• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Penny

Slow Editing in Video Wave

Question

Hello - I have been using EMC9 for several months. After the learning curve, I really enjoy it. But still found editing to be so slow - I decided to invest in a new Intel Core Duo computer. Set up as follows;

Windows XP Pro

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 (BX80557E6850) 3.0GHZ EM64T DUAL CORE W/4MB CACHE 1333MHZ LGA775-PIN RETAIL BOXED W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS WARRANTY) =ARCTIC SILVER 5 COMPOUND

ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP INTEL P35 CHIPSET ATX FORM FACTOR (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)

KINGSTON HYPER X KHX8500D2K2/2G 2GB KIT (1GB x 2) MATCH PAIR PC28500 1066MHZ CL5 5-5-5-15

ATI RADEON X1950 PRO 256MB GDDR3 VIVO CROSSFIRE PCI-E DUAL DVI/HDTV

ANTEC TITAN 650 SERVER TOWER W/650W POWER SUPPLY 4x5.25" 6x3.5"(hidden)

2 -S EAGATE 500GB ST3500630NS SATA ES 7200RPM 16MB

LITE-ON LH-20A1L-06 20X SUPERALLWRITE SATA+LIGHTSCRIBE

After doing all the updates and installs. I started videowave - and sorry to say the editing it still slow.

Adding a transition - changing the display time of a photograph, takes at least two minutes some times longer and when I start to play it in videowave to see how it looks and sounds - sometimes the music stops playing, and sometimes it just stops altogether.

Each section of my movie it about 15 to 30 minutes - with photos edited in photo editor, video, music, transitions and special effects. I have found and probably is natural the more transitions, special effects etc. I add the slower it gets. But can't believe it should slow down as much as it does.

The only thing I can think of is when I originally captured the video from a VHS tape I made it one file. My plan was to split it up in Videowave, which I did. But now it seems each section contains more KB's then the first one. For example:

The First section "1967.DMSM" File is 1023 KB - 30 minutes

The Second "1969.DMSM File is 5211 KB - 15 minutes

The Third "1970.DMSM" File is a whopping 89,108 KB and is only 18 minutes.

I don't know exactly what I was doing - but I was in the time line view moving something (in the third section of the video) and I saw the beginning scenes of the video. (From the first section)

This is hard to explain but it seems like the whole movie is in each section or something - even though I deleted them from each section.

I hope someone can help me - it's making me nuts.

Thanks, sorry for being so long.

Penny

Hello - I have been using EMC9 for several months. After the learning curve, I really enjoy it. But still found editing to be so slow - I decided to invest in a new Intel Core Duo computer. Set up as follows;

Each section of my movie it about 15 to 30 minutes - with photos edited in photo editor, video, music, transitions and special effects. I have found and probably is natural the more transitions, special effects etc. I add the slower it gets. But can't believe it should slow down as much as it does.

The only thing I can think of is when I originally captured the video from a VHS tape I made it one file. My plan was to split it up in Videowave, which I did. But now it seems each section contains more KB's then the first one. For example:

The First section "1967.DMSM" File is 1023 KB - 30 minutes

The Second "1969.DMSM File is 5211 KB - 15 minutes

The Third "1970.DMSM" File is a whopping 89,108 KB and is only 18 minutes.

I don't know exactly what I was doing - but I was in the time line view moving something (in the third section of the video) and I saw the beginning scenes of the video. (From the first section)

This is hard to explain but it seems like the whole movie is in each section or something - even though I deleted them from each section.

I hope someone can help me - it's making me nuts.

Thanks, sorry for being so long.

Penny

Your dmsm files are not video files. They are merely instructions on how to modify the video it is working on. So the more instructions, the larger the file. It does not change your video (or other sources). If you trimmed a section out and then go back into trim more, you may have inadvertently undone some of your prior work. Hence, you now see some of the video you had trimmed out before.

P.S. I am envious of your new machine :rolleyes: ... you should not be experiencing slowdowns!

Thanks for your response Mark.

