Beware Motion Picture HD requirements

elduge

Question

I installed Motion Picture HD on my Mac. I was getting extract errors when trying to create a DVD. The error was "Quicktime Failure, -61". The requirements for running this program from Roxio are OS X 10.3 and Quicktime 7.3. The support chat group informed me that MD HD does not work with 7.3 there are bugs so uninstall 7.3 and reinstall 7.1 and it will work. What they didn't tell me initially is that to reinstall 7.1 you have to reinstall the ENTIRE OPERATING SYSTEM!!!!!! So now I have deleted 7.3, Motion Picture HD doesn't work with my Mac as Roxio said it would and I have no Quicktime viewer. To add insult to injury the chat guy stopped answering my questions and just signed off !! I don't know which is worse the product or the support.

14 answers to this question

Thanks for the info. When you say you "have not bothered to try any other kind of audio file," does this mean that you always tried this with a certain kind of audio file or did you also try with no audio file? What format is the audio file you are using?

If you can't get Motion Pictures to export with other audio formats then Motion Pictures 2.1.2 is unsupported in Quicktime 7.2 or later. You'll either have to use a Mac that is booted from an OS with an earlier version of Quicktime or not use Motion Pictures. This isn't as impossible as it sounds. Install an earlier version of your OS (possibly the one that came with your Mac) on an external hard drive and boot from that drive when you want to use Motion Pictures.

My opinion is to abandon Motion Pictures and use either Photo-to-Movie, Fotomagico or iMovie HD (iLife '06) to make a motion slide show with sound. Each is far superior to Motion Pictures except that Motion Pictures is the only one that can put multiple images on a single frame.

As I mentioned in a previous post, no audio file and it does not work. period.

Exactly what versions of Mac OS and Quicktime IS it suppose to and actually does work with Motion 2.1.2...that information would be the most helpful at this point as I am not interested in wasting more time in 'theoretical' or 'experimental' mode. I have done the work and I don't want to have to do it again in another program...it is basically that simple. I have it, I didn't break it, it should work, it doens't, Roxie knows this, and is therefore obligated to fix it. The fact that this conversation has not led to actually solving the issue is frustrating to say the least...why is this the case? It is very expensive to loose a customer, but more expensive to gain new ones.

From the documentation...

Installing The Software To use Toast you will need the following hardware and software:

■ Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4 processor or higher - G5

Mac OS X v10.3.9 or higher - not an older one

■ 300 MB hard disk space - terabyte

■ Up to 15 GB of temporary free disk space during usage (see above)

QuickTime 7 or higher 7.2

It would be assumed that this would apply to ALL software included in the package would it not?

When you say... "My opinion is to abandon Motion Pictures" you are saying ...in a nutshell...is that basically Roxio is only committed to misleading the consumer. Buy this product for way too much for just the Toast product, we will add in bugged software to make you just think you got a great package deal.

Lead people along for months acting like they are totally unaware of this and just at the mercy of the industry and sincerely working on something they in reality don't give a crap about. Or you have to buy the upgrade?

Whats the old saying "fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me!"

Does that about cover it? Oh and I see from your tag that you don't 'work' for Roxie so why do you care? and where is the person that does work for Roxie? My original question about the broken link...that referenced this question in the first place on a earlier thread was never addressed. ?

So where is the fix?

Also "You are currently receiving email notification of replies" is also not happening either...I have been just checking for updates.

Cheers

What is it that isn't working for you with Motion Pictures? What Mac and OS version and QuickTime version? What format is the source audio?

Hi there

Thanks for your quick response...

New harddrive...10.3.9 - quicktime 7.2 (read somewhere it was suppose to work) Had 7.3 on the old hd and it didn't work there. We just bought the laCie burner that came with T7 and did not have any reason to go up to 8.

unless there is a free upgrade...Read though that going to 8 often doesn't matter.

Tried it just now - had deleted the audio file. Still same error message, we have tried all the N.A. 'Make Movie' burning variables - doesn't matter.

Suggestions? I have started with iPhoto as a back up but I prefer not to have to - MPHD has the overall look I was wanting.

Cheers

From the documentation...

Installing The Software To use Toast you will need the following hardware and software:

■ Macintosh computer with a PowerPC G4 processor or higher - G5

Mac OS X v10.3.9 or higher - not an older one

■ 300 MB hard disk space - terabyte

■ Up to 15 GB of temporary free disk space during usage (see above)

QuickTime 7 or higher 7.2

It would be assumed that this would apply to ALL software included in the package would it not?

with this logic, Motion Picture will be supported for life. When OS 11 and Quicktime 8 are released, Motion Picture should be updated if it is not compatible since OS 11 is certainly higher than 10.3.9 and Quicktime 8 is certainly higher than Quicktime 7.

Hi there

Thanks for your quick response...

New harddrive...10.3.9 - quicktime 7.2 (read somewhere it was suppose to work) Had 7.3 on the old hd and it didn't work there. We just bought the laCie burner that came with T7 and did not have any reason to go up to 8.

unless there is a free upgrade...Read though that going to 8 often doesn't matter.

Tried it just now - had deleted the audio file. Still same error message, we have tried all the N.A. 'Make Movie' burning variables - doesn't matter.

