• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

nodvd

Getting rid of this thing

Question

Hey guys,

I bought it, paid for it and got it to work once (which is what I needed it for). Since then, I have not been able to burn any dvd's, listen to any cd's. Basically both my dvd drives are either not seen or not working. I was out here a few months back and followed all you wonderful guys suggestions.

I'm finally getting around to using control panels uninstall. Will my PC be the same as it was BR (before Roxio) or do I need to delete my whole hard drive and start over.

I know I sound rude but I'm just really frustrated. I'm not an advanced computer user. I'm just your run of the mill user that regrets deeply buying this stuff. The problem was probably a conflict with my system that I didn't know how to fix but I've paid dearly for it.

Is there a way to get through to Roxio if the install doesn't restore my computer to BR time?

Thanks a bunch,

nodvd and full of regret.

9 answers to this question

Hey guys,

I bought it, paid for it and got it to work once (which is what I needed it for). Since then, I have not been able to burn any dvd's, listen to any cd's. Basically both my dvd drives are either not seen or not working. I was out here a few months back and followed all you wonderful guys suggestions.

I'm finally getting around to using control panels uninstall. Will my PC be the same as it was BR (before Roxio) or do I need to delete my whole hard drive and start over.

I know I sound rude but I'm just really frustrated. I'm not an advanced computer user. I'm just your run of the mill user that regrets deeply buying this stuff. The problem was probably a conflict with my system that I didn't know how to fix but I've paid dearly for it.

Is there a way to get through to Roxio if the install doesn't restore my computer to BR time?

Thanks a bunch,

nodvd and full of regret.

Don't uninstall just yet. Run the PX engine in the following:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4195

After running it, see if your drives show, after a reboot.

Don't uninstall just yet. Run the PX engine in the following:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=4195

After running it, see if your drives show, after a reboot.

It didn't help a thing. I can still play a dvd I burned in the drive but I cannot view a rented or purchased dvd. When I pull up explorer, I can't even view the files.

This really did work BR but I've had nothing but problems since installation. Now, I do think my DVD has a hardware problem but the DVD-WR is the one doing this.

Please help!

-m-

It didn't help a thing. I can still play a dvd I burned in the drive but I cannot view a rented or purchased dvd. When I pull up explorer, I can't even view the files.

This really did work BR but I've had nothing but problems since installation. Now, I do think my DVD has a hardware problem but the DVD-WR is the one doing this.

Please help!

-m-

My personal guess is that there's other problems with your PC &/or Windows install, but to answer your 1st question about removing Roxio... If you uninstall the different Roxio & possibly Sonic programs listed in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, that will remove the programs themselves from your PC's hard drive; whether or not they were causing a problem, they won't be there any longer.

Most any software un-install will leave registry entries and maybe some folders behind, so no, your PC will not be 100% as it was before you installed the software. Normally this will not cause a problem, you can remove any *left-overs* without re-installing Windows, but fooling with the registry is not something anyone would suggest if you're not sure what you're doing, and is best done only after you've got a full backup image of your hard drive with your Windows install.

To fix your problem [after backing up Windows etc.] you might try looking in Device Mgr and un-installing any virtual drives -- you might try un-installing any other related programs, like Daemon Tools or disc burning programs -- you might try un-installing Drag to Disc -- you might look for conflicts with EMC9's Media apps if you had/have other Cyberlink software installed and so on... You can also check out & post in forums like over at CDFreaks -- you might find a solution, and it might not involve Roxio software; focusing just on Roxio might cause you to overlook a potential cure.

Edited by mikiem

Please help!

-m-

hello we are basic computer uses just wnting to play and burn the occassional slide show

we had the same prob

we ininstalled roxio

used registry easy and did a clean up and all was fine(drives should up again)

then installed roxio again

I was ready to throw it out the window(the computer that is and Roxio close behind)

I am also trying to rid "9", have "10" and its locking up, seeing "blue screen of death"

any suggestions, deleted with CCleaner. it's back!

Sorry guys, after many frustrating hours trying to remove Roxio 9 and go back to the much more useful EMC 7.5, I am now convinced the only way to remove Roxio 9 is to back everything up and format the hard disk.

I'm very grateful for the large amount of help and suggestions on the forums relating to this problem, but none of it worked (including Roxio's own deep clean procedure).

My main use is audio, and like several other correspondents, cannot understand why Roxio insists on developing good features (like ver 7.5's overlap / crossfade routine) then trashes them in the next release.

Good thing we have a long break this Christmas!

dalo2906

2.8Ghz Pentium dual core

2Gb DDR2

1x 320Gb IDE

1x 320Gb SATA

1x DVDRW IDE

1x DVDRW SATA

Soundblaster Live 5.1

I fully understand your frustrations. Been there.

UNINSTALL or do not allow a re install of Drag to Disk

UNINSTALL DAO if shown in the Remove Programs.

If you have more than ONE DVD reader/PLayer, Uninstall the ones you have no intentions of using.

There was an OLD saying K I S S which meant Keep It Simple Stupid.

AFter you install the above.. reboot, run CCLEANER and if you have Registry Booster or equilvilant, use it.

Be sure all DVD or CD applications that are not being used are not RUNNING in background.

The above helped me and I still have problems but no where near as much as I did in the beginning.

Good Luck

If you choose to do a reformat and re install. Before installing any Software, get all firmware updates, driver updates, etc etc for the hardware. Install one program at a time, get all updates, reboot and move on to the next. DO NOT install anything you will notbe using which will help prevent Software Conflicts.

If you do decide to go the re-format/re-install route you can keep 7.5 (if you are using XP and not Vista) provided you do NOT let the updates install IE7 or WMP11.

7.5 and 9/10 can co-exist

If you do decide to go the re-format/re-install route you can keep 7.5 (if you are using XP and not Vista) provided you do NOT let the updates install IE7 or WMP11.

7.5 and 9/10 can co-exist

100% Right on.

7.5 was a GREAT Version but IE7 and WMP11 created havoc. Great Advice gi7omy........... I had to go to the Windows Update Catalog and make sure those updates would not be downloaded.