• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Layering Sound Files

orborn

Question

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way (in Sound Editor or DVD Builder) to have the beginning few seconds of a music file overlap the last few seconds of the previous music file.

So far, when creating a DVD production I have only been able to fade out the tail end of one music file and fade in the beginning of the next music file, but in doing this the first file has to complete before the next file starts. What I would like to do is have the the second music file begin playing, but while it is playing, you can still hear the last few notes of the previous file fading out. Hope I'm explaining my question clearly.

Don't know if this is possible but any suggestions are appreciated.

Using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7

13 answers to this question

Not sure which version of EMC you are running but as far as I know you cannot overlay sounds in EMC Sound Editor. At least I have never found a way to do it. In Sound Editor you can change the sound file just about any way by cutting, editing and/or deleting portions but not overlaying several different sounds or portions of the same music file. That's using EMC7.1.1.189. If there is a way to do it in sound editor I would like to know myself.

Frank.........

I don't remember if there is a way to do it in 7.1.1.189, Frank. I no longer have it installed, but I can do it quite easily in Version 7.5.

I hate senior moments. :)

Senior moments----Oh Yeah, I certainly know what you mean Bruce. If you can tell me how you can overlay sound files using Sound Editor in version 7.5, I would appreciate it. I have just recently bought ver. 7.5 and I'm checking a lot of the posts on the forum to get a bit of a start on what it can do compared to my 7.1 (updated version). For the most part I haven't been able to see a lot of differences between 7 & 7.5 based on what I have been reading on the forum.

Frank.......

Well, maybe not a "song" Bruce :) . I just recently purchased a retail version of EMC 7.5 and paid $58.90 (not including shipping). I checked all over the internet for it and most of the web sites I found wanted a pretty high "song" price for it. I purchased mine at www.techforless.com.

Frank.....

Wow! I would not have guessed that it would still be that high, but it is still worth the price.

Senior moments----Oh Yeah, I certainly know what you mean Bruce. If you can tell me how you can overlay sound files using Sound Editor in version 7.5, I would appreciate it. I have just recently bought ver. 7.5 and I'm checking a lot of the posts on the forum to get a bit of a start on what it can do compared to my 7.1 (updated version). For the most part I haven't been able to see a lot of differences between 7 & 7.5 based on what I have been reading on the forum.

Frank.......

Ok, to overlap your sound files, open your first file in Sound Editor. Then, open your second sound file. They will actually open on the same layer. At the bottom of the screen, grab the clip that you want to play second, and drag it down to the 2nd layer, and overlap it as much as you want. In the example attached, I used 3 sound files and I dragged the 3rd one down to the 3rd layer.

post-81-1141670124.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way (in Sound Editor or DVD Builder) to have the beginning few seconds of a music file overlap the last few seconds of the previous music file.

So far, when creating a DVD production I have only been able to fade out the tail end of one music file and fade in the beginning of the next music file, but in doing this the first file has to complete before the next file starts. What I would like to do is have the the second music file begin playing, but while it is playing, you can still hear the last few notes of the previous file fading out. Hope I'm explaining my question clearly.

EMC 7.0, 7.1, or 7.5? I don't remember how or if it can be done in 7.0 or 7.1, but it is a piece of cake in 7.5

Great going Bruce and thanks for the great diagrams and information on how to overlay sound files in EMC 7.5. Boy, Those diagrams look nothing like my version 7.1.1.189. If there are many more of these inhancements to 7.5 I am glad I bought it. I use Sound Editor quite often and I am sure I will find productions where I can use this new added feature. Thanks again Bruce for the time you spent helping me.

Caio

Frank..........

Great going Bruce and thanks for the great diagrams and information on how to overlay sound files in EMC 7.5. Boy, Those diagrams look nothing like my version 7.1.1.189. If there are many more of these inhancements to 7.5 I am glad I bought it. I use Sound Editor quite often and I am sure I will find productions where I can use this new added feature. Thanks again Bruce for the time you spent helping me.

Caio

Frank..........

You are welcome, Frank. I actually used the Sound Editor in Version 7.0 quite a bit. I could do darn near anything I wanted to, but when 7.5 came out, I forgot all about 7.0, because 7.5 was so much better.

Version 8 is basically the same Sound Editor.

Should be easy in Videowave, just use one of the other sound tracks and add add your audio clip to overlap the first audio clip

If you are worjing in DVD Builder, use the "advanced editor" to do this.

Actually Videowave is a better program to do editing etc, DVD Builder is mainly for creating menus and burning.

Thanks heaps for the help. I tried your suggestion and it worked beautifully. Don't know how I would get by without access to the internet and these forums.

I got it to work in Video Wave but I haven't been able to accomplish the task in Sound Editor. But anyway, I'm rockin & rollin now. Thanks again.

Not sure which version of EMC you are running but as far as I know you cannot overlay sounds in EMC Sound Editor. At least I have never found a way to do it. In Sound Editor you can change the sound file just about any way by cutting, editing and/or deleting portions but not overlaying several different sounds or portions of the same music file. That's using EMC7.1.1.189. If there is a way to do it in sound editor I would like to know myself.

Frank.........

Archived