• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Penny

Slow Editing in Video Wave

Question

Hello - I have been using EMC9 for several months. After the learning curve, I really enjoy it. But still found editing to be so slow - I decided to invest in a new Intel Core Duo computer. Set up as follows;

Windows XP Pro

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 (BX80557E6850) 3.0GHZ EM64T DUAL CORE W/4MB CACHE 1333MHZ LGA775-PIN RETAIL BOXED W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS WARRANTY) =ARCTIC SILVER 5 COMPOUND

ASUS P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP INTEL P35 CHIPSET ATX FORM FACTOR (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775)

KINGSTON HYPER X KHX8500D2K2/2G 2GB KIT (1GB x 2) MATCH PAIR PC28500 1066MHZ CL5 5-5-5-15

ATI RADEON X1950 PRO 256MB GDDR3 VIVO CROSSFIRE PCI-E DUAL DVI/HDTV

ANTEC TITAN 650 SERVER TOWER W/650W POWER SUPPLY 4x5.25" 6x3.5"(hidden)

2 -S EAGATE 500GB ST3500630NS SATA ES 7200RPM 16MB

LITE-ON LH-20A1L-06 20X SUPERALLWRITE SATA+LIGHTSCRIBE

After doing all the updates and installs. I started videowave - and sorry to say the editing it still slow.

Adding a transition - changing the display time of a photograph, takes at least two minutes some times longer and when I start to play it in videowave to see how it looks and sounds - sometimes the music stops playing, and sometimes it just stops altogether.

Each section of my movie it about 15 to 30 minutes - with photos edited in photo editor, video, music, transitions and special effects. I have found and probably is natural the more transitions, special effects etc. I add the slower it gets. But can't believe it should slow down as much as it does.

The only thing I can think of is when I originally captured the video from a VHS tape I made it one file. My plan was to split it up in Videowave, which I did. But now it seems each section contains more KB's then the first one. For example:

The First section "1967.DMSM" File is 1023 KB - 30 minutes

The Second "1969.DMSM File is 5211 KB - 15 minutes

The Third "1970.DMSM" File is a whopping 89,108 KB and is only 18 minutes.

I don't know exactly what I was doing - but I was in the time line view moving something (in the third section of the video) and I saw the beginning scenes of the video. (From the first section)

This is hard to explain but it seems like the whole movie is in each section or something - even though I deleted them from each section.

I hope someone can help me - it's making me nuts.

Thanks, sorry for being so long.

Penny

:D:D Glad to hear the good news! Regarding it working from the D drive and not the C drive, try the following:

1. From Explorer, right-click on your C drive and select Properties.

2. From the GENERAL tab, click on the DISK CLEANUP button to remove temporary files.

3. Remove files from your Windows TEMP directory.

- from Explorer, click on the TOOLS menu and select Folder Options.

- locate a radio button labeled SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and select it

- navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\{your_login_name}\Local Settings\Temp

- delete everything

4. Empty your Recycle Bin

5. Most important: Defragment your C drive.

- get into the C drive Properties again (step 1 above)

- select the TOOLS tab

- click the DEFRAGMENT NOW button

- click on the DEFRAGMENT button in the pop-up window

I know you have Norton AntiVirus. Do you have the SystemWorks? If so, it has a defragment routine (Speed Disk) that you can set to run automatically while you sleep -- a real plus.

Regarding my grandchild. He broke the rules and now has no access to my computers for a while. At least now he knows why I had a no drinking rule in place. :unsure:

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday. Getting ready for Thanksgiving. Any way - I do defrag, I use Windows defrag and Auslogics, it is faster. Regarding the C:\Documents and Settings\{your_login_name}\Local Settings\Temp there seems to be alot going on that file. Lots of files - OsVista Migration check - don't know where that came from - I ran it once just to see if I could use Vista on this computer. Now it apparently runs everyday. How come Windows Disk Cleanup does not clean C:\Documents and Settings\{your_login_name}\Local Settings\Temp? Kind of scary to delete everything in that temp file - it has set up files for my ATI Video Card and Lan updates. Boy the more ya know the dumber I feel!

Another question - in one of the posts I read on this forum (can't remember who it was) They were explaning to someone how they had partitoned their Boot Drive © installed WINXP on their C: Drive Partition and then installed Roxio on their D partition of the Boot Drive. I didn't know you could do that. I thought all programs had to be on C.

Thanks for any info

Penny :unsure::unsure:

Sorry I didn't get back yesterday. Getting ready for Thanksgiving. Any way - I do defrag, I use Windows defrag and Auslogics, it is faster. Regarding the C:\Documents and Settings\{your_login_name}\Local Settings\Temp there seems to be alot going on that file. Lots of files - OsVista Migration check - don't know where that came from - I ran it once just to see if I could use Vista on this computer. Now it apparently runs everyday. How come Windows Disk Cleanup does not clean C:\Documents and Settings\{your_login_name}\Local Settings\Temp? Kind of scary to delete everything in that temp file - it has set up files for my ATI Video Card and Lan updates. Boy the more ya know the dumber I feel!

Another question - in one of the posts I read on this forum (can't remember who it was) They were explaning to someone how they had partitoned their Boot Drive © installed WINXP on their C: Drive Partition and then installed Roxio on their D partition of the Boot Drive. I didn't know you could do that. I thought all programs had to be on C.

Thanks for any info

I'd like to jump in here with more questions about temp files. I've used the "run" feature for TEMP and %TEMP% .The TEMP has about 238MB and the %TEMP% about 31MB. Running disc cleanup doesn't do anything to these numbers.As Penny says, there seems to be a lot of unknowns about what these files are.I thought I read somwhere that even if you select all the files in the folder and attempt to delete them, Windows will not let you delete some of them.Is this the case? Is there anything in these folders that needs to stay there?

