• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Administrative Rights Needed?

jens@djingis.se

Question

Hi

I normally don't log on as administrator on m,y home computer, basically because it is a bad idea with all viruses/worms/spyware etc on the web and e-mail. I just bought Emc8 and would like to run it on my normal user account (which is a Power user type).

I first tried to install it from a different account with administrative rights. Could run it from there but not from my user account.

Then I temporarily granted my user account to administrator and reinstalled the software. It worked well when I had admin rights, but when I downgraded to power user it started popping up error messages.

Is there some tweak to make it function?

Details follow:

I have a 3Ghz P4 HT, 1G RAM and approx. 600 GB Hard disk. Running Win XPP SP2, Avast antivirus (but I don't think that is the issue - would affect me as administrator as well).

When I log on I receive an error claiming that "RoxWatchTray terminated in an unusual way (Visual C++ runtime library)". Interesting error...

When I start Emc8 the program appears to try to install some packages for RecordNow Copy, RecordNow Data, RecordNow Tools, RecordNow Audio. Each installation starts 1-3 times and ends with te message "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file xxx.msi". The xxx is somewhere among my personal temporary files (C:\Documents and settings\<my username>\Local settings\temp\pft3.tmp\). The folder exists and contains approx. 700 MB including subfolders, but the file doesn't.

As administrator, no installation is attempted - the program just works. This indicates there is some file or registry setting that isn't accessible or writable as non-admin user.

I'd be happy with a tweak ("add authorizations for your user to the following folder/registry key...").

I know lots of software require adminstrative rights to run. I just think this is a bad idea, and so far I have managed to keep my system clean from at least this kind of badly written software.

Regards

--Jens

3 answers to this question

Ditto. I'm having this exact problem after installing the software on one of the machines on my domain. I don't allow domain users to have local administrator rights, so I too am looking for a work around to this problem. I've checked the NTFS permissions on the two directories that I could find (Roxio & Sonic) and I've also looked at the registry settings as well. So far, the application will only run properly if the user is logged on as a local admin.

Kevin

Imagine that!

BTW, the thread is almost 5 months old. See my post above.

Hi

I normally don't log on as administrator on m,y home computer, basically because it is a bad idea with all viruses/worms/spyware etc on the web and e-mail. I just bought Emc8 and would like to run it on my normal user account (which is a Power user type).

I first tried to install it from a different account with administrative rights. Could run it from there but not from my user account.

Then I temporarily granted my user account to administrator and reinstalled the software. It worked well when I had admin rights, but when I downgraded to power user it started popping up error messages.

Details follow:

I have a 3Ghz P4 HT, 1G RAM and approx. 600 GB Hard disk. Running Win XPP SP2, Avast antivirus (but I don't think that is the issue - would affect me as administrator as well).

When I log on I receive an error claiming that "RoxWatchTray terminated in an unusual way (Visual C++ runtime library)". Interesting error...

When I start Emc8 the program appears to try to install some packages for RecordNow Copy, RecordNow Data, RecordNow Tools, RecordNow Audio. Each installation starts 1-3 times and ends with te message "A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file xxx.msi". The xxx is somewhere among my personal temporary files (C:\Documents and settings\<my username>\Local settings\temp\pft3.tmp\). The folder exists and contains approx. 700 MB including subfolders, but the file doesn't.

As administrator, no installation is attempted - the program just works. This indicates there is some file or registry setting that isn't accessible or writable as non-admin user.

I'd be happy with a tweak ("add authorizations for your user to the following folder/registry key...").

I know lots of software require adminstrative rights to run. I just think this is a bad idea, and so far I have managed to keep my system clean from at least this kind of badly written software.

Regards

--Jens

If you want to express your view to Roxio, you need to do it via one of the links to the left. This is a user's forum, and we don't work for Roxio.

Hi

Details follow:

Regards

--Jens

Ditto. I'm having this exact problem after installing the software on one of the machines on my domain. I don't allow domain users to have local administrator rights, so I too am looking for a work around to this problem. I've checked the NTFS permissions on the two directories that I could find (Roxio & Sonic) and I've also looked at the registry settings as well. So far, the application will only run properly if the user is logged on as a local admin.

Kevin

Archived