Combining Scenes

arnold931

Question

I'm afraid I already know the answer to this!

I had a large (1 1/2 hour) video that I used Auto Scene Detection to break up into scenes. I then went into VideoWave and deleted some of the short scenes as well as using Video Trimmer to clean up the beginnings and endings of some of the scenes.

I have now decided that I want to combine some of the scenes back together since Auto Detection erroneously broke up some scenes. I assume the place to do that is in Media Manager. When I go into Media Manager, it doesn't appear to know about the deleting and trimming that I did in VideoWave.

Do I need to start over again in VideoWave, deleting and combining scenes before I do any work in VideoWave?

5 answers to this question

I'm just saying there's no reason to merge two scenes together. In the final output, ALL scenes will be merged into a single file. When you get to MyDVD to create chapters, you don't have to have a chapter at each individual scene. Chapter marks are made separately and can be anywhere - even in the middle of a 'scene'.

Thanks. You are right. When I play the movie, you really don't know that there are several scenes strung together since I had deleted any scene transitions between the scenes I wanted together.

The only problem I have now is I want to change the other scene transitions and VideoWave insists on applying transitions between every scene. So I just need to apply the transitions manually.

I'll be smarter next time and manually select my scene breaks.

VideoWave insists on applying transitions between every scene..

Only if you have chosen a 'transition theme'. Then , yes it will apply a transition between all clips. Personally, I've never used a transition theme except for a few slideshows. I prefer to manually select where and when there is a transition.

All editing is done in Videowave. The 'scenes' really isn't separate files. You still only have one large file on the hard drive. NOTHING is ever done to the original file. Videowave just keeps a 'to do ' list of edits to be done at the time of render which creates a second file that is actually burned. Doing things like scene detect, cuts, trimming, transitions, etc., never affect the original file. This way you can always start over if something happens you didn't expect.

I don't think there is any way to manually change the scenes in Media Manager. Most likely you will need to start over in Videowave. Remember that scenes and Chapter marks are not necessarily the same thing. However when in MyDVD, you can have chapter marks placed where the scenes are, too.

Archived