• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Size Estimates Are Off

thesteelavenger

Question

5 answers to this question

Well the import DVD thing (as per the above instructions) didn't do the trick. Neither did downloading a new version to replace the one on my hard drive. As far as Toast 7 is concerned a 4.7 gb DVD is only able to hold 1.36 gb. I can burn a project to a DVD and it seems fine, but I have no way of telling how close I'm getting to filling the disc up.

For some reason the color bar showing how much room is used on the project for cd's dvd's and dl disks is off in the DVD category. Instead of 4.7 gb it shows the project as a percentage of 1.36 gb's. The other categories seem okay.

What is it you're doing with Toast to get that outcome? It won't ever show 4.7 GB because a DVD only holds 4.4 GB in computer terms.

What is it you're doing with Toast to get that outcome? It won't ever show 4.7 GB because a DVD only holds 4.4 GB in computer terms.

Right, I forgot what it used to say. Something like 4.36 gb if I recall.

I'm dragging and dropping some old home movies to consolidate them on one disk. Once I drop the first one it shows the bar as red and the usage as 203% of the 1.3gb it says a dvd holds.

Right, I forgot what it used to say. Something like 4.36 gb if I recall.

I'm dragging and dropping some old home movies to consolidate them on one disk. Once I drop the first one it shows the bar as red and the usage as 203% of the 1.3gb it says a dvd holds.

If these home movies are authored to a VIDEO_TS folder you shouldn't drag and drop them to Toast. Instead they need to be extracted via the Media Browser. If the home movies are on a DVD, insert the disc, click the Media button in Toast, select DVD with the top button in the browser, go down one level with the lower button and drag the title from the browser window to the Toast Video window. This extracts the MPEG from the DVD and writes it to the Roxio Converted Items folder. I think you'll find the space-used bar to correctly reflect the size of the MPEG file(s).

If these home movies are authored to a VIDEO_TS folder you shouldn't drag and drop them to Toast. Instead they need to be extracted via the Media Browser. If the home movies are on a DVD, insert the disc, click the Media button in Toast, select DVD with the top button in the browser, go down one level with the lower button and drag the title from the browser window to the Toast Video window. This extracts the MPEG from the DVD and writes it to the Roxio Converted Items folder. I think you'll find the space-used bar to correctly reflect the size of the MPEG file(s).

I'll try that. I'm worried it won't work though. I just tried a dvd project using an Imovie .mov (I dragged and dropped it, I tried the above method and I couldn't bring it in that way). It's still saying that it thinks a DVD is only 1.36 gb. A few days ago it was recognizing that a DVD can hold up to 4.36 gb. Maybe I should re-load the whole toast 7 on my computer.

Archived