rbaumchen

EMC9 not recognizing .mp2 file

Question

I have a .mp2 file I am trying to get into VideoWave so I can edit it. It doent recognize it. I have tried to change the file extension to .mpg,.mpeg2,.m2p when I do this it will recognize the file but I lose the audio to it?

20 answers to this question

I have a .mp2 file I am trying to get into VideoWave so I can edit it. It doent recognize it. I have tried to change the file extension to .mpg,.mpeg2,.m2p when I do this it will recognize the file but I lose the audio to it?

An mp2 file is not an audio file

The MP2 format does not refer to an MPEG-2 video file, which usually has a .MPG extension.

An mp2 file is not an audio file

The MP2 format does not refer to an MPEG-2 video file, which usually has a .MPG extension.

I think it does refer to MPEG-2 because when I use Pinnacle Studio 10 that what it tells me its recognizing it as an MPEG-2 file. So its a recognizable file by Pinnalce but not Roxio, WHY??

I think it does refer to MPEG-2 because when I use Pinnacle Studio 10 that what it tells me its recognizing it as an MPEG-2 file. So its a recognizable file by Pinnalce but not Roxio, WHY??

I doesn't refer to an MPEG-2 file. It is an audio file.

http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file_extension.php?mp2

That is just one hit, of many, using google.

Edited by grandpabruce

A mp2 file is an audio file

If Pinnacle recognizes it as a mpeg2 file then its not a mp2 file and has the wrong extension. It might be an m2p file which is an mpeg2 format

I doesn't refer to an MPEG-2 file. It is an audio file.

http://www.sharpened.net/helpcenter/file_extension.php?mp2

That is just one hit, of many, using google.

Trust me I know the definitions I have been dealing with this for a couple days I have done every dang search I can but this is the file I am dealing with. I also downloaded Gspot codec and it tells me I have all the codecs installed properly and its using a MPEG2 codec to read it.

Where'd you get the file from? Could it be in a proprietary format that Roxio won't read? Does it play ok in Windows Media Player?

Where'd you get the file from? Could it be in a proprietary format that Roxio won't read? Does it play ok in Windows Media Player?

Wow, I'm angry. :angry2:

I was working with this person with multiple pm messages and trying to find an answer from the other thread in "How to" and he is now posting this here. His original post was added to a different thread talking about different formats such as MOV.

He can see the file in VideoWave (I think but his answers have changed) but he cannot hear the audio. Zero length when extracted. Probably used USB to capture or something else. Can't seem to get a straight answer from poster.

I wish I had the power to lock or delete this thead. Having two different threads running and not sying anything is just plain old crap !

Edited by sknis

I've seen posts down in the DVDiT (their Pro line of DVD authoring software) boards that refers to .mp2 files as being an elementary stream that contains only video or audio, but typically it's noted as an audio elementary stream. It's only noted as a video elementary stream when created by a copule of software editors.

So my guess is, is that if that .mp2 file is actually a video stream, it contains no audio and there should be an accompanying file (like .mpa) that actually contains the audio.

Wow, I'm angry. :angry2:

I was working with this person with multiple pm messages and trying to find an answer from the other thread in "How to" and he is now posting this here. His original post was added to a different thread talking about different formats such as MOV.

He can see the file in VideoWave (I think but his answers have changed) but he cannot hear the audio. Zero length when extracted. Probably used USB to capture or something else. Can't seem to get a straight answer from poster.

I wish I had the power to lock or delete this thead. Having two different threads running and not sying anything is just plain old crap !

Dude you need to take a chill, I appreciate all the work you have done but go look at the other thread it talks about mp2 files and mov files just need to be changed to mpg files you should really read the whole thing it was talking about file types not being recognized and thats what i have a file thats not recognized. I couldnt see the video in videowave until I changed the file extension. Didnt use usb to capture I am sorry you feel like you wasted time with me but I do appreciate all your efforts it just I am in crunch time and trying to figure this out. There are people waiting to make decisions based on my conclusions and I really like ROxio but if it will not accept my MP2 file then I will have to try something different. Done be a JERK!!!

It came off of a Sanyo DSR-M810 DVR. It is from Sanyo CIMM system. It does play in Windows Media Player

I've seen posts down in the DVDiT (their Pro line of DVD authoring software) boards that refers to .mp2 files as being an elementary stream that contains only video or audio, but typically it's noted as an audio elementary stream. It's only noted as a video elementary stream when created by a copule of software editors.

So my guess is, is that if that .mp2 file is actually a video stream, it contains no audio and there should be an accompanying file (like .mpa) that actually contains the audio.

It plays fine in Media Player with Video and Audio

I took a peak at the info for your DVR and it simply says it uses MPEG2 Video Compression. I'm not sure why you're having this problem. Seems to me it should work fine. I would have tried the same things you did. Sorry, I've got nothing else for you but to suggest you visit videohelp.com or the After Dawn forums and ask some of the folks there what they suggest. I think they both have a DVR section.

Dude you need to take a chill, I appreciate all the work you have done but go look at the other thread it talks about mp2 files and mov files just need to be changed to mpg files you should really read the whole thing it was talking about file types not being recognized and thats what i have a file thats not recognized. I couldnt see the video in videowave until I changed the file extension. Didnt use usb to capture I am sorry you feel like you wasted time with me but I do appreciate all your efforts it just I am in crunch time and trying to figure this out. There are people waiting to make decisions based on my conclusions and I really like ROxio but if it will not accept my MP2 file then I will have to try something different. Done be a JERK!!!

It came off of a Sanyo DSR-M810 DVR. It is from Sanyo CIMM system. It does play in Windows Media Player

It plays fine in Media Player with Video and Audio

that still doesn't make it a valid compatible file for all editors. Editing video/audio is different than playin it. A lot of players will play non-compliant or corrupt files. Editors are more picky about the streams.