I guess what I need to know is - would it have been better to capture the video in shorter segments? Instead of splitting it up, copying a section and pasting it to a new project and then deleting it from the first section in videowave?

I too thought I should not have any slow downs - very disappointed. But feel I must be doing something wrong.

Please help!

Penny

If you capture and work in DV-AVI you shouldn't have any large slowdowns.

Files size is a useless measure! In video work things are measured by TIME.

Thanks for your response Mark.

I guess what I need to know is - would it have been better to capture the video in shorter segments? Instead of splitting it up, copying a section and pasting it to a new project and then deleting it from the first section in videowave?

I too thought I should not have any slow downs - very disappointed. But feel I must be doing something wrong.

Please help!

Penny

If you want to work with shorter segments, try this.

- Load your original file into VideoWave (you don't need to capture again).

- Trim it to one of your segments.

- Under the File menu, select OUTPUT AS

- Select Video File

- Select MPEG-2 Best Quality

- Give it a NEW name (like SEGMENT ONE)

- Output video file

Now you have an mpg file that is just the first segment.

With that said, you really shouldn't HAVE to do this. Were there any Roxio programs already on the computer when you bought it?

If you want to work with shorter segments, try this.

- Load your original file into VideoWave (you don't need to capture again).

- Trim it to one of your segments.

- Under the File menu, select OUTPUT AS

- Select Video File

- Select MPEG-2 Best Quality

- Give it a NEW name (like SEGMENT ONE)

- Output video file

Now you have an mpg file that is just the first segment.

With that said, you really shouldn't HAVE to do this. Were there any Roxio programs already on the computer when you bought it?

No - did not have any Roxio installed - but Nero was - I un-installed before installing Roxio.

If you capture and work in DV-AVI you shouldn't have any large slowdowns.

Files size is a useless measure! In video work things are measured by TIME.

The original video was captured as

MPEG 2 (SW)

720 x 480

46.74 MB /min

NTSC (525)

with the ATI All In Wonder x800 Series

No - did not have any Roxio installed - but Nero was - I un-installed before installing Roxio.

The reason I ask is that I had EMC-9 on my machine. Uninstalled it and installed EMC-10. I had no problems with EMC-10 and wasn's really disappointed with the performance. However, circumstances had me removing it, cleaning up my system registry and re-installing it. My point being that after I re-installed it, everything in it ran much faster. As I've never used Nero, I don't know if anything may have been left behind on your system, or if there could be something else slowing you down.

First, find out what processes are running when you start up your computer. From the Start Menu, click on the RUN... option and type msconfig. Go to the STARTUP tab and examine what is running. Normally this is a very short list that includes some Windows items and your AntiVirus protection. The Windows items will point to somewhere under your C:\Windows directory. The AV should be fairly easy to determine also. Just look for ones that going to C:\Program Files and try to determine (from looking inside the named directory) what is being started up. Let me know what you find.

yahoo/yop

ATI Tech\ati.ace\Core Stqatic\clistart

cthelper

DMX Launcher

ccapp C:\program files\commonfiles\Symantec shared\ccapp

OScheck C:\program files\commonfiles\Symantec

Reader C:\program files\commonfiles\adobereader8

HKCU/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/run

ATIDECT HKCU/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/run

Google Toolbar Notifier HKCU/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/run

Google Updater

By the way - thanks for the help!

The original video was captured as

MPEG 2 (SW)

720 x 480

46.74 MB /min

NTSC (525)

with the ATI All In Wonder x800 Series

The main reason for the big "slowdowns" is that you captured almost 1 hour of video to mpeg. When you edit that video Videowave has to uncompress the video to a format that VW works with internally. That is why its recommended to capture to avi video since VW has to do little uncompressing (if any). I also find that capturing in shorter segments also speeds up the editing. In your case, capturing to year segments would have been a good idea.

yahoo/yop

ATI Tech\ati.ace\Core Stqatic\clistart

cthelper

DMX Launcher

ccapp C:\program files\commonfiles\Symantec shared\ccapp

OScheck C:\program files\commonfiles\Symantec

Reader C:\program files\commonfiles\adobereader8

HKCU/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/run

ATIDECT HKCU/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/run

Google Toolbar Notifier HKCU/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/run

Google Updater

By the way - thanks for the help!

