Sign in to follow this  
whandy

Popcorn 3 Speed

Question

I have used Popcorn since the initial version. However after upgrading to Popcorn 3 on a G5 1.8 ghz, the program has become almost unusable. When converting Tivo shows to ipod it used to take about 30 minutes for a 30 minute show. Now it takes close to 3 hours. This happened both under 10.4 and 10.5. What changed to make this program become almost useless

3 answers to this question

Unless you are using an ElGato Turbo.264 I can't imagine you're being able to convert a TiVo transfer to iPod format anywhere near real time.

Popcorn didn't convert Tivo files until version 3 and there have been no changes that would make it any slower. If anything it's faster because QT is now faster at H.264 encoding. You could use MPEG-4 encoding instead of H.264, but the quality will suffer.

Popcorn didn't convert Tivo files until version 3 and there have been no changes that would make it any slower. If anything it's faster because QT is now faster at H.264 encoding. You could use MPEG-4 encoding instead of H.264, but the quality will suffer.

You are correct - I had used Toast previously for the conversion for the ipod. Toast was relatively quick. I changed to Popcorn because I am no converting to the ipod touch (using the iPhone as the method). I noticed that on my G5 Toast used to convert a half hour show in something like 30 - 45 minutes whereby Popcorn now takes about 3 hours. This is a significantly slower process now