• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

riddick021

Popcorn still screwed up

Question

Its officially out of beta and it still doesn't import encoded files to itunes like its supposed to. It finally imports the file into itunes but it doesn't have the show info. I will never buy Roxio software. I as well as others have explained this problem clearly both before and during the beta. Now that this is out of beta I doubt this will be fixed any time soon. I got this program specifically to automate the process of getting shows from my TiVo to my iPod because that was the one feature that was lacking in Toast. Now I have two pieces of software that can do a bunch of things i don't need them to do and not the one ADVERTISED thing that I got them for TiVoToGo. If you have any desire to appease your users please fix this with the Toast update because we all know another popcorn update is not likely for months, if even that.

16 answers to this question

Its officially out of beta and it still doesn't import encoded files to itunes like its supposed to. It finally imports the file into itunes but it doesn't have the show info. I will never buy Roxio software. I as well as others have explained this problem clearly both before and during the beta. Now that this is out of beta I doubt this will be fixed any time soon. I got this program specifically to automate the process of getting shows from my TiVo to my iPod because that was the one feature that was lacking in Toast. Now I have two pieces of software that can do a bunch of things i don't need them to do and not the one ADVERTISED thing that I got them for TiVoToGo. If you have any desire to appease your users please fix this with the Toast update because we all know another popcorn update is not likely for months, if even that.

I AGREE!!

Popcorn 3 will be the LAST program I will buy from Roxio!

This program has more issues than a one legged dog trying to take a *^$$.......

Is this true? Will they not fix this problem? I purchased Popcorn because my Toast Titanium stopped converting shows from Tivo to iPod format and I thought (hoped) that Popcorn would do this (as advertised). I understand the they hit a glitch with the Tivo upgrade (and Leopard as well), but to think they won't fix this is really upsetting.

cp

Is this true? Will they not fix this problem? I purchased Popcorn because my Toast Titanium stopped converting shows from Tivo to iPod format and I thought (hoped) that Popcorn would do this (as advertised). I understand the they hit a glitch with the Tivo upgrade (and Leopard as well), but to think they won't fix this is really upsetting.

cp

Just to be clear: What I read riddick021 saying is that it now converts and exports the video into iTunes but it fails to include the show info.

Just to be clear: What I read riddick021 saying is that it now converts and exports the video into iTunes but it fails to include the show info.

That is exactly right. I can confirm this as well. The file automatically converts and is added into itunes. However, it is missing show info. The behavior before was that the file would get dumped to the desktop and not to itunes, that is now fixed. When it would dump the file to the desktop, it could be manually dragged into itunes, but it too lacked the show info. The only way I can get show info is to uncheck the automatic option in Tivo Transfer prefs. Let the file download, manually drag it into the conversion window and click convert.

That file will automatically go into itunes and have show info.

So there seems to be a disconnect with the show info being properly handed off when the file is automatically passed to Popcorn.

I say Kudos to everyone on the forum who spoke out about the other issues and got the ball rolling to get some of the problems fixed. I hope there will be a 3.03 beta up soon.

I have to say, I have no idea how software companies did it in the past without this sort of instant feedback from forums and instant downloads that users can test. I can't help but think that corners are being cut to "just get it out". I'm willing to help because I want what I paid for to work. However, if I were to look at my time as having the same value as someone internal to Roxio, I'm quite sure my paycheck for my testing would have far exceeded what I paid for Popcorn.

I'll stick it out and get this to work, but as Riddick said, you can bet this is the last Roxio product I buy or recommend. Roxio would do well to hire a few extra programmers and they might make up for it in future sales of completed software that delivers its promised feature set from the beginning.

cp

I'm not saying they won't fix it but given how long they took to get this update out and the fact that I specifically told paratox about this problem (which he acknowledged) and it still isn't 100% pisses me off. Since this is the final version of this update and not another version of the beta I don't think they are going to have another update for a couple of months. And even then who knows if they will find this issue important when they obviously didn't care this time. The only reason I got toast and popcorn was for the TivoToGo aspect. OSX has burning capabilities built in which is all that I need for the few CD's I burn on occasion. If TivoToGo doesn't work right there's no point to using this software, atleast for me.

Edited by riddick021

I'm not saying they won't fix it but given how long they took to get this update out and the fact that I specifically told paratox about this problem (which he acknowledged) and it still isn't 100% pisses me off. Since this is the final version of this update and not another version of the beta I don't think they are going to have another update for a couple of months. And even then who knows if they will find this issue important when they obviously didn't care this time. The only reason I got toast and popcorn was for the TivoToGo aspect. OSX has burning capabilities built in which is all that I need for the few CD's I burn on occasion. If TivoToGo doesn't work right there's no point to using this software, atleast for me.

To be honest. I am finding the auto transfer to be far less important a bug than the Audio Sync issue I am now having. The shows play fine in Toast player, but encoding in any format yields poor audio sync. I'd much rather see that problem addressed, and fast.

I didn't really notice it. I have been waiting for the auto sync feature to work before I really start using this software regularly. I see no point in watching the shows on my computer when I could just watch it on my HDTV. My ipod is a different story though. It would be great if the process was automated so i don't have to remember to turn it on and I could have it take place while I'm sleeping. I haven't really noticed anything with the audio, I guess I should take a closer look.

