D2D eject options

td1947

Question

Hi, I have just obtained 8.2 LE to replace an old 7.x REMC, but the DRAG-TO-DISC just creates bad CD-R disks. I see that I can "disable" the eject intervention, so that it "leaves disks as is". However, my understanding was, that I would need the "finalize" functions applied so I could read the CD-R crrated (with MP3 files) on my DVD PLAYER, or car player, or another PC. Doing this creates an unreadable disk, that shows an error "invalid function". Any advice appreciated. This is XP, with an HP (MITSUMI) CD-RW drive.

Thanks TD1947

12 answers to this question

First, "LE" indicates it is an OEM Version [Original Equipment Mfgr], and the Manufacturer is responsible for technical support.

Second, if the idea is to make a disc playable in a music player or DVD player, cdanteek has given the options you need to use.

Lynn

First, "LE" indicates it is an OEM Version [Original Equipment Mfgr], and the Manufacturer is responsible for technical support.

Second, if the idea is to make a disc playable in a music player or DVD player, cdanteek has given the options you need to use.

Lynn

Hi, thanks for all the useful input. I will certainly try the more "correct" functionality for creating MP3 CD's. I just tried the D2D, as it looked quick and simple to test that the new software DID create CD-R OK. Is this D2D part of 8.2 LE only for limited use (i.e. is it only recommended for CD-RW set up for drag and drop functionality for file data backups, where the CD-RW has been "prepared" by one of the formatting functions beforehand)?? If not that, then what is D2D for please?? If I was doing something wrong, inppropriate, or incorrectly set up media, I would expect the product to tell me that, and have defensive code in place to do that. thanks TD1947

Hi, thanks for all the useful input. I will certainly try the more "correct" functionality for creating MP3 CD's. I just tried the D2D, as it looked quick and simple to test that the new software DID create CD-R OK. Is this D2D part of 8.2 LE only for limited use (i.e. is it only recommended for CD-RW set up for drag and drop functionality for file data backups, where the CD-RW has been "prepared" by one of the formatting functions beforehand)?? If not that, then what is D2D for please?? If I was doing something wrong, inppropriate, or incorrectly set up media, I would expect the product to tell me that, and have defensive code in place to do that. thanks TD1947

I can burn data many ways with burn software. You need to do YOUR homework, start here.

cd

I can burn data many ways with burn software. You need to do YOUR homework, start here.

cd

I am sorry, but I find your reply above totally inappropriate. I do not expect to read a book on how watches work to tell the time. Likewise, I do not expect to have to read about UDF and packet writing standards, to use purhased software to do the job for me.

The sofware applet window came up after a default install of REMC 8.2, and it looked easy to use, so I chose that to run a quick check. I know there is no such thing as perfect software, that is why I have a job in IT myself. However, most things in WINTEL land work out of the box, with very little set-up, provided the hardware and software is compatible. As I stated in a previous post, if I was doing something incorrect, inapopriate, or the media was incorrect, or not set up or formatted if required,, then this peice of "software" should tell me that. If, as I see on other posts, that people are told to "avoid it", then that appears to be good evidence that it is not written correctly, and is buggy. If that is so, then let us discuss that point, and if you could recommend a patch, of "better" level of a ROXIO product that works, and does what it says on the tin, I would be very pleased to hear about it. Regards, Tony.

I am sorry, but I find your reply above totally inappropriate. I do not expect to read a book on how watches work to tell the time. Likewise, I do not expect to have to read about UDF and packet writing standards, to use purhased software to do the job for me.

The sofware applet window came up after a default install of REMC 8.2, and it looked easy to use, so I chose that to run a quick check. I know there is no such thing as perfect software, that is why I have a job in IT myself. However, most things in WINTEL land work out of the box, with very little set-up, provided the hardware and software is compatible. As I stated in a previous post, if I was doing something incorrect, inapopriate, or the media was incorrect, or not set up or formatted if required,, then this peice of "software" should tell me that. If, as I see on other posts, that people are told to "avoid it", then that appears to be good evidence that it is not written correctly, and is buggy. If that is so, then let us discuss that point, and if you could recommend a patch, of "better" level of a ROXIO product that works, and does what it says on the tin, I would be very pleased to hear about it. Regards, Tony.

