Videowave won't read files from Sony DCR-Dvd 508

theslaz

Question

Just bought a DCR-DVD Sony 508. Can import movie file from the camera via the USB port to my computer using the included Sony software. It is saved in the MPG formate. I have the latest ( I believe as I just bought it from Roxio ) Video Wave Premier suite 8 program. When I attempt to use the Video Wave program to edit my movie files it will not read them. It will show them on screen; however they are marked as unreadable. I read somewhere that because of Sony's MPG format; Video wave will not read these files and they should be converted to some other format. Is this correct? If so; what is a good program that will accomplish this?

10 answers to this question

Having a few problems here, Maybe you can enlighten me.

Have disc in my DVD reader. Hit the capture button. The module loads. It has two choices in The Roxio Media Import module: Video and Photo. Pressing the video button will show my DVD drive that has the disc. Choosing it will do nothing. If I choose the Photo button; it again will show my DVD drive plus all my other drives. Choosing the DVD drive will show all the files on my DVD. I choose one of the VOB files and hit capture and it put the file on my hardrive. I than went back into the root program and choose EDIT; the module loads and I choose ADD PHOTO/VIDEO. I told the module where to look and it will not show the VOB files as I'm assuming it doesn't recognize this file format! I tried renaming the file to MOV and it came up with an error.

What am I doing wrong?

Have disc in my DVD reader. Hit the capture button. The module loads. It has two choices in The Roxio Media Import module: Video and Photo. Pressing the video button will show my DVD drive that has the disc. Choosing it will do nothing. If I choose the Photo button; it again will show my DVD drive plus all my other drives. Choosing the DVD drive will show all the files on my DVD. I choose one of the VOB files and hit capture and it put the file on my hardrive. I than went back into the root program and choose EDIT; the module loads and I choose ADD PHOTO/VIDEO. I told the module where to look and it will not show the VOB files as I'm assuming it doesn't recognize this file format! I tried renaming the file to MOV and it came up with an error.

What am I doing wrong?

Third time: Did you finalize the disc in your camera?

Just bought a DCR-DVD Sony 508. Can import movie file from the camera via the USB port to my computer using the included Sony software. It is saved in the MPG formate. I have the latest ( I believe as I just bought it from Roxio ) Video Wave Premier suite 8 program. When I attempt to use the Video Wave program to edit my movie files it will not read them. It will show them on screen; however they are marked as unreadable. I read somewhere that because of Sony's MPG format; Video wave will not read these files and they should be converted to some other format. Is this correct? If so; what is a good program that will accomplish this?

Finalize the disc, in your video camera, then take the disc out, put it in your DVD drive, and capture from there.

EMC 9 and EMC 10 let you bring the .vob file directly into VideoWave, but EMC 8 won't.

What am I doing wrong?

First, I have to make the assumption that when you say DVD reader, you are talking about the DVD drive on your computer.

When you hit capture, I think it should show your DVD drive, twice, and you pick the one that says DVD by it. EMC 8 should be capturing the entire disc as an mpeg file, not .vob files.

Tried renaming the file; didn't work. I did some playing with the program that Sony had included in the Video Camera package. I found that if I do a minor edit of the file with Sony's program and then save it; VideoWave will than read the file and I'm able to edit at will. This is probably what I'll have to do if I want to use VideoWave.

I do have Explorer 7 and Media Player 11 on my computer. Could be the problem. Is there a work around other than investing in another version of EMC?

Tried renaming the file; didn't work. I did some playing with the program that Sony had included in the Video Camera package. I found that if I do a minor edit of the file with Sony's program and then save it; VideoWave will than read the file and I'm able to edit at will. This is probably what I'll have to do if I want to use VideoWave.

I do have Explorer 7 and Media Player 11 on my computer. Could be the problem. Is there a work around other than investing in another version of EMC?

Yes, roll IE7 back to IE6 via Add/Remove Programs, and roll WMP 11 back to WMP 10 via the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme.../11/readme.aspx

Yes; you told me to finalize; that is what I did. Explorer shows the dvd as having three types of files; BUP; IFO; and VOB. I believe this is normal for a movie on a DVD.

The disk is in one of my DVD readers as I have two. Like I said; when I hit capture; the module loads and it gives me two choices; a PHOTO tab and a VIDEO tab. I would assume; that being that I'm playing around with a video file; I would choose the VIDEO tab. Pressing that tab will show me the DVD drive that contains my finalized dvd. When I select that drive; the screen will fash for a sec and it takes me right back to the orginal screen. Now if I choose the PHOTO tab; then I get results. Pressing it will bring up a screen showing me all my drives on my computer. When I select the dvd drive with my finalized dvd in it; it will show all the files. The IFO and The VOB files. I choose one of the VOB files and hit import and it does it's thing. It imports the VOB file as a VOB file. THis is where I must be doing something wrong; as like you said; I should be getting a MPG file.

I think my problem is with the VIDEO tab; why it isn't working or allowing me to capture from the dvd is beyond me.

Whilst I await your reply; I will try my other dvd drive and also try my laptop to see if I can get it to work.

Yes; you told me to finalize; that is what I did. Explorer shows the dvd as having three types of files; BUP; IFO; and VOB. I believe this is normal for a movie on a DVD.

The disk is in one of my DVD readers as I have two. Like I said; when I hit capture; the module loads and it gives me two choices; a PHOTO tab and a VIDEO tab. I would assume; that being that I'm playing around with a video file; I would choose the VIDEO tab. Pressing that tab will show me the DVD drive that contains my finalized dvd. When I select that drive; the screen will fash for a sec and it takes me right back to the orginal screen. Now if I choose the PHOTO tab; then I get results. Pressing it will bring up a screen showing me all my drives on my computer. When I select the dvd drive with my finalized dvd in it; it will show all the files. The IFO and The VOB files. I choose one of the VOB files and hit import and it does it's thing. It imports the VOB file as a VOB file. THis is where I must be doing something wrong; as like you said; I should be getting a MPG file.

I think my problem is with the VIDEO tab; why it isn't working or allowing me to capture from the dvd is beyond me.

Whilst I await your reply; I will try my other dvd drive and also try my laptop to see if I can get it to work.

No, if you look at the disc files, in Explorer, you will see the .vob files, etc. It is after you capture that it is an mpeg file.

I don't know why your computer crashes back to the main screen when you try to capture. Do you have Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 installed. Both of those will kill functioning in any Roxio suite prior to EMC 9.

Also, you can copy the files, from your DVD, to your hard drive, and change the .vob files to .mpg, and see if VideoWave will accept them. It works for some folks.

Archived