Paperclips

Converting a .avi file into .mov

Question

I purchased Popcorn 3 for the SOLE purpose of converting video from my Casio camera (.avi) into a format that I can read and load into iPhoto. When I first downloading my video (.avi), I can get audio, but no video. I called Apple support and they suggested I download (for free) TLV (I think that's the name of this software, it has a road cone as an icon). After doing that, I was able to view my video files, but it doesn't help my original problem of being able to view and edit in iPhoto or iMovie ('08).

I tried to follow the directions on the Popcorn 3 box, but it just doesn't work. The screens that should (as per the directions) come up, don't.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for any input.

4 answers to this question

1. Select Video Files in the Player list and add your video files.

2. Click on the video files in the Popcorn window to select them.

3. Click the red button and choose AppleTV as the format. The click okay.

1. Select Video Files in the Player list and add your video files.

2. Click on the video files in the Popcorn window to select them.

3. Click the red button and choose AppleTV as the format. The click okay.

Thanks so much....but I tried it and doesn't work. I still just get audio.

Thanks so much....but I tried it and doesn't work. I still just get audio.

I'm not sure what's happening. The application Apple suggested is VLC which is excellent at playing back many kinds of video formats. But it has nothing to do with converting one kind of video to another.

When your Casio camera makes movies it writes them in an .AVI container. I have an older HP camera that creates .AVI movies, too. I can import those directly into the latest iMovie using Import Movies... from the iMovie File menu. So I don't know what is going on that causes you to get audio and no video with yours.

When you drag an AVI to the Popcorn window how is the file described? There should be a line describing the video properties and another describing the audio properties.

I'm not sure what's happening. The application Apple suggested is VLC which is excellent at playing back many kinds of video formats. But it has nothing to do with converting one kind of video to another.

When your Casio camera makes movies it writes them in an .AVI container. I have an older HP camera that creates .AVI movies, too. I can import those directly into the latest iMovie using Import Movies... from the iMovie File menu. So I don't know what is going on that causes you to get audio and no video with yours.

When you drag an AVI to the Popcorn window how is the file described? There should be a line describing the video properties and another describing the audio properties.

What model of camera? AVI, other than the old school uncompressed type, is just a container format. Inside the AVI container can be video such as Xvid, DivX, or others. Casio is likely using something non-standard in the AVI container.