Re-read post #3.

The software has proven to be fine over the year it was in production.

But if a user is too lazy to learn how it works, nobody can write an idiot-proof software to address an idiot of that magnitude…

The software has proven to be fine over the year it was in production.

But if a user is too lazy to learn how it works, nobody can write an idiot-proof software to address an idiot of that magnitude…

Well, this is a charming response to a serious point, on a forum that is supposed to help ROXIO users!

Just beause you are a 6-star poster, and I assume very technical on these subjects does NOT give you the right to brand people idiots.

YOU may be happy to accept software with bugs, I am not. I do NOT have the time to reseach stuff that should work with "intuitive" interfaces, that is what WINDOWS products should be all about. I am sure that the CORE bits of REMC 8.2 are FINE, just like you say, but let us stick to the point about D2D - when is it OK to use, and NOT to use this interface? I am very close to going back to NERO at this juncture, I must say!! TD1947 :angry2:

Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) was created to quickly save large quantities of information (large being defined as "greater than 1.44MB, or a floppy disc). It was (and is) used by those who know what it is for short-term projects, such as during the creation of a web-page, or to transfer files between computers when there is no other option available - altho these days with Flash drives (aka Pen / Thumb / Keychain / Jump drives) and External Hard Drives inexpensive and easily available, it's hard to make much of a case for using Packet-Writing for that.

Packet-Writing can be very fussy about being read, and can fail for any reason or none at all. Packet-Writing from different companies is mutually incompatable for writing info (altho thre's a good chance it may be readable, especially if the disc was closed), and often is incompatible between different Versions of the same company.

But the most important point in your case, is Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) will not work on non-computer devices such as you are trying to use (mp3 player, DVD player).

Oh - and if it is data you want to save, use a Sessions-based program such as Creator Classic, or WinXP's built-in burning ability. But that is separate from your main question.

Lynn

Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) was created to quickly save large quantities of information (large being defined as "greater than 1.44MB, or a floppy disc). It was (and is) used by those who know what it is for short-term projects, such as during the creation of a web-page, or to transfer files between computers when there is no other option available - altho these days with Flash drives (aka Pen / Thumb / Keychain / Jump drives) and External Hard Drives inexpensive and easily available, it's hard to make much of a case for using Packet-Writing for that.

Packet-Writing can be very fussy about being read, and can fail for any reason or none at all. Packet-Writing from different companies is mutually incompatable for writing info (altho thre's a good chance it may be readable, especially if the disc was closed), and often is incompatible between different Versions of the same company.

But the most important point in your case, is Packet-Writing (Drag2Disc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD, etc) will not work on non-computer devices such as you are trying to use (mp3 player, DVD player).

Oh - and if it is data you want to save, use a Sessions-based program such as Creator Classic, or WinXP's built-in burning ability. But that is separate from your main question.

Lynn

I knew it was coming!! doh.giffaint.gif

cd

Lynn

Lynne, many thanks for your very informative reply. I will try to find time to use the CORE functions of 8.2, hopefully they will be fine. If the D2D creates incompatibilities, I will probably avoid that, unless it works OK to read stuff back in the same PC, for quick odd bits of backup. Regards, Tony.

Lynne, many thanks for your very informative reply. I will try to find time to use the CORE functions of 8.2, hopefully they will be fine. If the D2D creates incompatibilities, I will probably avoid that, unless it works OK to read stuff back in the same PC, for quick odd bits of backup. Regards, Tony.

The only time that Drag to Disc should be used is when you want to immediately copy data from one computer to another. Otherwise, use Creator Classic for saving important data.

Archived