Majeskty

Finding Roxio Easy Media Creator.msi file

Question

Hello,

Attempting to repair the EMC 9 to see if I could once again get it to work, doing a repair from the add/remove. I get 15 mintues into the repair and it asks for the Roxio Easy Media Creator.msi file or something close to this long file name. Dong a search on the cd does nothing becasue everything is compressed and searching the HD gets no where also. Does anyone know how to find this file? Why does Roxio make everything so hard to make the program work!!!!!

I have had this problem of the program not launching off and on for several weeks now after installing it getting the upper/lower filters removed etc. I finally used the PX Engine file and did have the program working or at least it would launch the Suite selection box. But now it does not work again and using the PX Engine.exe file does not getting it working again. This is the same problem I had when trying to use EMC 10 but couldn't get it to work and asked for my money back. I had already purchased EMC 9 and couldn't return it so installed it and found out I had all these problems. Just don't remember having them with EMC 8 which way things are going I may have to downgrade even further.

I have had EMC for years now but this is getting to wear thin with all the darn installs, uninstalls, clean installs. It takes a hour just to install it , too much time with very little accomplished in getting it to work.

16 answers to this question

make a temporary folder on the hard drive, copy the contents of the CD into that and, when it asks for the .msi file - point it to that folder

You could also run setup.exe from there and see if that works

make a temporary folder on the hard drive, copy the contents of the CD into that and, when it asks for the .msi file - point it to that folder

You could also run setup.exe from there and see if that works

Yea uncompressing the .exe file myself would be a idea. But you would believe that Roxio's own repair program could be able to decyper and find the .msi file.

One solution for Roxio would be to place the programs on DVD's instead of cd-rom disks. Most everyone out there when they replace the drive they are going to purchase a DVD Burner for added capacity.

I deleted the Roxio EMC 9 Suite listing in add/remove but nothing esle. I then reinstalled it which at the moment the Suite program listing's do launch now. I was able to copy a home DVD disk last night. Just the long headaches of redoing plus the time evolved.

If you have the compressed .exe file, then you have the download version and not the boxed one.

The download was always in CD format (even EMC 10 which is DVD in the box but archived) due to the possibilities of corruption (which does happen) and it's considered easier to split the download into two parts

You have to extract this in order for a repair to be able to 'see' the contents - in fact, we recommend that after extracting, your first job should be to burn the two CDs so that you have them as backup

If you have the compressed .exe file, then you have the download version and not the boxed one.

The download was always in CD format (even EMC 10 which is DVD in the box but archived) due to the possibilities of corruption (which does happen) and it's considered easier to split the download into two parts

You have to extract this in order for a repair to be able to 'see' the contents - in fact, we recommend that after extracting, your first job should be to burn the two CDs so that you have them as backup

I will have to recheck the disk after the weekend. But the disk is from Roxio but with no .msi file on the installation disk. Just an autosetup to start the process then it starts to uncompress the program into a temp folder (assume).

Later, Thanks for the help. Gone for the weekend as of now.

I will have to recheck the disk after the weekend. But the disk is from Roxio but with no .msi file on the installation disk. Just an autosetup to start the process then it starts to uncompress the program into a temp folder (assume).

Later, Thanks for the help. Gone for the weekend as of now.

If you have the downloaded version, the 1st step of the set-up is to expand all the needed files into the Windows User Temp folder -- you can see & copy these files using Windows Explorer when/while the set-up dialog is waiting for your input on what to install. After copying them, the install can be canceled if those files are all you're after. IF you have problems and want to use the repair or change options in add/remove programs, it can work if you copy these files back to the temp folder you copied them from.

I've only used this a couple of times when I was having problems getting everything set-up & working -- I'm not sure if it was worth the hassle actually, but it did work. in XP Pro the temp folder is at [Drive Letter]:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp\ -- I don't recall the folder name where the Roxio files are stored inside the Temp folder, but it's easy to spot by clicking on whatever folders are there to see what's inside.

What you probably have is the download self-extract .exe files burnt to CD rather than the 'retail' installation CDs.

They can be opened by Winzip or Winrar and the files extracted to a folder on the hard drive and, if you run setup.exe from there (or even do a repair install and point it to the folder with the files) it will pick up the .msi file

Mikiem - most people dump the contents of the temp folders on a regular basis before doing a defrag (as part of general maintenance) so it's better to actually extract them to their own folder and then burn the folder contents to CD

What you probably have is the download self-extract .exe files burnt to CD rather than the 'retail' installation CDs.