I'd like to jump in here with more questions about temp files. I've used the "run" feature for TEMP and %TEMP% .The TEMP has about 238MB and the %TEMP% about 31MB. Running disc cleanup doesn't do anything to these numbers.As Penny says, there seems to be a lot of unknowns about what these files are.I thought I read somwhere that even if you select all the files in the folder and attempt to delete them, Windows will not let you delete some of them.Is this the case? Is there anything in these folders that needs to stay there?

1. There should be no required files in the TEMP folder. Regarding the program updates (ATI / LAN), most programs routinely put the installation files in the TEMP folder under their folder name. Once the install is completed, the files are no longer needed. Some installs take care of this and delete the no longer needed files, others do not.

2. The best time to try deleteing files from the TEMP folder is just after a restart. You can usually get them all to delete. If one or two won't delete, I wouldn't worry about it. They are normally files used by either the system, AV protection, etc. and are usually very small files.

3. If you are worried they may be required, just move them (highlight, cut, select new directory, paste) to a new folder and then see if anything goes wrong. As I said before, this should be very safe, but nothing is 100% certain.

Below are the steps you can take to have your Windows system automatically run a defrag every week on all of your hard drives:

Open NOTEPAD and type in the following line:

defrag C: -f

If you want to defrag more than the C drive, add another line for each drive.

Save this to a file called defrag_all.cmd and remember what directory you placed it in. I put mine (on my second computer which does not have SystemWorks) in the C:\ directory so it is easy to find. Note: in notepad, to save a file without the .txt extension, change the FILE TYPE to ALL FILES when saving the file.

From the Control Panel (Start Menu -> Control Panel), select SCHEDULED TASKS.

Click on the ADD SCHEDULED TASK entry.

Click on the NEXT button.

Click on the BROWSE button and select the DEFRAG_ALL.CMD file that you created.

Click on the WEEKLY option (should be sufficient -- could go daily).

Select a time to start the task (say 2:00 AM).

Select the start date for tomorrow.

Enter your login password in the appropriate boxes.

Click on the FINISH button.

To test, right-click on the new entry and select RUN.

You should see a command window open and start the task.

The window will close when finished and entries on the DEFRAG_ALL line should update.

- Last run time.

- Status should = 0x0 (means it ran without problems)

Thanks for any info

You can install a program on any drive you want. It does not have to be the C drive. However, installing all programs to the C drive makes sense in most cases. I install everything to my C drive and have data files, financials, audio and video on separate partitions. With SystemWorks I back up my C drive every week and just before installing new software. That way, if anything gets messed up or I don't like the software, I restore to my original location. It all depends on how much software you have installed on your computer. My Program Files directory has 75 sub-directories which means I have about 60 programs installed on my computer. For me to rebuild all of this takes over a week. I know this because even with the steps I take I end up starting from scratch about every 12 to 18 months. Backup programs are fairly cheap now.

You can install a program on any drive you want. It does not have to be the C drive. However, installing all programs to the C drive makes sense in most cases. I install everything to my C drive and have data files, financials, audio and video on separate partitions. With SystemWorks I back up my C drive every week and just before installing new software. That way, if anything gets messed up or I don't like the software, I restore to my original location. It all depends on how much software you have installed on your computer. My Program Files directory has 75 sub-directories which means I have about 60 programs installed on my computer. For me to rebuild all of this takes over a week. I know this because even with the steps I take I end up starting from scratch about every 12 to 18 months. Backup programs are fairly cheap now.

Two more questions and I will not bother you - for a while anyway!

You do not use the Roxio Backup or Backup my pc? and do you think I should upgrade to Easy Media Creator 10? If I did, would the work I have done in EMC 9 be compatible?

Guess that 3 questions -

Thanks,

Penny

Two more questions and I will not bother you - for a while anyway!

You do not use the Roxio Backup or Backup my pc? and do you think I should upgrade to Easy Media Creator 10? If I did, would the work I have done in EMC 9 be compatible?

Guess that 3 questions -

Thanks,

Penny

1. I use Norton Save and Restore (part of SystemWorks) to backup my PC's. The main reason is that it is scheduled and I don't have to remember to perform a backup.

2. One word of warning. If you are using the Backup My PC in EMC-9, it was dropped for EMC-10.

3. VideoWave and MyDVD projects from EMC-9 can be loaded in EMC-10. The only place you may run into a problem is if some of the EMC-9 menus don't exist in EMC-10 ... but I think they did include all of them (can't check this -- new computer parts arriving SOON).

4. The Auslogic defrag is a better one than the wimpy Windows defrag :) just remember to run it :) . Also, if you look under OPTIONS, it has a setting to delete TEMP files before it starts, but I don't know exactly what all it will delete.

Happy computing !

1. I use Norton Save and Restore (part of SystemWorks) to backup my PC's. The main reason is that it is scheduled and I don't have to remember to perform a backup.

2. One word of warning. If you are using the Backup My PC in EMC-9, it was dropped for EMC-10.

3. VideoWave and MyDVD projects from EMC-9 can be loaded in EMC-10. The only place you may run into a problem is if some of the EMC-9 menus don't exist in EMC-10 ... but I think they did include all of them (can't check this -- new computer parts arriving SOON).

4. The Auslogic defrag is a better one than the wimpy Windows defrag :) just remember to run it :) . Also, if you look under OPTIONS, it has a setting to delete TEMP files before it starts, but I don't know exactly what all it will delete.

Happy computing !

I Thankyou, My Husband Thanks you and my dog Thanks you!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

I Thankyou, My Husband Thanks you and my dog Thanks you!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

You are very welcome ... always a pleasure to assist someone who wants to get their system working better instead of just complaining that it doesn't!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!