• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"home" Window Missing Functions

bkzoner

Hello,

I just purchased and installed Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 on my XP Home SP1 system. In the "Home" window of the program, only the "Disk Copier" and "Disk Creator Classic" functions appear. I have downloaded and installed the engine update and the six other updates (to version 6.1.1.48).

Any ideas, please?

Thank you,

Tania

Where did you purchase it?It almost sounds like you've gotten a hold of an OEM version with limited capabilities.Version 6 is 3 Versions old,not sure they even sell it brand new anymore.

It IS an OEM version. I never have understood OEM issues completely. The installation CD says, "For use on HP & Compaq Personal Computers". It also says, "Not licensed for resale individually". I got it from pronetcd.com. I assume this means I am stuck with the limited capabilities?

FYI

An OEM is usually a version that a large computer manufacturer buys and installs to sell preinstalled on their computer (sometimes they may add features that are only available in the full retail Platinum eddition) The computer buyer gets a copy of the preinstalled software in case they have to reinstall it on their computer. For example, if the files get corrupt or the hard drive has to be reformatted, that computer user needs a copy of the software to reinstall the software that came with the computer. OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Some OEM, versions come with CD burners.

These "Basic" versions vary and are customized to fit the contract of the OEM purchaser.

Likewise, ALL support comes from your OEM provider and not from Roxio. Contact your OEM provider and see what they have to say

I have read on here that Version 6 is still available on Ebay for a good price. If you want to stay with Version 6 make sure you get the Platinum version.

It IS an OEM version. I never have understood OEM issues completely. The installation CD says, "For use on HP & Compaq Personal Computers". It also says, "Not licensed for resale individually". I got it from pronetcd.com. I assume this means I am stuck with the limited capabilities?

OEM means it's a version that can only legally be sold or supplied with the hardware it is contracted for. In this case, it probably originally was part of a PC Bundle sold by HP. Most OEM versions of software are "limited editions" or "basic" versions, that do not include all of the features and functionality of the full retail product.

You may want to contact that pronetcd place you bought it from to see if you can get your money back, but I doubt it's possible. Doesn't sound like a very legit place to me.

If you want the full version of ECDC6, you'll need to purchase it from a reputable seller. Some electronics stores still sell it, or it can be purchsed direct from Roxio here:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/products_windows98.jhtml

If your operating system is XP or W2K, you may be better off looking at a more recent version likt EMC8, EMC 7 or EMC 7.5

I thank you both for your replies, and helpful information. I've gone through 2 CD burner drives, and finally decided to buy a more expensive CD/DVD burner, and it's due to arrive today. I wanted a reliable CD/DVD burner program to use with it, and perhaps this limited edition software will do at least to burn CD's. Perhaps the burner I get today will come with its own software.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

I thank you both for your replies, and helpful information. I've gone through 2 CD burner drives, and finally decided to buy a more expensive CD/DVD burner, and it's due to arrive today. I wanted a reliable CD/DVD burner program to use with it, and perhaps this limited edition software will do at least to burn CD's. Perhaps the burner I get today will come with its own software.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Usually there's no problem getting such programs on eBay. Usually the seller is either a liquidator (someone who sells the leftovers after something is no longer current) or individuals who have upgraded and are selling the old program on. Check the eBay record - not just the total, but click thru and see how that breaks down to positives and negatives, and what kind of negatives.

HOWEVER, if you have two new burner drives en route, they probably will come with software - and it will be software the seller feels will work well with the burner. (The exception is older drives which are either being liquidated or sold on, as above. I have bought two burners on eBay - one when my P-2 class computer was new, and was being luiquidated, and the second which was unused but a few years old to replace the first one.)

Lynn

Archived