• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Control Disc View

DrMaybe

Question

I had been using Custom Hybrid to make a disc with separate sections for Mac and PC, but my client now wants the Mac side to use a symbolic link to the Applications folder for users to drag the content into... and I've found that the symlink doesn't work in that format. It does work if I burn it using "Mac & PC", but I can't find any way to set up the Mac window so that the icons are where I want them (the content folder on the left, and the Applications symlink on the right, in the middle of the window).

In a Custom Hybrid, you just make a temporary partition and set up that window the way you want it, then choose that as your source for the Mac side; but in Mac & PC you just choose the files, the disc view, and the background image, so there's no way (that I can find) to determine how the window will look when you open it after burning.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

I had this problem when using Disk Utility to create the disk image from a pre-existing folder. However, if you use Toast to create an empty disk image at the size you need, and then copy the the folders you want to this image, you can arrange the folders exactly as you want them, and they will burn that way. For some reason, Toast 8 loses track of the DS store file from a Disk Utility image, but is just fine with its own image. May not work for everyone, but solved it for me. Never had this problem before until I tried to burn a 3.5GB disk hybrid disk.

I had this problem when using Disk Utility to create the disk image from a pre-existing folder. However, if you use Toast to create an empty disk image at the size you need, and then copy the the folders you want to this image, you can arrange the folders exactly as you want them, and they will burn that way. For some reason, Toast 8 loses track of the DS store file from a Disk Utility image, but is just fine with its own image. May not work for everyone, but solved it for me. Never had this problem before until I tried to burn a 3.5GB disk hybrid disk.

Hmm, but then aren't you stuck with the 2 GB size limit imposed by HFS (Toast doesn't use HFS+)? You can make an image >2 GB and turn off optimize-on-the-fly, but then Toast will give you an error that the volume needs to be optimized (ie reduced in size) before burning. I don't know, it seems it would much easier if they just beefed up the customization settings for the "Mac & PC" format setting. Are there any other applications around to achieve all the following:

- 4 GB hybrid Mac/PC format DVD

- Custom icons, disk window background on Mac side

- Custom icon view and layout on Mac side

Thanks.

Anyone have a solution for this issue? Burning a 4 GB+ DVD and can not use the custom hybrid format. Thanks. I assumed all the information I'm looking to keep with the burnt dvd (finder location of window, icon disk view, icon locations and size, etc.) would be stored in the first level of the disk as a .DS_Store, but apparently not. Perhaps Toast overrides the the .DS_Store containing customized settings from the source volume with what's selected from "Disc View" in the Info pane of the disk name?

Archived