OK. Here is how this works. In the MSCONFIG program, to disable a startup program, you uncheck it on the STARTUP tab. Don't worry. When you click on OK or APPLY it will ask you if you want to restart Windows. Because you modified this, when Windows starts up, it will notify you that your config has been modified and you can go directly in and change it back if problems are evident. Once you try some one-at-a-time changes and see if it affects your Roxio performance, you can later tell MSCONFIG that this is OK and to no longer notify you.

Leave the Symantec->ccapp & Symantec->OScheck alone; these are your AntiVirus programs.

I would try

- DMX Launcher (not required to be running all the time)

- Reader (just starts up Adobe Read [for pdf file viewing] faster when you double-click a pdf document)

- There are 2 ATI-related startups -- these are for extra features or easy-to-access features on your video card and shouldn't be necessary.

Experiment with these to see if any of them improve your performance. The Google & Yahoo ones may not be necessary either.

The reason I ask is that I had EMC-9 on my machine. Uninstalled it and installed EMC-10. I had no problems with EMC-10 and wasn's really disappointed with the performance. However, circumstances had me removing it, cleaning up my system registry and re-installing it. My point being that after I re-installed it, everything in it ran much faster. As I've never used Nero, I don't know if anything may have been left behind on your system, or if there could be something else slowing you down.

First, find out what processes are running when you start up your computer. From the Start Menu, click on the RUN... option and type msconfig. Go to the STARTUP tab and examine what is running. Normally this is a very short list that includes some Windows items and your AntiVirus protection. The Windows items will point to somewhere under your C:\Windows directory. The AV should be fairly easy to determine also. Just look for ones that going to C:\Program Files and try to determine (from looking inside the named directory) what is being started up. Let me know what you find.

I think the Task Manager is a much better way to determine what is running on your computer.

The main reason for the big "slowdowns" is that you captured almost 1 hour of video to mpeg. When you edit that video Videowave has to uncompress the video to a format that VW works with internally. That is why its recommended to capture to avi video since VW has to do little uncompressing (if any). I also find that capturing in shorter segments also speeds up the editing. In your case, capturing to year segments would have been a good idea.

Yes, I had read about avi format when I first installed EMC9 but when I did that the video quality was terrible, maybe I did something wrong when I captured it. Is there a tutorial regarding avi capture?

Thankyou for your input.

Penny

OK. Here is how this works. In the MSCONFIG program, to disable a startup program, you uncheck it on the STARTUP tab. Don't worry. When you click on OK or APPLY it will ask you if you want to restart Windows. Because you modified this, when Windows starts up, it will notify you that your config has been modified and you can go directly in and change it back if problems are evident. Once you try some one-at-a-time changes and see if it affects your Roxio performance, you can later tell MSCONFIG that this is OK and to no longer notify you.

Leave the Symantec->ccapp & Symantec->OScheck alone; these are your AntiVirus programs.

I would try

- DMX Launcher (not required to be running all the time)

- Reader (just starts up Adobe Read [for pdf file viewing] faster when you double-click a pdf document)

- There are 2 ATI-related startups -- these are for extra features or easy-to-access features on your video card and shouldn't be necessary.

Experiment with these to see if any of them improve your performance. The Google & Yahoo ones may not be necessary either.

When I shut down DMX Launcher videowave will not open! Maybe I should re-install as you suggested.

If I were to shorten the segments as you and myguggi suggested would I have to redo the dmsm projects I have done. Or could I point the program to the shortened file? If I re-captured the whole thing again in avi format I'd have to start all over right?

Myguggi said I should have captured in AVI format initially - but as I told him I tried that and the video quality was terrible. That is why I used MPeg. Do you use AVI format?

