Sign in to follow this  
porthome

Dvd Burns And Will Play Only On Dvd-rw Drive!

Question

I built a video production using Videowave, which looks lovely when Previewed. I created a production with DVD Builder which looks lovely when previewed. I burn it, and find that it will not play on my set-top DVD (disk loads and goes into STOP mode). It will not play using the Sonic player - just opens blank screen and stops. It will not play from my DVD-ROM drive using Windows Media Player (loads and plays title background music to blank screen). It will play, sort of, with WMP from my DVD-RW burner, but shows TWO titles on the playlist.

What's going on? I have not had this sort of problem with other video software...

Or - alternative question - isthere a way to convert a Roxio video production (filetype .dmsm) into a standard video format like .avi so I can use another burner program to make a DVD?

Perry B

3 answers to this question

I built a video production using Videowave, which looks lovely when Previewed. I created a production with DVD Builder which looks lovely when previewed. I burn it, and find that it will not play on my set-top DVD (disk loads and goes into STOP mode). It will not play using the Sonic player - just opens blank screen and stops. It will not play from my DVD-ROM drive using Windows Media Player (loads and plays title background music to blank screen). It will play, sort of, with WMP from my DVD-RW burner, but shows TWO titles on the playlist.

What's going on? I have not had this sort of problem with other video software...

Or - alternative question - isthere a way to convert a Roxio video production (filetype .dmsm) into a standard video format like .avi so I can use another burner program to make a DVD?

Perry B

It sounds like you got a bad burn. Try it again, and instead of burning to a DVD, burn to an image file (ISO) at best quality, then use Disc Copier to copy it to a DVD.

It sounds like you got a bad burn. Try it again, and instead of burning to a DVD, burn to an image file (ISO) at best quality, then use Disc Copier to copy it to a DVD.

I saw that advice somewhere else as well, and tried it. Works like a charm. Thanks!

Proof positive that the Roxio burn routines are crap. Silly to blame the media as they do.

Perry B

I saw that advice somewhere else as well, and tried it. Works like a charm. Thanks!

Proof positive that the Roxio burn routines are crap. Silly to blame the media as they do.

Perry B

You are both welcome and wrong at the same time. :) There is nothing wrong with the Roxio burn routine. Your computer may not be able to handle the double process of encoding and burning at the same time. Burning to an ISO file first, eliminates that by doing the encoding by itself. Once that is done, the burning to a disc, using Disc Copier, does that portion of the video work.

Hopefully, you now have a better understanding of the processes involved in video work, even though my explanation is a very short version of what happens.

Edited by grandpabruce