• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error Adding Mpg Movie

naplesrob@swfla.rr.com

Question

When adding a MPG movie file in MYDVD V 8.0 the files all have a red circle and a slash through them.

Version 6.0 on the same computer recognizes them as MPG files and adds them. Anyone else having

this problem? Any known solution? I've spent hours browsing through the forums and support and

can't find anything.

Thanks,

Rob

7 answers to this question

When adding a MPG movie file in MYDVD V 8.0 the files all have a red circle and a slash through them.

Version 6.0 on the same computer recognizes them as MPG files and adds them. Anyone else having

this problem? Any known solution? I've spent hours browsing through the forums and support and

can't find anything.

Thanks,

Rob

I have no clue if this will work in version 8, but it was a fix for version 7.

http://tools.roxio.com/support/hotfix/prefup.exe

b. Close all open software including Internet Explorer and any Roxio applications

c. Double click on the 'prefup.exe' file located on your desktop

d. Choose 'yes' to apply the 'PrefTable Update'

e. Read the information presented on screen before applying the update

f. Once you have read the items listed there, choose 'I agree' to continue

g. Once installed, click the 'close' button

h. Reboot your computer

i. This issue should now be fixed and all DV files should be usable

- Patrick

Electronic ResponseRoxio Home Page | Roxann Virtual Agent | Knowledge Base

I have no clue if this will work in version 8, but it was a fix for version 7.

http://tools.roxio.com/support/hotfix/prefup.exe

b. Close all open software including Internet Explorer and any Roxio applications

c. Double click on the 'prefup.exe' file located on your desktop

d. Choose 'yes' to apply the 'PrefTable Update'

e. Read the information presented on screen before applying the update

f. Once you have read the items listed there, choose 'I agree' to continue

g. Once installed, click the 'close' button

h. Reboot your computer

i. This issue should now be fixed and all DV files should be usable

- Patrick

Electronic ResponseRoxio Home Page | Roxann Virtual Agent | Knowledge Base

It did not work. Why would I be the only one with this problem? How do I get them to make a patch for V8?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

I'm pretty sure the red circle with the slash means you don't have the right codec to process the file.If you use a program call GSpot,which you can get for free,it will probably tell you the codec you're missing.Then you can go out and download it.I've had this same thing happen and the codec is what it ends up being.

I've had, in previous versions, to use the prefup more than once with rebooting in between for it to work but for some reason, it doesn't seem to work for everyone. I believe it's a conflict. It's also possible the audio codec could be the problem. As Terry suggested, try Gspot and it'll tell you what the file needs and what your systems has or doesn't have to play the file properly.

Thanks for all the help! I download GSpot but not sure what it does. I never realized this can

get complicated. My wife and I just adopted a baby girl and I ran out and bought a Sony Digital

DVD camera. Never bothered taking videos until now, so I'm new at this. Thanks again.

Congratulations on your baby girl---yep, you'll need to get lots of pictures as they grow fast!

Start Gspot and to the right of the 'Path' and browse to the file you need to check on. It might take a second but it will read the file and show the codec info on the right.

I see this is for an mpeg file and unfortunately, you're not likely to get much info on mpeg files. I'm still interested in what it tells you.

Archived