Hardware Vs. Software

latinangel_13@yahoo.com

Question

8 answers to this question

What's the difference between Hardware and Software rendering under Tools > Options and which one is better?!? Why?

What type of video card do you have?

If your video card is relatively robost, you will definitely benefit from the hardware setting. There are some under powered cards that won't work with anything but the software setting. If you can set it to hardware and don't have any problems with it in that setting, leave it there.

When you render your production, what settings do you use? I've tried almost ALL OF THEM includeing the DVD PLAYBACK > BEST settings and when I play my videos on my on T.V., the picture is not as good at it was when I first impoted it from my camcorder using Dazzle DVC 80. The output on my T.V. is all ugly and pixelated. :) What settings do you use? Also, what codecs am I supposed to have to obtain a good picture quality? Can I download those anywhere?

thnx

When you render your production, what settings do you use? I've tried almost ALL OF THEM includeing the DVD PLAYBACK > BEST settings and when I play my videos on my on T.V., the picture is not as good at it was when I first impoted it from my camcorder using Dazzle DVC 80. The output on my T.V. is all ugly and pixelated. :) What settings do you use? Also, what codecs am I supposed to have to obtain a good picture quality? Can I download those anywhere?

thnx

I ALWAYS use the best setting. If I am not going to edit at all, I render to mpeg 2 for DVD, otherwise, I render to DV-AVI. What exactly are you doing? I think you'd do better capturing as a dv-avi then doing your edits then click the DVD button to burn with DVD Express. Less steps and you should be getting good quality.

I have the adaptec AVC-2010 (pci card) to capture my video. I did some testing last night with EMC8 (no 8.05 patch). I was using myDVD to do the burn. Under Project Settings, there are options to set the resolution 720,320, etc) Bit rate, etc. I assume when I do the burn, if the preview screen displays nothing, it didn't rerender the video. My input was mpg 720x480 29.97 fps at 6mbps from the AVC2010. Keeping the same resolution, but changing the bitrate from 4 to 9 did not cause the video to be re-rendered. The only thing that caused it to be re-rendered was changing the resolution or starting with an avi file. I didn't try pushing the "apply this to all videos" (or something like that) button. Maybe that causes the bit rate change to take effect. I didn't see the MPEG-2 screen in the preview screen when it was not rendering. I think that is what used to happen in EMC 7. Maybe that is in the 8.05 patch ? I don't dare try that since I have an Asus 9600 which is ATI based. So much to learn, so little time :-)

I have to capture my video with the Dazzle DVC and it yields a good picture quality. I just don't know what render settings to use to output my video as. What I usually edit are just home videos, such as weddings, etc. and also a couple of video projects for school.

You say that you ALWAYS use the best settings feature, but unde what "Purpose"? The DVD PLAYBACK one?

I have to capture my video with the Dazzle DVC and it yields a good picture quality. I just don't know what render settings to use to output my video as. What I usually edit are just home videos, such as weddings, etc. and also a couple of video projects for school.

You say that you ALWAYS use the best settings feature, but unde what "Purpose"? The DVD PLAYBACK one?

Under purpose, select 'All'. Then, under Video Quality, select your choice and I suggest DV format AVI. If you are going to burn directly to a DVD, don't output at all. Simply click the DVD icon at the top of the preview panel.

Archived