Suggestions? I have started with iPhoto as a back up but I prefer not to have to - MPHD has the overall look I was wanting.

Cheers

I'm still not clear exactly what isn't working and at what point that happens. I see from the Toast 7 update info that Motion Pictures 2.1.2 is the latest version with Toast 7. Is that the version you're using? If not, download the Toast 7 update that includes it in the download. Toast 8 updates include Motion Pictures 2.1.4 which Roxio says resolves problems with QuickTime 7.2 and 7.3. I don't know if this version is available with the Toast 7 updater.

As I understand your post something isn't working even when you don't add any audio file. Is that right? If it is related to an audio file have you tried different formats such as AIFF, AAC, Apple Lossless and MP3?

with this logic, Motion Picture will be supported for life. When OS 11 and Quicktime 8 are released, Motion Picture should be updated if it is not compatible since OS 11 is certainly higher than 10.3.9 and Quicktime 8 is certainly higher than Quicktime 7.

Agreed. This system requirement is clearly intended to refer to software available at the time of print.

I'm still not clear exactly what isn't working and at what point that happens. I see from the Toast 7 update info that Motion Pictures 2.1.2 is the latest version with Toast 7. Is that the version you're using? If not, download the Toast 7 update that includes it in the download. Toast 8 updates include Motion Pictures 2.1.4 which Roxio says resolves problems with QuickTime 7.2 and 7.3. I don't know if this version is available with the Toast 7 updater.

As I understand your post something isn't working even when you don't add any audio file. Is that right? If it is related to an audio file have you tried different formats such as AIFF, AAC, Apple Lossless and MP3?

Hi there

Sorry I did not reply sooner I was not notified via email you had responded.

We are using Toast 7.1.3 (this is with the update) MP 2.1.2 (v2.1.2)

When you are done and go to "Make Movie"

what ever choice is made to export it...ie choose whatever format is available Toast-iMovie-iDVD-Email-.Mac-Quicktime (don't have a .mac account ...maybe that one works?)

This message comes up...

A problem occurred during exporting. It is described as '*** QuickTime failure (-61, /Users/cmeyer/Developer/MP210/LQCommon/LQMovieExport.m, line 350)'.

or , ending... line 344 )' has come up.

But it has not ever completed a project. And I have not bothered to try any other kind of audio file.

I have tried to export with only one picture...still nada....so it is not the size of the file either.

Hi there

Sorry I did not reply sooner I was not notified via email you had responded.

We are using Toast 7.1.3 (this is with the update) MP 2.1.2 (v2.1.2)

When you are done and go to "Make Movie"

what ever choice is made to export it...ie choose whatever format is available Toast-iMovie-iDVD-Email-.Mac-Quicktime (don't have a .mac account ...maybe that one works?)

This message comes up...

A problem occurred during exporting. It is described as '*** QuickTime failure (-61, /Users/cmeyer/Developer/MP210/LQCommon/LQMovieExport.m, line 350)'.

or , ending... line 344 )' has come up.

But it has not ever completed a project. And I have not bothered to try any other kind of audio file.

I have tried to export with only one picture...still nada....so it is not the size of the file either.

Thanks for the info. When you say you "have not bothered to try any other kind of audio file," does this mean that you always tried this with a certain kind of audio file or did you also try with no audio file? What format is the audio file you are using?

If you can't get Motion Pictures to export with other audio formats then Motion Pictures 2.1.2 is unsupported in Quicktime 7.2 or later. You'll either have to use a Mac that is booted from an OS with an earlier version of Quicktime or not use Motion Pictures. This isn't as impossible as it sounds. Install an earlier version of your OS (possibly the one that came with your Mac) on an external hard drive and boot from that drive when you want to use Motion Pictures.

My opinion is to abandon Motion Pictures and use either Photo-to-Movie, Fotomagico or iMovie HD (iLife '06) to make a motion slide show with sound. Each is far superior to Motion Pictures except that Motion Pictures is the only one that can put multiple images on a single frame.

Oh and I see from your tag that you don't 'work' for Roxie so why do you care?

A question I keep asking myself. Actually I don't care, but I do try to can help if I can. This is supposed to be a user forum where we help each other solve problems but there are very few Toast users who pitch in. So I fill a void I'd prefer was filled my many others such as one sees at discussions.apple.com. If I didn't keep popping in there'd be a lot of posts here with zero replies. Hmm, I must care about that. Silly me.

Here was the exact response from Roxio on Support Chat when asked about a timeframe for the patch. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence not to mention rather unprofessional.

Steve: Then the only thing I can suggest is to wait until we have a patch availabe

Doug : timeframe?

Steve: Unknown, it will be posted on our web page when it is

Doug : will it be 1 week, 1 month, 1 year you must have some idea. If I cant get a dvd created in the next couple of weeks the program is no good to me

Steve: We have no idea, we don't write the software

Was this link the solving of the cmeyer - error? It doesn't work neither does MP HD - is there any fixes as yet?

Cheers

Renee

What is it that isn't working for you with Motion Pictures? What Mac and OS version and QuickTime version? What format is the source audio?

Archived