• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

FORUMS

joe doc

Question

The knowledgeable folks in these forums take on a lot of the frustration from other Roxio customers as a direct result of Roxio's failure in two key areas: First, Roxio markets and continues to sell (EMC 9 in my case) a product that is full of shortcomings. I have uninstalled and installed EMC 9 five times and still can't use CinePlayer or My DVD. Inability to supply the Product Activation Key continues to be the culprit. There are numerous other shortcomings documented every day here in these forums too numerous to mention. Aside from Activation issues, it seems that many of the same problems exist in EMC 10.

The second area is what I will loosely call "Technical Support". My experience, going back to EMC 5 with Tech Support has been an exercise in total frustration. I can honestly state that I have NEVER, that's NEVER gotten a useful response to ANY, thats ANY problem I've encountered with the software. EVERY, that's EVERY response has consisted of two patrs: 1-Uninstall the software along with Microsoft Clean Unsinstaller, shut down AntiVirus, Firewalls, etc. You know the routine. 2-Then reinstall. They never ask probing questions to get to the root cause of the problem. I suspect that it's because there is no solution available.

I'm sure and I hope that some nimble competitor sees the opportunity here to develop a product that works reasonably well out of the box and scores a knockout punch to Roxio that takes all of its market share. Forums are invaluable but I frankly don't know how the gurus can stand responding to the same pleas for help over and over again when the Tech Support group should be proficient in providing the CUSTOMER with solutions that work. Just my opinion.

7 answers to this question

We get use to the abuse. :P

Seriously, I understand most people feel negative about technical support from everyone in the biz and there is no excuse (except that no one wants to spend money on support). But, there has been some small changes with hopefully better results in the near future. The Knowledge Base is being updated to help those on the net and John is trying to work with support to keep them updated about what is going on in the real world.

Is it going to be perfect? Never but it can get better and hopefully will very soon.

I don't expect perfect but when a product is sold (Roxio has my money) it is not too much to expect useability. The Support people should know more that any guru in the Forums and should be able to provide solutions. Why should I as a burned customer purchase EMC 10 when EMC 9 is so dysfunctional.

Good news travels slowly but bad news travels very fast. Roxio has stolen from me and don't seem to be making much of an effort to do the right thing. That's what I mean about an opportunity for an agressive competitor. Come in and fill the void. Just my opinion.

We get use to the abuse. :P

Seriously, I understand most people feel negative about technical support from everyone in the biz and there is no excuse (except that no one wants to spend money on support). But, there has been some small changes with hopefully better results in the near future. The Knowledge Base is being updated to help those on the net and John is trying to work with support to keep them updated about what is going on in the real world.

Is it going to be perfect? Never but it can get better and hopefully will very soon.

I agree with you that bad news travels fast. I own a small company and you can have great service for years but mess up once and boom!, you're toast.

Are you still interested in fixing the problem? Maybe we can work together to try and get you in working order.

Yes, I'll have a beer with Beerman but I have to say, I've tried everything suggested and nothing has worked. I even bought CinePlayer separately, clean uninstalled EMC , newly installed CinePlayer and got the same results. Invalid Product Key.

I agree with you that bad news travels fast. I own a small company and you can have great service for years but mess up once and boom!, you're toast.

Are you still interested in fixing the problem? Maybe we can work together to try and get you in working order.

Yes, I'll have a beer with Beerman but I have to say, I've tried everything suggested and nothing has worked. I even bought CinePlayer separately, clean uninstalled EMC , newly installed CinePlayer and got the same results. Invalid Product Key.

I'm going to see if I can get you some attention (even if you don't buy the beers). In the meantime, save me the time of looking over your other posts and post all your computer information in case we have to start over.

Thanks for pointing it out to us Joe. I'll have your case looked into.

Edit

After looking into your case from today, it appears that the tech sent the correct information to you. If you have EMC 9 and Cineplayer is asking for a CD key, you need to reinstall. If this didnt work there are really only a couple of possibilities:

1) Make sure you followed all the instructions in the correct order. Can you confirm that the instructions we sent were followed exactly?

2) After removing EMC 9 and Cineplayer, install just Cineplayer and see what happens. This will at least eliminate some complexity.

3) There could possibly be something wrong with your system. Try creating a new Admin user account in Windows and test in that environment.

Thanks for pointing it out to us Joe. I'll have your case looked into.

Edit

After looking into your case from today, it appears that the tech sent the correct information to you. If you have EMC 9 and Cineplayer is asking for a CD key, you need to reinstall. If this didnt work there are really only a couple of possibilities:

1) Make sure you followed all the instructions in the correct order. Can you confirm that the instructions we sent were followed exactly?

2) After removing EMC 9 and Cineplayer, install just Cineplayer and see what happens. This will at least eliminate some complexity.

3) There could possibly be something wrong with your system. Try creating a new Admin user account in Windows and test in that environment.

I followed the uninstall/reinstall instructions FIVE TIMES. The computer is a few months old. I reformatted and reinstalled the software per Dell to get the system back to factory delivered status. I reinstalled EMC9...same result. I unistalled per instructions. Installed CinePlayer only...same result

I'm going to see if I can get you some attention (even if you don't buy the beers). In the meantime, save me the time of looking over your other posts and post all your computer information in case we have to start over.

Dell XPS210 Desktop

Windows Home Premium

1.80 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo

64 kb primary memory cache

2048 kb secondary memory cache

Bus Clock: 800 megahertz

Memory Modules: two 1024 MB

C Drive: 320 GB NTFS

Archived