• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Write speed

The Nail

Question

On my old, sadly deceased, PC, Roxio 5 allowed me to set the write speed from a choice of several, the slowest being 4 times. Is there anyway I can set Roxio 9 on my new PC to a similar write speed? The only option I have found gives me a choice of Max or 48 times - not much of a choice really. My hi-fi is obviously sensitive and is not always impressed with CDs burnt at a high speed.

9 answers to this question

Thanks again. My software is the Dell free version and doesn't seem quite like described for finding the info I needed, though I did find it. I seem to have an LG GSA H31N running firmware B109 but cannot find anything on "here" for that particular drive. I'll keep looking for a solution.

I note what you say about not burning too slow, but even 12x must be better for my hi-fi cd player than 48x. I've only recorded one disc on my new pc so far and it played perfectly the first time. The second time, however, the final track distorted. Burning at a slower speed on my old pc cured this occasional distortion, hence my question. Most of my copies are for the car anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem until I start burning compilation "best of" discs or finally get round to copying all my old vinyl.

Thanks for the advice. Pardon me for being thick and a noob, but how do I do that? I had a quick look at the Upgrade area but it seemed to just want to flog me the latest software.

Open Easy Media Creator 9, tools, DVDInfo Pro. On the main page make sure your drive is selected on the left bottom. Then on the right side of the screen is Drive Information. Take note of your drive make and model, also the firmware revision. Take that info and lookhere for a firmware update.

cd

Thanks again. My software is the Dell free version and doesn't seem quite like described for finding the info I needed, though I did find it. I seem to have an LG GSA H31N running firmware B109 but cannot find anything on "here" for that particular drive. I'll keep looking for a solution.

I note what you say about not burning too slow, but even 12x must be better for my hi-fi cd player than 48x. I've only recorded one disc on my new pc so far and it played perfectly the first time. The second time, however, the final track distorted. Burning at a slower speed on my old pc cured this occasional distortion, hence my question. Most of my copies are for the car anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem until I start burning compilation "best of" discs or finally get round to copying all my old vinyl.

According to what I found at this web site, here are the following speeds for this LG/Hiatchi burner. Strangely enough, I could not locate it on the LG web site. From another site, the latest firmware they show is the B109.

48xCDR

32xCDRW

16xDVD-R

6xDVD-RW

16xDVD+R

8xDVD+RW

8xDVD+RDL

According to what I found at this web site, here are the following speeds for this LG/Hiatchi burner. Strangely enough, I could not locate it on the LG web site. From another site, the latest firmware they show is the B109.

48xCDR

32xCDRW

16xDVD-R

6xDVD-RW

16xDVD+R

8xDVD+RW

8xDVD+RDL

MarkR,

the only sure way to know is use a program that will test the firmware and the media for 'Write Speed Descriptor(s)'. What videohelp.com says and your quoting is the max burn speed for the drive. This means nothing without checking what the firmware supports using xxxxxxx media...

What firmware are you using LL06?

cd

You should also be aware that many of the newer high speed burners do not do well at low speeds… They have been optimized for high speed and suffer when forced to burn at low speeds.

So what used to be the 'Cure' has now become the 'Problem'…

Try some at high speed see what happens.

You should also be aware that many of the newer high speed burners do not do well at low speeds… They have been optimized for high speed and suffer when forced to burn at low speeds.

So what used to be the 'Cure' has now become the 'Problem'…

Try some at high speed see what happens.

The firmware and the media aren't supporting slower burn speeds, look at the write speeds below for two Verbatim CD-R disc's.

CD-R Verbatim LightScribe 5 Colored Disc's,

CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : CD-R

Manufacturer: : Moser Baer

MID : 97m17s06f

Write speeds: : 12 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X - 40 X - 48 X

Capacity: : 79:59.74: 703 MB

Extended Information

Usage : General

Disc Status : Empty

Raw Data

ATIP

0000 - D0 00 A0 00 61 11 06 00 4F 3B 4A 00 00 00 00 00 - ....a...O;J.....

0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - ........

CD-R Verbatim Branded Data Life Plus disc,

CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info

Basic Information

Disc type: : CD-R

Manufacturer: : Verbatim

MID : 97m34s23f

Write speeds: : 12 X - 16 X - 24 X - 32 X - 40 X - 48 X

Capacity: : 79:59.73: 703 MB

Extended Information

Usage : General

Disc Status : Empty

Raw Data

ATIP

0000 - C0 00 98 00 61 22 17 00 4F 3B 49 00 00 00 00 00 - ....a"..O;I.....

0010 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - ........

cd

Archived