• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Troubles With Copy and Convert

jcrisman

Question

I am having the same problem.

After reading some of the other posts in the forum I followed the instructions in http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...N?set-locale=en which has me uninstalling and cleaning up the registry and left over folders. I did no and reinstalled. The results are the same.

I am using the compile movies program. I selected 5 small moves collected from 3 disks and loaded them into the application. When I try to create either a File/Folder or Disc/Disc Image and hit Save as... the application begins to initialize then delivers the message "Unspecified Error [0x80004005].

Suggestions?

John Crisman

Dell Precision 380

XP Pro

Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701

9 answers to this question

If you select disc/disc image, click burn, did you uncheck the drive and check save disc image file?

Yes, I just tried every combination of the drive and file check boxes with the same dreaded result.

Since I started this thread I contacted Dell and received a replacement DVD drive thinking that the drive was the source of the error. Same result. I am thinking that this is a Roxio code problem.

John Crisman

jcrisman,

OK, I was having the exact same problem. Having checked your thread for close to a month now looking for suggestions - to no avail, I decided to have a few drinks. Suprise, suprise, I found a solution...

This worked like a charm for me...

Prior to opening Roxio to "compile movies", create a new folder on your hard drive (name it "Roxio", or something else you'll remember). Once you've completed that, start Roxio and select "Compile Movies".

Next, "Add Movies" as you normally would. Once you have your compilation as desired, select "Tools" from the menu bar, followed by "options". Change all directories on that menu box ie. "Log File", "Cache File" etc. to the folder you created - click apply, and burn your compilation like you've never been able to.

Not sure if there is a permission issue between Windows Vista and Roxio with the default folders Roxio sets up, but it worked perfectly after I made these adjustments. Please let me know if it works for you, or if you need clarification on anything I've posted - did I mention I've had a few drinks?

The threads concerning Videowave crashes inspired me to try this, so perhaps it's an inherent problem with Roxio. Maybe the program itself (Roxio) does not have permission to access the default folders it creates during the setup (hell, Vista won't let me access stuff half the time).

I hardly belong anywhere near an IT department - these are just my thoughts.

I am having the same problem.

After reading some of the other posts in the forum I followed the instructions in http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/General%20I...N?set-locale=en which has me uninstalling and cleaning up the registry and left over folders. I did no and reinstalled. The results are the same.

I am using the compile movies program. I selected 5 small moves collected from 3 disks and loaded them into the application. When I try to create either a File/Folder or Disc/Disc Image and hit Save as... the application begins to initialize then delivers the message "Unspecified Error [0x80004005].

Suggestions?

John Crisman

Dell Precision 380

XP Pro

Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701

Did you copy those discs to your hard drive, first? Have you updated the firmware on that Philips drive?

Yes, I did copy them to my hard drive first. Is that the issue? could not find an update on the drive.

I just performed a test. I pulled the video from only one source disk (DVD) and tried to create a file useing Roxio Video Copy & Convert. Same result, unspecified error.

I eliminated the issue with the copy of the video suggested above. Does this mean that it is my DVD drive eventhough I am creating a file not burning a DVD disc? I am an experienced user but new to the video world.

Any suggestions from you sage professionals would be greatly appreciated.

John

I just performed a test. I pulled the video from only one source disk (DVD) and tried to create a file useing Roxio Video Copy & Convert. Same result, unspecified error.

I eliminated the issue with the copy of the video suggested above. Does this mean that it is my DVD drive eventhough I am creating a file not burning a DVD disc? I am an experienced user but new to the video world.

Any suggestions from you sage professionals would be greatly appreciated.

John

No, I mistakenly thought you were burning directly to a DVD. My bad.

No, I mistakenly thought you were burning directly to a DVD. My bad.

I did notice that eventhough I am burning to a file it still tries to initalize the drive. Perhaps the drive is the problem after all. I contacted Dell and they are shipping a replacement drive for me to try. Hopefully, that will be the end of the problem.

John

Archived