• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Tv Safe Zone

sable

Question

I am trying to burn a windows movie to DVD using MYDVD. I'm having trouble with the tv safe zone. I have tried resizing the images using adobe photoshop, and image cropper. However, it does not matter what size I make the files they still are not in the tv safe zone. I have resized images down to 2" high by 1" wide, and it still is outside the safe zone. No size seems to solve this problem. What setting changes am I'm missing? Any help would be great.

13 answers to this question

I am trying to burn a windows movie to DVD using MYDVD. I'm having trouble with the tv safe zone. I have tried resizing the images using adobe photoshop, and image cropper. However, it does not matter what size I make the files they still are not in the tv safe zone. I have resized images down to 2" high by 1" wide, and it still is outside the safe zone. No size seems to solve this problem. What setting changes am I'm missing? Any help would be great.

You should find this thread helpful and the suggested freeware utility in one of the posts.

Just thinking out loud here, but do you think it would be worth it to make a template of the Tv Overscan Area to use in the photo editing application? The reuseable template could provide a guideline to keep the important parts of the picture within the TV screen area, or even to show how much extra room the user has to play with where they could add embellishments, all while still within the photo editing program. It's the same result, just would add a visual representation while you are working in the photo app.

I just tried it (in Elements ... would take a little longer to try in PhotoSuite) and it seems to carry over to Videowave fine.

It doesn't get any easier than using Image Cropper. No template needed, and once to do a test to see what fits on your televison screen, you have the Safe Area size set, and you can batch to your heart's content, thereafter.

Perhaps we are misunderstanding your question.

You start off by saying that you are trying to burn a "windows movie" to a DVD. Does this mean that you made a movie using Windows Movie Maker? If you indeed do this, add the movie as an overlay to a color panel in the main track of VideoWave or what ever your Roxio video editor is.

You go on to say that you have resized the images, but that doesn't help. I am going to assume that you did not make a movie but just want the images to be inside the TV safe Zone.

First do not use MYDVD to build a slide show if you have the EMC suite. Use VideoWave. If you have the standalone version of MyDVD, what version? If you click on add slide show, do you get a slide show assistant or a windows that again says MyDVD? Where did you get the software?

Image Cropper should have worked as well as Photoshop. I'm going to pm you the instructions on how to do it with Photoshop Elements; if you have Photoshop, the steps will be similar.

You''ll have to start from scratch or replace every image in the slide show.

PM me if you want other directions for batch resizing. In any case remember that you are trying to resize the image on a background; not just making the image smaller for e.g. printing purposes.

Steve, I have photoshop, could you PM me those instructions also?

You start off by saying that you are trying to burn a "windows movie" to a DVD. Does this mean that you made a movie using Windows Movie Maker? If you indeed do this, add the movie as an overlay to a color panel in the main track of VideoWave or what ever your Roxio video editor is.

You go on to say that you have resized the images, but that doesn't help. I am going to assume that you did not make a movie but just want the images to be inside the TV safe Zone.

First do not use MYDVD to build a slide show if you have the EMC suite. Use VideoWave. If you have the standalone version of MyDVD, what version? If you click on add slide show, do you get a slide show assistant or a windows that again says MyDVD? Where did you get the software?

Image Cropper should have worked as well as Photoshop. I'm going to pm you the instructions on how to do it with Photoshop Elements; if you have Photoshop, the steps will be similar.

PM me if you want other directions for batch resizing. In any case remember that you are trying to resize the image on a background; not just making the image smaller for e.g. printing purposes.

I have suffered the same problem not knowing there was a work around. I would appreciate the instructions also. Thank you.

Here are the directions for Photoshop Elements; they should be similar for Photoshop.

Add the image then select resize. Then select scale. The controls near the top will change. Make sure the height and width are chained (restrained proportions) and type in 85%. Acknowledge and accept change.

You'll get a checkerboard pattern around the image. Select a foreground color that you want in around the image in the slide show. Most of this will be cut off but some will show in portrait images. Flood fill using the paint bucket tool on the checkerboard pattern.

Save the image under a new name.

I'll post instructions on how to do this in Photosuite. The method I use is an estimation one although there is probably a better way of doing it.

It doesn't get any easier than using Image Cropper. No template needed, and once to do a test to see what fits on your televison screen, you have the Safe Area size set, and you can batch to your heart's content, thereafter.

I agree, Bruce. Patty's and Steve's posts got me thinking about those who like to do this part of the editing process in a photo-editing application, and that was my thinking. For a while I was using textured papers for the backgrounds, as well as some radial gradients or a theme of some sort. These are fairly easily accomplished in the photo editing apps, but do take more time. I'm going through a motion background phase right now :)

I've looked at that thread, and tried the freeware Image Cropper. It didn't help. I still have the same problem.

In Image Cropper, bring in all of the pictures that you want to crop. Select 4:3 Aspect Ratio at lower part of screen. Then, click on the Batch icon above.

Then, click on More Options, and on Safe Area Size, select 80%. Then, click on Show Safe Area and Fit Selection to Safe Area.

Down below, you can change the Filename Suffix to whatever you want the name to be, after the existing name.

Make sure the other settings down there are what you want, then go back to More Options, and click on Batch Save.

Just thinking out loud here, but do you think it would be worth it to make a template of the Tv Overscan Area to use in the photo editing application? The reuseable template could provide a guideline to keep the important parts of the picture within the TV screen area, or even to show how much extra room the user has to play with where they could add embellishments, all while still within the photo editing program. It's the same result, just would add a visual representation while you are working in the photo app.

I just tried it (in Elements ... would take a little longer to try in PhotoSuite) and it seems to carry over to Videowave fine.

How did you get the template showing the TV save zone? Doesn't the size depend on the display? That would be a great idea for Photosuite. I usually just guess on size there but it usually turns out close.

With Image Cropper and Multiple Image Resizer, I don't think that a template is usable.

The following was copied from an old post about Multiple Image Resizer:

Of particular interest for people doing slide shows and who are having trouble with the TV save zone, there is one called "Multiple Image Resizer. Like Image Cropper this also has the same capability of multiple image resizing. It requires net framework 2 or 3.

To give anyone who want to try it a head start, for images that are in landscape, apply this setting:

Landscape: put about a 125 pixel border around the image.

For portrait, as a starter, put a top and bottom border of about 350 and a left and right border of about 1000 pixels. Since not all images are the same, you may have to play with this a bit.

Do not use any other processing option.

Remember to save the files with either a prefix or suffix to identify it from the original. Use that processed image in Video Wave; all of the image should be inside the TV safe zone. You can play around with the 125 pixel border by going down slightly but for this discussion it is good enough.

With at least 4 ways of getting images into the TV safe zone, including two that will do batch, there should be enough options for anyone. :rolleyes:

Photosuite

My process for getting an image into the TV safe zone using Photosuite is less scientific. It takes a little bit of guess work and some experience. Here is what I do.

1) Create a new canvas using the top menu; landscape, 8 by 10 (I don't think this matters.) and color it.

2) Open an image and copy it.

3) Bring up the canvas and paste the image on the canvas.

4) Drag the size of the image to about the correct size about 85% of the canvas you chose..

5) Use the tools/position tab to center the image.

6) Save the image and use that in VideoWave

Archived