• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Converting Analog Tracks To Mp3 (issues W/sound Quality)

brpj@yahoo.com

Question

Hi,

I recently downloaded Roxio RecordNow 8 software and am using it to convert old cassettes to mp3s. I've got the hardware (stereo receiver, tape deck, computer) connected correctly (I think), but the resulting converted files are sadly lacking in sound quality; they're tinny and worse, there's an insistent huuummming behind the track. I can't adequatlely clean up the sound with the editing applications that came with the program.

I suspect (am hoping) that because I'm using my laptop, which doesn't have a Line-In jack, that things will improve after I get a Line-In / USB adapter. Is this correct? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Hi,

I recently downloaded Roxio RecordNow 8 software and am using it to convert old cassettes to mp3s. I've got the hardware (stereo receiver, tape deck, computer) connected correctly (I think), but the resulting converted files are sadly lacking in sound quality; they're tinny and worse, there's an insistent huuummming behind the track. I can't adequatlely clean up the sound with the editing applications that came with the program.

I suspect (am hoping) that because I'm using my laptop, which doesn't have a Line-In jack, that things will improve after I get a Line-In / USB adapter. Is this correct? Any other thoughts? Thanks.

No line-in? So, what are you using to capture, the mic input? That'll cause problems since you're overloading the input circuits, and most mic inputs are mono as well. The humming would normally be associated with a grounding problem, but usually it's only associated with running from a turntable, not a tape deck.

What USB device are you getting? Yes, that should help. I have an ADS Instant Music USB 2.0 box, which works well, but you have to be able to control the input signal level to it, because it has no volume control. Not a major problem since I have the equipment, but not what I expected when I got it. (Without that control, if your signal is too high, it gets distorted during the digitizing, and if it's too low, then you can only increase it in the digital domain.)

Archived