Tsides

Toast 7 (and 7.1.2)

Question

Help! I've used Toast Successfully since its inception, but just installed v. 7 and its respective update 7.1.2 on my new Intel-based MacBook running OSX 10.4.10. The app won't open, and crashes. I called Apple support, but they were stumped. Followed the directions on Toast support page, including clearing out the system and User caches with Cocktail utility. No go. Anyone have an idea? My Toast 7.1.2 still works w/ OSX 10.4.10 on my G4 desktop, so I'm thinking it's an Intel-based Mac issue. And I already tried to upgrade to Toast 8. Sam e results! Thanks!

9 answers to this question

Help! I've used Toast Successfully since its inception, but just installed v. 7 and its respective update 7.1.2 on my new Intel-based MacBook running OSX 10.4.10. The app won't open, and crashes. I called Apple support, but they were stumped. Followed the directions on Toast support page, including clearing out the system and User caches with Cocktail utility. No go. Anyone have an idea? My Toast 7.1.2 still works w/ OSX 10.4.10 on my G4 desktop, so I'm thinking it's an Intel-based Mac issue. And I already tried to upgrade to Toast 8. Sam e results! Thanks!

I've successfully installed Toast 7.1.2 on my intel based MacBook Pro running OS 10.4.10. However, when I updated my quicksilver with a G4 from 10.3.9 to 10.4.10 using a 10.4.10 updater Toast 7.1.2 crashes as soon as it flashes on my desktop. I've tried re-installing it, deleting the preferences, getting feedback from Roxio help and nothing helps. I haven't upgraded to Toast 8; I'm feearful that I will be in the same state!

Anyone have any ideas

Edited by raharris

I've successfully installed Toast 7.1.2 on my intel based MacBook Pro running OS 10.4.10. However, when I updated my quicksilver with a G4 from 10.3.9 to 10.4.10 using a 10.4.10 updater Toast 7.1.2 crashes as soon as it flashes on my desktop. I've tried re-installing it, deleting the preferences, getting feedback from Roxio help and nothing helps. I haven't upgraded to Toast 8; I'm feearful that I will be in the same state!

Anyone have any ideas

I solved my own problem on my G4 today. I discovered a conflict between my Dazzle Hollywood Bridge DM-2200 and Toast. My DM-2200 converts analog video to Digital Firewire. I got a console message "DVIochComponent.c:1191: failed assertion '!(deviceDescriptionPtr->clock==0)' When I disconnected the firewire connector Toast ran like a trooper with no crashes. This Dazzle product is no longer supported. The product still works with iMovie HD so I can plug it in as long as I unplug it when I'm through with it.

I've used Toast since way back on my first laptop, a Mac Duo, I believe with a $2kx2X external drive (wtf, 10-12 years ago?). I want to upgrade to Toast 8 and Popcorn 8, and my wallet is pinched since I just installed Leopard and the new iLife 08. Is there a link up front for d/ling Toast 7.1 again so I can try that workaround for 7 (I have Toast 7.1.2 installed). How soon do you think the 7 patch may appear? I probably have an older copy on a disc somewhere, but I hate to go looking for it. Dunno if I can find my registration password, either, but I probably can.

I get the same error most are reporting the Apple Error -13780, everything works but burning to a disc or writing an image file.

No flaming here, guys, in spite of the frustration. Roxio has always been wonderful, and stuff happens (to quote an unmentionable VP in re: the looting of Iraq; look there for questionable practices, if you will).

One possible source of the problem is a DivX component. There's a documentation video under this blog article.

Anyboy have the detail as to what this video shows? I'm not a member and they seem to have a "freeze" on anyone else joining at the moment, so I'm in the dark. I recently added a DivX Codec and now Toast 7.1.2 is doing exactly the same thing, so it looks like I have the same problem. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Anyboy have the detail as to what this video shows? I'm not a member and they seem to have a "freeze" on anyone else joining at the moment, so I'm in the dark. I recently added a DivX Codec and now Toast 7.1.2 is doing exactly the same thing, so it looks like I have the same problem. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Remove any third-party Quicktime codecs and relaunch Toast. If this works add back the codecs until you find the conflict. There isn't any problem with DiVx as far as I've seen but it may have caused some problem with another codec. Also, use the current version of Perian and read on that site which codecs it replaces.

Remove any third-party Quicktime codecs and relaunch Toast. If this works add back the codecs until you find the conflict. There isn't any problem with DiVx as far as I've seen but it may have caused some problem with another codec. Also, use the current version of Perian and read on that site which codecs it replaces.

Turns out it was the Xvid_Codec 1.0 alpha.component that was causing the conflict. Still, all appears to be working now. Thanks for your input and your suggestions, the step by step approach worked!

Daniel

I've used Toast since way back on my first laptop, a Mac Duo, I believe with a $2kx2X external drive (wtf, 10-12 years ago?). I want to upgrade to Toast 8 and Popcorn 8, and my wallet is pinched since I just installed Leopard and the new iLife 08. Is there a link up front for d/ling Toast 7.1 again so I can try that workaround for 7 (I have Toast 7.1.2 installed). How soon do you think the 7 patch may appear? I probably have an older copy on a disc somewhere, but I hate to go looking for it. Dunno if I can find my registration password, either, but I probably can.

I get the same error most are reporting the Apple Error -13780, everything works but burning to a disc or writing an image file.

No flaming here, guys, in spite of the frustration. Roxio has always been wonderful, and stuff happens (to quote an unmentionable VP in re: the looting of Iraq; look there for questionable practices, if you will).

I downloaded the b7 update for Popcorn 3, and was pleased to find that it opened and was functional. Some operations were really slow, however, and I was looking forward to the "real" update. Popcorn 3.0.2b7 dutifully notified me that a new update was ready for download today, and I downloaded and installed it. Opened Toast 8.0.1 and it also notified me of an update available, and I downloaded and installed Toast 3.0.3 also today. Thanks, both for the beta download and for the new updates, which seem to work beautifully and is much faster than the interim beta update was, in the case of Popcorn. I applaud the new features of the Toast v.8.0.3 and Popcorn v.3.0.2 updates.

I hope you are moving forward with the unsupported Toast 7 and Popcorn 7 updates, for those of us not yet ready to upgrade. :o

I had the same problem when I upgraded my Quicksilver. The QS was linked to my Mac Mini through a firewire hub so that I could us target disk mode. As suggested above, as soon as I disconnected the firewire to the QS the problem was solved--Toast 7 started up fine. Also connected to the hub is a Formac Studio video box, an external DVD burner, and an external HD. If I reconnect the firewire and disconnect the Formac from the hub, Toast starts up fine. When I reconnect the Formac, the problem returns, so thanks for isolating the problem before me. That saved me a lot of time.