produced by Adaptec, and Roxio seem to have forgotten that these directories and registry entries need to be removed as well if you have used these older versions.

Have a quick check to see if you have an Adaptec directory in C:\Programs.

After many retries of the Roxio-provided solution, I had a trawl through the registry and found all sorts of keys with Adaptec in them. I took a registry backup, searched for and removed all the keys with Adaptec (name or data), and I also found some with something like "EasyCDCreatr". Anyway, I removed these keys, removed all Adaptec directories (add "Adaptec" to the list given in Para 4 of the Roxio "Clean Install" instructions), checked out the registry fully with Registry Mechanic so I knew that it was clean and consistent), and then did the remaining steps (para 3 onwards).

It worked for me. Please take care to backup your registry if you do this.

Maybe someone from Roxio could edit the "Clean Installation" instructions??

Good luck.

Thanks Daithi..

gwjessup, Make sure you save off you important files... Pictures, Documents, etc. Then during the install, use the OS install to delete the existing partition that your old OS is installed on and let the OS recreate and format it. Choose "quick" format (ntfs).

Thanks for these suggestions. After reading through the Clean Install instructions, I think I will see if I can't find another solution since Roxio is the only problem I am having.

gwj

cd

There you go! Providing supplemental information to clarify earlier claim/statement is always a good thing to do. Hopefully, the confusion is gone now,eh? :rolleyes:

Thanks Daithi..

No it won't! You need a tool like PowerMax or Kill Disk for a Low Level format (Full) overwrites a pattern of zeros to all sectors on the drive. !! Warning !! This test will erase all your data, but the drive will be restored to a ‘factory re-certified’ condition.

cd ;)

No it won't! You need a tool like PowerMax or Kill Disk for a Low Level format (Full) overwrites a pattern of zeros to all sectors on the drive. !! Warning !! This test will erase all your data, but the drive will be restored to a ‘factory re-certified’ condition.

cd ;)

A full format would be closer to pristine. Quick is essentially a wipe of the TOC's and boot sector. Everything that was there is still there.

But a low lever format, as cd suggests, is the only way to clear a HD.

I quoted what you wrote in post 5.

False or misleading information is good for NO ONE! The Full Low Level format I talked about in post 8 is not

done with any install disc.

cd

There you go! Providing supplemental information to clarify earlier claim/statement is always a good thing to do. Hopefully, the confusion is gone now,eh? :rolleyes:

IMO there never was any confusion. Like I said, just stirring the pot.

Now go complain about cd, to someone who will listen.

cd

Thanks for these suggestions. After reading through the Clean Install instructions, I think I will see if I can't find another solution since Roxio is the only problem I am having.

gwj

Merely FYI, I did try a full bare metal install of Vista on a drive that was thoroughly clean using the DOD's drive erasing protocol.

Reformatted drive with NTFS using the full format process.

Tried to install EMC10 once only the OS was in place and no peripherals attached. No luck. Same problems. Gave up...received refund...and gave Nero a try, which did work.

My gut tells me that this is likely a hardware conflict since it seems many running Vista have loaded EMC10 without a problem.

One thing that might underlie the problem with some machines (though I have no way of checking it out) is that Vista uses the Sonic burn engine to drive its native CD and DVD burning. I cannot help but wonder if somehow this might be related to installation difficulties on some machines.

The packet writing capabilities of Vista shouldn't affect an installation of EMC 10 as that has dropped Drag to Disc so there won't be a clash.

If it's a brand new install of Vista, you really should have installed the drivers (especially the chipset and graphics ones) along with Direct X before the installation of EMC 10 as it does require the correct graphics drivers

Archived