vee

LOST 4GB AFTER BURNING MP3

Question

as usual i copied a MP3 disc of which i have done many times with no problems...but last week i copied again and all was fine with the MP3 afterwards and i never save files but on checking my space i find 4GB has gone missing......ive checked and doublechecked on my pc but i cant find where this space has gone to and i can only presume that its laying dormant in an unknown file on my pc????

Why is this happening ? I want to get back this 4GB but where is it???

Please can somebody help me with the solutions...thankyou

18 answers to this question

as usual i copied a MP3 disc of which i have done many times with no problems...but last week i copied again and all was fine with the MP3 afterwards and i never save files but on checking my space i find 4GB has gone missing......ive checked and doublechecked on my pc but i cant find where this space has gone to and i can only presume that its laying dormant in an unknown file on my pc????

Why is this happening ? I want to get back this 4GB but where is it???

Please can somebody help me with the solutions...thankyou

Not sure where it went but you can gain some space by deleting some temp files. Go to My Computer, right click your drive and choose Properties. Then chose Disk Cleanup. It will search your drive for unneeded files so that you can remove them.

Just curious -

• You copied the mp3 file(s) using what application in which suite? (the fact this is in the Sonic Forum suggest it may be a Sonic suite)
  • You copied the file to where? The Hard Drive? A DVD/R? A DVD/RW? an external drive?
  • You are missing 4GB of space where? The Hard Drive? A DVD/R? or what?
  • What steps did you take when you made the copy?
Lynn

i have the normal sonic record which gives options for burning cds or mp3s.........i put the disc to be copied into the tray and press the red record button.....once its been copied the tray opens and asks for a copy disc which i always put in to record......i did this as per usual and then the tray opens up and hey presto a disc has been succesfully recorded......no problems no saved files(as usual) and thats it.....but this time something went seriously wrong with the record now because the files went somewhere........i am not a novice and ive cleaned up everything possible,i know the ins and outs of how to clean up 100%.......i went online and used google to find out if this has happened to others and YES it is continually happening and people are LOSING the same 4GB each time they noew use SONIC RECORD NOW.....

Any idea as to what name this file has hidden itself under......??

Just curious -
  • You copied the mp3 file(s) using what application in which suite? (the fact this is in the Sonic Forum suggest it may be a Sonic suite)
  • You copied the file to where? The Hard Drive? A DVD/R? A DVD/RW? an external drive?
  • You are missing 4GB of space where? The Hard Drive? A DVD/R? or what?
  • What steps did you take when you made the copy?
Lynn

thx Paul but this is not the answer as i have done everything to clean up....even technical and i cannot find these files.......they are NEVER saved to hard disc as they just record and go and thats about it.........

Not sure where it went but you can gain some space by deleting some temp files. Go to My Computer, right click your drive and choose Properties. Then chose Disk Cleanup. It will search your drive for unneeded files so that you can remove them.

i have the normal sonic record which gives options for burning cds or mp3s.........i put the disc to be copied into the tray and press the red record button.....once its been copied the tray opens and asks for a copy disc which i always put in to record......i did this as per usual and then the tray opens up and hey presto a disc has been succesfully recorded......no problems no saved files(as usual) and thats it.....but this time something went seriously wrong with the record now because the files went somewhere........i am not a novice and ive cleaned up everything possible,i know the ins and outs of how to clean up 100%.......i went online and used google to find out if this has happened to others and YES it is continually happening and people are LOSING the same 4GB each time they noew use SONIC RECORD NOW.....

Any idea as to what name this file has hidden itself under......??

thx Paul but this is not the answer as i have done everything to clean up....even technical and i cannot find these files.......they are NEVER saved to hard disc as they just record and go and thats about it.........

Click on any of the apps in your Sonic program, then go to Help>then About, and tell us what's there.

Edited by ogdens

Vee,

If you've done a standard install, Recordnow puts its temporary files into

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Sonic\Recordnow! where "username" is the name you use on your machine.

On my system they're saved as RN!E.TMP and similar. They're not flagged as system or hidden, and they should normally be deleted when you complete or cancel a project.

It would be worth going there in Windows Explorer and seeing if you can find and delete them, or searching for RN!*.* files.

You shouldn't rule out the possibility that your Windows system has has a Windows hiccup, especially if you seem to have lost space that can't be accounted for. In My Computer, right-click on your drive, select Properties > Tools, and error-check the drive.