I took a peak at the info for your DVR and it simply says it uses MPEG2 Video Compression. I'm not sure why you're having this problem. Seems to me it should work fine. I would have tried the same things you did. Sorry, I've got nothing else for you but to suggest you visit videohelp.com or the After Dawn forums and ask some of the folks there what they suggest. I think they both have a DVR section.

Thank you very much, I agree all their stuff says MPEG2 format. I have the product specs sitting right in front of me. Thats also what Sanyo is telling me that its a MPEG2 format. So I just dont know why its not working.

Thanks again

There are lots of freeware/shareware that could probably convert it to standard MPEG 2. Try TMPGenc. They have a free version although I find it a bit confusing to use.

Edited by ggrussell

There are lots of freeware/shareware that could probably convert it to standard MPEG 2. Try TMPGenc. They have a free version although I find it a bit confusing to use.

I don't think the free version allows any mpeg2 encoding/decoding according to their web-site.

Just maybe SUPER will work.

I appreciate all the info but I have to have the file be able to go straight into the editing software. The end users on this will be lawyers who do not have the time to go through conversion and stuff like that. We are just trying to find the best possible solution for them and Roxio may not be it. Thanks again everybody

I appreciate all the info but I have to have the file be able to go straight into the editing software. The end users on this will be lawyers who do not have the time to go through conversion and stuff like that. We are just trying to find the best possible solution for them and Roxio may not be it. Thanks again everybody

Since Pinnacle is one of very few editing programs that will recognize your mp2 file, why don't you use its editor. After doing some googling, it seems that mp2 is a mpeg2 format that was created by Pinnacle and is of course non-standard.

Where did that file come from?

Since Pinnacle is one of very few editing programs that will recognize your mp2 file, why don't you use its editor. After doing some googling, it seems that mp2 is a mpeg2 format that was created by Pinnacle and is of course non-standard.

Where did that file come from?

Honestly I really am not a fan of pinnacle it creates too many temp files and I have had lots of problems with audio and video sync when using pinnacle. I have had lots of luck with Roxio and would prefer to use it. It came from a Sanyo DSR-M800 DVR

Honestly I really am not a fan of pinnacle it creates too many temp files and I have had lots of problems with audio and video sync when using pinnacle. I have had lots of luck with Roxio and would prefer to use it. It came from a Sanyo DSR-M800 DVR

Is there some way to use Pinnacle to convert (without doing any editing) to a format that will be acceptable to Roxio?

I am not a fan of Pinnacle either. Its funny though that you mention audio/sync problems with Pinnacle. There are lots of posters on these Roxio forums from people who complain about audio/video sync problems with Roxio. Some of them think tose problems are unique to Roxio and don't believe that a/v sync problems occur with all video software.

Is there some way to use Pinnacle to convert (without doing any editing) to a format that will be acceptable to Roxio?

I am not a fan of Pinnacle either. Its funny though that you mention audio/sync problems with Pinnacle. There are lots of posters on these Roxio forums from people who complain about audio/video sync problems with Roxio. Some of them think tose problems are unique to Roxio and don't believe that a/v sync problems occur with all video software.

If it helps at all...

I've seen a lot of various extensions for mpg2 video with/without audio, and, a lot of software has restrictions on what it'll import well. In some cases I've had luck muxing the video file in TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools, and not supplying an audio file to add with the video -- this alters the file structure enough that a video-only stream will work in a lot of programs (like wmplayer) where it wouldn't previously. I've also de-muxed the converted file I'd just gotten, again using the MPEG Tools, and gotten a m2v file that worked in other apps that refused mpg. There are other tools available at videohelp.com, but *usually* MPEG Tools seems the most trouble free out of any I've tried so far.

FWIW, & again if it helps at all, it seems Roxio software likes *real* muxed mpg the best out of anything I've tried, but those are my results only.

For DVDR video I usually use one of the programs from videohelp to de-mux or strip the separate audio & video files, do any cut editing/trimming, then mux for Roxio. If not editing/trimming (without re-encoding), EMC9's Copy works & skips some extra work -- just the apps I use for cutting/trimming only accept separate audio & video files. When not avoiding re-encoding mpg2, DGIndex/VFAPI might help in Pinnacle. Mpg2 files can vary a lot -- the spec only covers decoding it... There are a lot of utilities that can repair &/or re-write a mpg2 file so it often works in whatever software.

I have not tried DVR files, say to a set top box with hdd, so don't know what or if any of that applies. I've read of several strategies for dealing with streams of video/audio -- there seems to be a lot of variance -- so it might not hurt to check out the DVB forums as well... DVB is sent in continuous streams, and recording them is popular -- that's where I've seen most of the tools and methods anyway that might help out a bit.

RE: audio sync... Video & Audio clocks are different, and so are the units or the size of the chunks of data inside files. Recording is where a lot of sync problems happen -- usually the rate of either or both streams is changed a little bit to maintain sync. If the recorded audio is ac3, often there's padding added to the audio packets, which some software does not like at all.

Cutting/trimming audio and video together creates a problem since it's like trying to find 2 marks that line up on both sides of a ruler showing inches and cm. This can get much worse when you're working with ac3. Converting audio to wav before editing usually helps, but can still leave slight gaps, usually at the end of a trimmed/cut clip. All you can do is be aware of it, and if you have a problem adjust the placement of an audio clip, &/or use a transition to blend clips where they join (the most common & professional).

I have also read of sync problems where the cause was the info contained in the file. If a file lists 29.976 and a program rounds that to 29.98 for example, or vice versa, some people have experienced sync problems in some software. Sometimes it takes simply specifying the exact rate in the software, or the file headers can be changed without re-encoding with utilities.

Edited by mikiem