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing from you!

When I shut down DMX Launcher videowave will not open! Maybe I should re-install as you suggested.

If I were to shorten the segments as you and myguggi suggested would I have to redo the dmsm projects I have done. Or could I point the program to the shortened file? If I re-captured the whole thing again in avi format I'd have to start all over right?

Myguggi said I should have captured in AVI format initially - but as I told him I tried that and the video quality was terrible. That is why I used MPeg. Do you use AVI format?

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing from you!

1. I've personally always captured in mpeg, but everyone has their favorite that works best for them. There is no one correct choice because everyone is looking for something different.

2. I would just turn the DMX Launcher back on.

3. Like myguggi said, shorter segments would be best.

4. You may not have to redo the dmsm projects. Try loading one of them and then performing the OUTPUT AS to create a new mpg file. The catch is that you can't undo anything on the new mpg file.

5. If you recapture you would be starting all over.

1. I've personally always captured in mpeg, but everyone has their favorite that works best for them. There is no one correct choice because everyone is looking for something different.

2. I would just turn the DMX Launcher back on.

3. Like myguggi said, shorter segments would be best.

4. You may not have to redo the dmsm projects. Try loading one of them and then performing the OUTPUT AS to create a new mpg file. The catch is that you can't undo anything on the new mpg file.

5. If you recapture you would be starting all over.

Just for the heck of it I went back to my old computer and re-captured 15 min of my video in avi format, in the Roxio Video capture program. All went well - but videowave crashes when I try to open it. Says the file type may not be supported. It will open the mpeg file. ????????????????????????????

FYI - I un-installed Dray to Disk and Media Watcher.

Just for the heck of it I went back to my old computer and re-captured 15 min of my video in avi format, in the Roxio Video capture program. All went well - but videowave crashes when I try to open it. Says the file type may not be supported. It will open the mpeg file. ????????????????????????????

FYI - I un-installed Dray to Disk and Media Watcher.

Check out the following link to see if it will help you out.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...ost&p=63406

If you have the capability to capture as .avi, and you still capture as .mpeg, then you don't care much about the quality of your video.

Edited by grandpabruce

If you have the capability to capture as .avi, and you still capture as .mpeg, then you don't care much about the quality of your video.

Perhaps I should have been clearer. 95% of the video I am given to create comes to me on DVD's, so it isn't that I don't care about the quality, it's just what I'm given to work with :D .

Perhaps I should have been clearer. 95% of the video I am given to create comes to me on DVD's, so it isn't that I don't care about the quality, it's just what I'm given to work with :D .

I guess you must have forgotten to mention that in 1. in your post. Not being able to capture as .avi vs a preference to capture as .mpeg, are two different animals.

Check out the following link to see if it will help you out.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...ost&p=63406

Ok Mark - i brought the avi file into Windows Movie Maker it was fine - but I do not see any option to export it. So I saved it to a DV file and tried to open it into Video wave. No go - Video wave says it is not a supported format or the file is corrupted. I do not understand any of this - isn't an avi file and avi file?

And if AVI is supported by Videowave why dosen't it just open it?

I'm getting dizzy!

Ok Mark - i brought the avi file into Windows Movie Maker it was fine - but I do not see any option to export it. So I saved it to a DV file and tried to open it into Video wave. No go - Video wave says it is not a supported format or the file is corrupted. I do not understand any of this - isn't an avi file and avi file?

And if AVI is supported by Videowave why dosen't it just open it?

I'm getting dizzy!

If you captured it with Roxio to avi format, VideoWave should be able to read it in. Unfortunately I can't test this since my computer that has EMC-9 on it died an untimely death Monday due to it's inability to accept a bath of milk from my grandson :( . I've decided to rebuild it, but parts haven't arrived yet. It does work in EMC-10 as I borrowed my neighbor's camcorder for a quick test. As you probably read the back and forth between Bruce and myself, I don't do much import except from DVD's.