I didn't really notice it. I have been waiting for the auto sync feature to work before I really start using this software regularly. I see no point in watching the shows on my computer when I could just watch it on my HDTV. My ipod is a different story though. It would be great if the process was automated so i don't have to remember to turn it on and I could have it take place while I'm sleeping. I haven't really noticed anything with the audio, I guess I should take a closer look.

If it's a problem, you would notice. Perhaps it's something with my Series 2. Do you have an S3 or a TivoHD?

I don't think they are going to have another update for a couple of months.

That is just pure speculation on your part. No doubt everyone here can appreciate your disappointment, but to be fair they had to also worry about updating all of their other programs to make them compatible to work with 10.5. That's a lot of code to rewrite in a short amount of time. Having said that Roxio needs to do one of two things to remain a reputable software company; either stop making claims that their product can perform a function which it clearly (at this point) does not, or update the program to give it the functionality that they advertise it to have. Which brings us to your next quote...

It finally imports the file into itunes but it doesn't have the show info.

Could you be more specific about you mean by 'show info'? I think this would be helpful to Roxio. I looked at their main page and it does not say anything about displaying info. What it says it'll do is;

"TiVoToGo support for the Mac lets you transfer shows from your TiVo DVR, watch on your Mac, burn to disc, or convert for playback on a portable device"

Popcorn now does import the file into iTunes. Is it possible that you misunderstood what they meant in their description? Maybe it was never intended to do what you thought it would. Could you post where they claim that it will also display the shows 'info'? :unsure: Hopefully now that all Roxio programs have been updated to work with Leopard they will be able to devote more time on areas like this and the audio sync issue.

That is just pure speculation on your part. No doubt everyone here can appreciate your disappointment, but to be fair they had to also worry about updating all of their other programs to make them compatible to work with 10.5. That's a lot of code to rewrite in a short amount of time. Having said that Roxio needs to do one of two things to remain a reputable software company; either stop making claims that their product can perform a function which it clearly (at this point) does not, or update the program to give it the functionality that they advertise it to have. Which brings us to your next quote...

Could you be more specific about you mean by 'show info'? I think this would be helpful to Roxio. I looked at their main page and it does not say anything about displaying info. What it says it'll do is;

"TiVoToGo support for the Mac lets you transfer shows from your TiVo DVR, watch on your Mac, burn to disc, or convert for playback on a portable device"

Popcorn now does import the file into iTunes. Is it possible that you misunderstood what they meant in their description? Maybe it was never intended to do what you thought it would. Could you post where they claim that it will also display the shows 'info'? :unsure: Hopefully now that all Roxio programs have been updated to work with Leopard they will be able to devote more time on areas like this and the audio sync issue.

The thing is it works perfectly if i manually open up popcorn drag the TiVo file on to it and tell it to export for iPod. The result of this action puts a copy in iTunes with the show name, episode, and description of the episode. Checking the box in TivoTransfer to automatically encode in popcorn yields the the show exported to itunes with only the actual file name. My problem is that this didn't work well before leopard was released and they choose to take the software out of beta before this issue was resolved. This makes me think that they think everything is fixed when clearly it is not. If they had simply released an update to the beta and said that they are working on a metadata fix I would have been fine with that. But from my experience once a final software update is released the next one is usually months away.

I understand they have a lot of fixing to do and I sympathize with them but this is not free software people pay for it so fixes for bugs is not something Roxio is doing as a favor, it is something that is necessary for the software to live up to the cost paid for it. My gripe is that I explained this problem exactly before the final version was out and it was still not resolved. I don't see how this could be all that difficult to fix considering it works perfectly when the Tivo file export is user initiated.

Edited by riddick021

If it's a problem, you would notice. Perhaps it's something with my Series 2. Do you have an S3 or a TivoHD?

Yeah i don't seem to have this problem I have both an S2 and an S3 and I use turbo.264 to encode for iPod in the highest setting.

I haven't transfered anything from my S2 since MRV for the S3 came out though. I now basically only use the S2 in my bedroom so I can watch what's on my S3.

Edited by riddick021

Yeah i don't seem to have this problem I have both an S2 and an S3 and I use turbo.264 to encode for iPod in the highest setting.

I haven't transfered anything from my S2 since MRV for the S3 came out though. I now basically only use the S2 in my bedroom so I can watch what's on my S3.

Can you try encoding something without the Turbo.264? Since this does its own conversion, that would lead me to believe that the problem is with Popcorn's transcoder.

If I can be sure the t.264 will work, I'll just buy one and not look back. Although I can't help but wonder if it will be any faster than my 1.83 Core Duo machine. What are you running it on?

Can you try encoding something without the Turbo.264? Since this does its own conversion, that would lead me to believe that the problem is with Popcorn's transcoder.

If I can be sure the t.264 will work, I'll just buy one and not look back. Although I can't help but wonder if it will be any faster than my 1.83 Core Duo machine. What are you running it on?

Sure ill try it tonight but its definitely going to take a while. I have a 1.33Mhz G4 Powerbook. You want me to check from my S2 or S3?

Maybe Tivo Transfier is the problem. It may not be sending the metadata correctly to Popcorn.

Would that cause sync errors or are you referring to the file data going into itunes?

Sure ill try it tonight but its definitely going to take a while. I have a 1.33Mhz G4 Powerbook. You want me to check from my S2 or S3?

From the S2 if possible.