Dvd Burns And Will Not Play On Computer Or Set Top Player

thomas_l_arnold

Question

I've been trying for days to get a simple project completed with EMC 7.5. I have CDs with photos from various people, and I want to create a single DVD with slide shows. I copied all the images to my hard disk and created a VW production from each set of slides from each person. Each slide show is to be a "title" on the DVD. In DVD Builder it looks perfect. When I burn it the DVD is no good. I've tried saving to an image file and then burning, and I've tried burning from DVD Builder. Neither works. I wasted about a dozen disks so far.

First I tried a test with just one title, and that worked (if I saved to an image file then burned from that). That tells me that my burner and disks work. But when I add the addtional slides shows, all created with Videowave, it previews fine and then burns without any complaints, but the disk is no good.

I've tried rebuilding the whole production and burning again, but it takes so long to save and burn that I just can't try every possible permutation of things to change. I can't find any real tech support from the publisher (unless I pay $35), just this forum. So I hope that some knowledgable and merciful user can help.

7 answers to this question

Interesting discussion here. Apparently that burner doesn't like cheap -R discs. Have you tried any +R (or -R) and a better quality?

Well, the cheap disks (rock bottom price from CompUSA, DVD-R) were certainly part of the problem.

Today I bought some Imation DVD-R (8x) and those worked better and burned faster. I got disks that play in both the computer and the set-top.

I didn't know about the +R option; I bought -R becuase I've read that set-top DVD players seem to like -R better. Maybe I'll try +R next.

One other thing: I removed one title from my DVD Builder project. For some reason this one title was ALWAYS showing up as an "Extra" and not a "Movie". That is, I would create a project, add 5 titles (slide shows) to it, add one "Intro title" (just a single image with text and background music) and then "burn" it to an ISO file on my hard disk. When I would then double-click the iso file, it would launch Disk Copier. When I clicked on the "Options" next to the little preview image of the video, it would show 4 titles and two "extras". One of the extras was my intro title. The other was ALWAYS this one particular slide show production. I figured maybe the disk player was getting confused by having more than just the Intro and the Main Menu. So I built the production without that title and it worked.

Anybody know why that would be?

Finally, I still have sound drop-outs when I play the DVD on my set-top player. The sound seems fine when the disk is played on the computer.

This whole process is really finicky. I'm amazed at how many things can go wrong. Thanks to all the people who provided suggestions and support. I was getting extremely frustrated.

I'm just stunned that there can be such incompatibility between media, burners, and players. It did not occur to me that the media I bought could be such garbage.

Guest mlpasley

So what happens when you put the DVD in your computer or DVD player?

On the computer, try opening the Roxio Player (in 7.5 under Extras & Utilities), put the DVD in the drive, and see if it will play. Or you can try CinePlayer if you have it or another DVD playing program like Cyberlink's PowerDVD.

Does your DVD player display an error message and if so, what is it? Have you checked to make sure the DVD player will play that type of DVD?

What does the 'burned' surface look like? Did it actually burn?

So what happens when you put the DVD in your computer or DVD player?

On the computer, try opening the Roxio Player (in 7.5 under Extras & Utilities), put the DVD in the drive, and see if it will play. Or you can try CinePlayer if you have it or another DVD playing program like Cyberlink's PowerDVD.

Does your DVD player display an error message and if so, what is it? Have you checked to make sure the DVD player will play that type of DVD?

What does the 'burned' surface look like? Did it actually burn?

Cineplayer takes a long time to try reading the disk (more than a full minute) then says "The DVD volume is invalid!"

If I put it in my regular DVD player, it just spins and will never go to the menu.

PowerDVD says something about playback was interrupted, do you want to start from the beginning or from where it was stopped before. Then when I click out of that dialog (with either option) it just doesn't play.

The surface of the disk shows it has been burned.

Cineplayer takes a long time to try reading the disk (more than a full minute) then says "The DVD volume is invalid!"

If I put it in my regular DVD player, it just spins and will never go to the menu.

PowerDVD says something about playback was interrupted, do you want to start from the beginning or from where it was stopped before. Then when I click out of that dialog (with either option) it just doesn't play.

The surface of the disk shows it has been burned.

Do you always create an ISO file before you do the actual burn or have you been mostly been burning to DVD directly? Do you get failures when just burning to an ISO file? Some things to do before you do a burn: defrag the hard drive, disconnect from the internet, shut down any running applications especially virus checking and do not use your computer while doing a burn. You may already be doing these things.

What make of DVDs are you you using. Certain brands are more compatible with certain burners.

What are your computer specs, make/model of burner, etc.

Do you always create an ISO file before you do the actual burn or have you been mostly been burning to DVD directly? Do you get failures when just burning to an ISO file? Some things to do before you do a burn: defrag the hard drive, disconnect from the internet, shut down any running applications especially virus checking and do not use your computer while doing a burn. You may already be doing these things.

What make of DVDs are you you using. Certain brands are more compatible with certain burners.

What are your computer specs, make/model of burner, etc.

I've tried both the burn-direct and the save to iso file then use the copier approach. I still get failures when burning from a pre-saved iso file.

I have an Avertatec 3300 laptop with a 1.6 GHz Pentium M. 512 MB ram. 80 gb hd, with 31 GB free space. Indexing is turned on.

Windows XP, home edition.

Burner is DRIVE: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N

Driver version: 0W33

I think that is made by LG, but even the Averatec tech support guy could not say for sure.

Disk: CompUSA DVD-R recordable, 4.7Gb, 120 minutes

I've been shutting down every application for the duration of the save and the burn. Makes my computer pretty much a one-task device. Have lost a lot of time...

I didn't know about the +R option; I bought -R becuase I've read that set-top DVD players seem to like -R better. Maybe I'll try +R next.

One .

Before you spend money on +R DVDs make sure your DVD player as well as burner is able to handle them. Not all player/burner can accept all media types.

Interesting discussion here. Apparently that burner doesn't like cheap -R discs. Have you tried any +R (or -R) and a better quality?

I've tried both the burn-direct and the save to iso file then use the copier approach. I still get failures when burning from a pre-saved iso file.

I have an Avertatec 3300 laptop with a 1.6 GHz Pentium M. 512 MB ram. 80 gb hd, with 31 GB free space. Indexing is turned on.

Windows XP, home edition.

Burner is DRIVE: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N

Driver version: 0W33

I think that is made by LG, but even the Averatec tech support guy could not say for sure.

Disk: CompUSA DVD-R recordable, 4.7Gb, 120 minutes

I've been shutting down every application for the duration of the save and the burn. Makes my computer pretty much a one-task device. Have lost a lot of time...

Archived