As for the the Windows Movie Maker, maybe this conversion will allow VideoWave to read it:

- import the video into WMM

- drag the clip to the bottom story panel

- From the File menu, select Save Movie File

- With MY COMPUTER selected, click Next button

- enter a different name for the clip and where to save it, click Next button

- click on the SHOW MORE CHOICES link

- pull down the OTHER SETTINGS list and select DV-AVI (NTSC)

- click Next and it will build a new avi file

Maybe VideoWave can read this one.

If you captured it with Roxio to avi format, VideoWave should be able to read it in. Unfortunately I can't test this since my computer that has EMC-9 on it died an untimely death Monday due to it's inability to accept a bath of milk from my grandson :( . I've decided to rebuild it, but parts haven't arrived yet. It does work in EMC-10 as I borrowed my neighbor's camcorder for a quick test. As you probably read the back and forth between Bruce and myself, I don't do much import except from DVD's.

As for the the Windows Movie Maker, maybe this conversion will allow VideoWave to read it:

- import the video into WMM

- drag the clip to the bottom story panel

- From the File menu, select Save Movie File

- With MY COMPUTER selected, click Next button

- enter a different name for the clip and where to save it, click Next button

- click on the SHOW MORE CHOICES link

- pull down the OTHER SETTINGS list and select DV-AVI (NTSC)

- click Next and it will build a new avi file

Maybe VideoWave can read this one.

Sorry to hear about your drowned computer. Good luck with the new one.

I will try the Windows Movie Maker idea, again. You do know I've captured this video from my VCR right? Not a Video camera. If videowave is supposed read AVI why can't it just read the one I recorded? I'll let you know.

Thank you for your patience and sticking with me

Penny

Sorry to hear about your drowned computer. Good luck with the new one.

I will try the Windows Movie Maker idea, again. You do know I've captured this video from my VCR right? Not a Video camera. If videowave is supposed read AVI why can't it just read the one I recorded? I'll let you know.

Thank you for your patience and sticking with me

Penny

I'm Back.............

Well did as you said - and tried to open in videowave - it didn't work. In a last ditch effort I moved the WMM file to my D Partition, and Walla! it worked, videowave even opened the origial avi file (not put thru WMM) after I moved it to D. Oh joy! Don't know why it worked or why I even thought to move it to D but I don't care - it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your time and effort - we practically spent all day together - I really appreciate it!

Put a raincoat on that new computer when your granchild's around.

Penny :D

I'm Back.............

Well did as you said - and tried to open in videowave - it didn't work. In a last ditch effort I moved the WMM file to my D Partition, and Walla! it worked, videowave even opened the origial avi file (not put thru WMM) after I moved it to D. Oh joy! Don't know why it worked or why I even thought to move it to D but I don't care - it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your time and effort - we practically spent all day together - I really appreciate it!

Put a raincoat on that new computer when your granchild's around.

Penny :D

:D:D Glad to hear the good news! Regarding it working from the D drive and not the C drive, try the following:

1. From Explorer, right-click on your C drive and select Properties.

2. From the GENERAL tab, click on the DISK CLEANUP button to remove temporary files.

3. Remove files from your Windows TEMP directory.

- from Explorer, click on the TOOLS menu and select Folder Options.

- locate a radio button labeled SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and select it

- navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\{your_login_name}\Local Settings\Temp

- delete everything

4. Empty your Recycle Bin

5. Most important: Defragment your C drive.

- get into the C drive Properties again (step 1 above)

- select the TOOLS tab

- click the DEFRAGMENT NOW button

- click on the DEFRAGMENT button in the pop-up window

I know you have Norton AntiVirus. Do you have the SystemWorks? If so, it has a defragment routine (Speed Disk) that you can set to run automatically while you sleep -- a real plus.

Regarding my grandchild. He broke the rules and now has no access to my computers for a while. At least now he knows why I had a no drinking rule in place. :unsure:

P.S. Even if you don't have SystemWorks, there is a way to schedule a defrag using the program that comes with Windows. Let me know if you want to set this up.