Regards,

Brendon

Thx for your welcomed info Brendon........the ``SONIC RECORD NOW`` is`Version7 720B4OY` which was already installed on my HP pc when i bought it......i have never had any problems with recording cds or mp3s...i never save to files as there is no need for that,i simply copy and burn and thats all...

I have been into the `search` facility and tried what you have said all to no avail......my registration with SONIC was never originally made because i never had anyone or anything telling me to do that HOWEVER after this problem i did register to be able to post in this forum but there are no files in``c`` with my name showing .......i have also carried out a disk check prior to you informing me what i can do and the pc is fine....

I did go into google and ive found lots of others with exactly the same problem as ive got i.. missing 4GB after a burn...

Its been suggested to me that i delete SONIC from all programmes and reinstall HOWEVER as it is a part of the HP set-up it will NOT allow me to delete therefore i am at a total losss Brendon i really am...anyway you have been most hlpful and i thankyou kindly.

Vee,

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Sonic\Recordnow! where "username" is the name you use on your machine.

On my system they're saved as RN!E.TMP and similar. They're not flagged as system or hidden, and they should normally be deleted when you complete or cancel a project.

It would be worth going there in Windows Explorer and seeing if you can find and delete them, or searching for RN!*.* files.

You shouldn't rule out the possibility that your Windows system has has a Windows hiccup, especially if you seem to have lost space that can't be accounted for. In My Computer, right-click on your drive, select Properties > Tools, and error-check the drive.

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Vee,

Not a biggie, but there's no need to quote all my message, just any part(s) you want to reply to is fine :)

I don't think this problem has anything to do with registration. There are very few Roxio or Sonic programs where you must register.

You should do that hard drive filecheck I mentioned in case it's a file system error. If that doesn't fix the problem, I think that something has broken and prevented the temporary files from being deleted when they should have been.

You haven't mentioned what Operating system you're using, but it just struck me that you might be running into one of Microsoft's deadly defaults - your Windows might be hiding these things from you because of some default settings in Windows.

If you go into My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View you should open a box like this one. I'm guessing you may be running in XP, but other Windows operating systems are similar.

post-208-1195297268.jpg

I recommend you click the radio button "show hidden files and folders", and un-check "hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files" as I always do. Then click Apply and OK.

The first and third changes apply to this problem, and may uncloak the big temporary files you're wanting to delete. Once you can see them you can kill them. Would you please change these options and then see if you can see your 4 GB of garbage? You can always change them back afterwards if you want.

The second change is a useful one you might as well do while you're there. It stops the system from cloaking some virus files from you. If you get sent a virus file with a double-extension [e.g. filename.txt.exe] when the 'hide extensions' box is ticked, windows will tell you it is filename.txt which looks like a harmless text file. However if you click on it, the file will execute and you get the virus. It's not compulsory, but it's a useful change to make and you'll be able to see files with double-extensions if you get them.

Regards,

Brendon

I don't think this problem has anything to do with registration. There are very few Roxio or Sonic programs where you must register.

:D ok i had already carried out the file check and the pc is fine.....

I am using xp ...........

I did as you said but my FILE FOLDERS are slightly different to the diagram but i still clicked ``show hidden files and folders``and i did un-check ``hide extensions`` and the ``hide protected``...............

I then run disc clean up (and i am not sure if this is what i am expected to do) but anyway i did it and ive still got no luck in getting back the missing GB...

I have not yet carried out this `cloaking` `un-tick` yet as i am not sure what will happen? :unsure:

sorry Brendon but i meant to tell you that when i un-checked "Hide protected operating system files" and clicked `ok` the pc told me that these files are needed for operating the computer and cannt be accessed....sorry that part i could not carry out...

then run disc clean up (and i am not sure if this is what i am expected to do) but anyway i did it and ive still got no luck in getting back the missing GB...

Disk Cleanup will not delete files from your TEMP directory. Go to the location Brendon mentioned above and see if your 4GB is there. There should be no required files at that location. Also go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and delete everything there.

Edited by MarkR

thankyou for your reply..

I did not install Sonic Record Now as it was already built in to the HP pc...

my disc clean up does empty temp files and at present there is nothing in there at all........

I have tried everything believe me and i do not think the missing GBs are in the pc BUT maybe in sonic somewhere and ive looked at all the sonic files and no luck...