They can be opened by Winzip or Winrar and the files extracted to a folder on the hard drive and, if you run setup.exe from there (or even do a repair install and point it to the folder with the files) it will pick up the .msi file

Mikiem - most people dump the contents of the temp folders on a regular basis before doing a defrag (as part of general maintenance) so it's better to actually extract them to their own folder and then burn the folder contents to CD

I had purchase the program from Roxio jewel box and 2 disks duing a promotional of the EMC9 and I don't find the .msi file just the autosetup which I assume links it to the EMC 9 Suite folder on the disc for the installation. I purchase this from Roxio and they compress it all. Still does not explain why during a repair option from add/remove it can not find the compressed file from the disk ???????.

Anyone from Roxio explain this????

Very unlikely that anyone from Roxio will be here (unless you see a Roxio logo by someone's name they don't work for Roxio)

What you got was the CD alternative to the download - it's still the same files as you would get if you downloaded and they are self-extracting .exe files.

The retail CD set uses individual files

To get at the .msi files, you HAVE to extract the archives - there's no other way round that

I had purchase the program from Roxio jewel box and 2 disks duing a promotional of the EMC9 and I don't find the .msi file just the autosetup which I assume links it to the EMC 9 Suite folder on the disc for the installation. I purchase this from Roxio and they compress it all. Still does not explain why during a repair option from add/remove it can not find the compressed file from the disk ???????.

Anyone from Roxio explain this????

Welll.... I'm certainly not from Roxio, & I've never seen the boxed discs, so I've really no personal experience with what you're dealing with. With a lot of software install CDs/DVDs there's an autorun.inf file that starts a program when the disc's inserted... This program gives you the window with options to install and maybe browse the disc contents -- that sort of thing. And normally there are folders on the disc that contain the actual installation files, like the msi file you're looking for. I didn't want to imply that you'd missed them. :)

If you don't have or don't see these installation folders, then running the setup as posted will let you see them in the temp folder, and copy them wherever you'd like, maybe burn them to CD. gi7omy's way is easier, but if you don't see the large set-up files to expand...

Some software puts a copy of the installation files on your hard drive(s) to make change/repair easier, but it also clogs you drive with hundreds of meg (maybe gigs) of data you hopefully will never need. Other software (& Roxio isn't the only one) feels it's best not to clog your drive with install files.

At any rate, you should have some installation files on your original discs I'd think. If the "autosetup" file you mention is very large, maybe it will expand onto your hard drive like gi7om suggested. If not, then maybe the msi file is somewhere else on the disc? And if not, then running the autosetup should expand the files into your temp folder where you can copy them anywhere you've got room. :D

Welll.... I'm certainly not from Roxio, & I've never seen the boxed discs, so I've really no personal experience with what you're dealing with. With a lot of software install CDs/DVDs there's an autorun.inf file that starts a program when the disc's inserted... This program gives you the window with options to install and maybe browse the disc contents -- that sort of thing. And normally there are folders on the disc that contain the actual installation files, like the msi file you're looking for. I didn't want to imply that you'd missed them. :)

If you don't have or don't see these installation folders, then running the setup as posted will let you see them in the temp folder, and copy them wherever you'd like, maybe burn them to CD. gi7omy's way is easier, but if you don't see the large set-up files to expand...

Some software puts a copy of the installation files on your hard drive(s) to make change/repair easier, but it also clogs you drive with hundreds of meg (maybe gigs) of data you hopefully will never need. Other software (& Roxio isn't the only one) feels it's best not to clog your drive with install files.

At any rate, you should have some installation files on your original discs I'd think. If the "autosetup" file you mention is very large, maybe it will expand onto your hard drive like gi7om suggested. If not, then maybe the msi file is somewhere else on the disc? And if not, then running the autosetup should expand the files into your temp folder where you can copy them anywhere you've got room. :D

I was going to add some snap shots of what is listed on the disk but I don't see any method on this forum to do such. If any one know let me know and I can post 3 jpeg's showing the disk contents. Looks like currently the only way to find that .msi file is to expand the .exe file in the mail folder where the program is stored. I sent a email to Sonicstorecs@digitalriver.com asking about the product they sent me and see what their answer will be in I suppose a couple of days.

OK in stages

1:- Locate the exe for the main program file

2:- open that with winzip or winrar

3:- extract it to a folder anywhere

4:- run setup.exe from that folder

5:- repeat for content

6:- burn the contents of both folders to CDs

OK in stages

1:- Locate the exe for the main program file

2:- open that with winzip or winrar

3:- extract it to a folder anywhere

4:- run setup.exe from that folder

5:- repeat for content

6:- burn the contents of both folders to CDs

I would make 1: Make a folder somewhere on your hard drive, and give it a name like EMC 9 extracted files.

Then your number 3, which would become number 4, you then extract the files to the folder you made under 1: :)

Edited by grandpabruce

Winrar will let you make a folder for the extraction Bruce :lol:

I know it can, but for a person who has never gone through this process, I would make it before I did anything else.

I know it can, but for a person who has never gone through this process, I would make it before I did anything else.

Once you've loaded WinRAR, the msi file is located in the EMC_100 directory.

MSI_View.JPG