Disk Cleanup will not delete files from your TEMP directory. Go to the location Brendon mentioned above and see if your 4GB is there. There should be no required files at that location. Also go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp and delete everything there.

thankyou for your reply..

I did not install Sonic Record Now as it was already built in to the HP pc...

my disc clean up does empty temp files and at present there is nothing in there at all........

I have tried everything believe me and i do not think the missing GBs are in the pc BUT maybe in sonic somewhere and ive looked at all the sonic files and no luck...

I'm not certain what you mean when you say the missing 4GB is not on the PC. But, if you really want to find it, try using the Explorer search tool to list all files 4GB and larger.

- open Explorer (should be at My Computer, it not, select My Computer)

- select Search

- select All files and folders

- click on the arrow next to What size is it

- enter 3,500,000 in the Specify Size location (~3.5GB just to be safe)

- start the search -- it should be a small list

Edited by MarkR

Disc Cleanup will delete some files in the Temp folder depending on age. You can manually remove them from the Windows/Temp directory or use a program such as CCleaner.

vee, if you manually go to the Temp folder even after using the Disc Cleanup, you're still likely to see currently needed temp files. You may not be able to manually delete all of them depending on if there are needed for running programs. If space is a big problem, you could always set a scheduled task to remove temp files upon boot up but I don't see that as a necessity.

post-79-1195326619.jpg

ive been told that the 4GB could possibly be inside an unkown file belonging to SONIC and to delete Sonic and reinstall....however Sonic came with the pc and cannot be deleted...

I did as you said and i found ``no results`` for files of 5.5GB........i tried 3GB and less and there are literally hundreds to look trhough and some cannnot be opened as the source is unknown...

I'm not certain what you mean when you say the missing 4GB is not on the PC. But, if you really want to find it, try using the Explorer search tool to list all files 4GB and larger.

- select Search

brendon ive found these files RN!E.TMP(1_0) and RN!E.TMP(1_1) and they are both 2,097,120KB each...what do i do now? I clicked`open` and it started to download Record Now but took ages so i just cancelled it...but they`re still there and i think this is the hidden GBs lol....if i delete them both will it be ok or not? :rolleyes:

Vee,

Regards,

Brendon

Edited by vee

ive tried this many times and each time i use disc clean up there are never any temp files left when i re-check immediately...

Disc Cleanup will delete some files in the Temp folder depending on age. You can manually remove them from the Windows/Temp directory or use a program such as CCleaner.

vee, if you manually go to the Temp folder even after using the Disc Cleanup, you're still likely to see currently needed temp files. You may not be able to manually delete all of them depending on if there are needed for running programs. If space is a big problem, you could always set a scheduled task to remove temp files upon boot up but I don't see that as a necessity.

brendon ive found these files RN!E.TMP(1_0) and RN!E.TMP(1_1) and they are both 2,097,120KB each...what do i do now? I clicked`open` and it started to download Record Now but took ages so i just cancelled it...but they`re still there and i think this is the hidden GBs lol....if i delete them both will it be ok or not? :rolleyes:

Hi Vee,

Windows disk cleanup will delete files in the folders where IT puts temp files, and if other programs put temp files there too it will happily delete them too. However Record Now! puts them in a different place, so Windows disk cleanup didn't find them.

Now that you have found them, delete them. They're temporary files, and should have been deleted automatically by Record Now!

Regards,

Brendon

Mark ive done it and ive deleted the files and got back the missing GBs ....thx for your assistance and also Brendon`s help.........good guys are hard to find these days.........byeeeeeeee

- select Search

you know Brendon i think there are many files that shouldnt be in there...ive got a 80GB which is now 58.7GB and i have no idea why this is as ive no music files or pics saved infact i never save anything so ive no idea where it all goes to???

Same for disc `D` which has a capacity of 4.58GB and used space shows 3.81GB and free space shows 782MB....why is this as ive never saved files in there???

Hi Vee,

Windows disk cleanup will delete files in the folders where IT puts temp files, and if other programs put temp files there too it will happily delete them too. However Record Now! puts them in a different place, so Windows disk cleanup didn't find them.

Now that you have found them, delete them. They're temporary files, and should have been deleted automatically by Record Now!

Regards,

Brendon

i would like to say thankyou for your kind assistance in this matter which has now been resolved and i wish you well...bfn

Vee

Click on any of the apps in your Sonic program, then go to Help>then About, and tell us what's there.