• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

default.htm ... what's the deal?

Adrian71

Mods, sorry if this is in the wrong place. This is my first post.

So, I have Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. I just got a new laptop with XP Professional on it, and I wanted to install my program on it. So I went to the Roxio Software Updates page (http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/ecdc/software_updates.html) and tried to download the necessary updates and patches. But every time I try to download the .exe files there, I get prompted to save a file called "default.htm." And that file does nothing but take me to another Roxio page.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I've tried uninstalling ECDC5, reinstalling, even using a previous restore point to try to get rid of it completely and then start over again. No luck.

It worked fine when I tried it just now.

Do you have any pop-up blockers running? It should take you to a page where you need to enter your e-mail and forum password to be able to access the downloads

Do NOT try installing ECD5 unless you have the update ready (see pinned post at the top of this forum)

It worked fine when I tried it just now.

Do you have any pop-up blockers running? It should take you to a page where you need to enter your e-mail and forum password to be able to access the downloads

Do NOT try installing ECD5 unless you have the update ready (see pinned post at the top of this forum)

No pop-up blockers. I was prompted for my e-mail and password. I ran the Zap utility mentioned in the pinned post to try to get rid of any remnants from my previous install. But I still just get "default.htm" when I try to install the updates. Is there something else I'm not doing? I read over the pinned post, but I think I've done everything I'm supposed to.

The whole nine yards from the FREQUENT ANSWERS post -

Problems downloading update files: Temporaily turn off pop-up blockers (it is a pop-up), advertising filters (it has the word "promotion" in it), firewalls (including the Microsoft one, if you have it and it has been activated by a Microsoft update without your knowledge or consent). If that doesn't work, temporarily turn off the Virus-scanner. If that doesn't work, some people have been successful by trying a different browser, such as Firefox or Opera. Both can be downloaded free; Firefox is around 4.5MB, and Opera is a little over 3MB. (Digital Guru d_deweywright reports that when using Opera, it is necessary to enable the Referrer Logging, and actually restart the browser.)

Have you tried all of the suggestions?

Lynn

The whole nine yards from the FREQUENT ANSWERS post -

Problems downloading update files: Temporaily turn off pop-up blockers (it is a pop-up), advertising filters (it has the word "promotion" in it), firewalls (including the Microsoft one, if you have it and it has been activated by a Microsoft update without your knowledge or consent). If that doesn't work, temporarily turn off the Virus-scanner. If that doesn't work, some people have been successful by trying a different browser, such as Firefox or Opera. Both can be downloaded free; Firefox is around 4.5MB, and Opera is a little over 3MB. (Digital Guru d_deweywright reports that when using Opera, it is necessary to enable the Referrer Logging, and actually restart the browser.)

Have you tried all of the suggestions?

Lynn

I've looked over the pinned posts and the frequent questions/answers already. No pop-up blockers, no firewalls, no virus scanners. I didn't want to activate anything that might interfere with my installations.

I have no idea what's wrong. Looks like I'm screwed. I guess I'll be looking for a new piece of music-editing software, because this computer just refuses to let me install the updates for some reason.

I've looked over the pinned posts and the frequent questions/answers already. No pop-up blockers, no firewalls, no virus scanners. I didn't want to activate anything that might interfere with my installations.

I have no idea what's wrong. Looks like I'm screwed. I guess I'll be looking for a new piece of music-editing software, because this computer just refuses to let me install the updates for some reason.

Sounds like you haven't checked for advertising blockers (my Firewall has one), or if the WinXP Firewall has been turned on without your permission or knowledge (I had to turn it off several times, but I never turned it on), or tried an alternative browser (I have FireFox, altho unlike most of the regulars it isn't my preferred browser).

Then again, are you aware you can burn music CDs with WinPlayer 10 and above (it comes with WinXP), and burn data CDs with the built-in WinXP burning ability?

Lynn

Adrian,

Going to that address you quoted, you should see the big update to 5.3.5.10 offered. Clicking on "Download" should then take you to 'My Account' to log in.

Once you're logged in, My Account should show you the orange rectangular download button at the left side of this picture.

Clicking on that should bring up the dialog boxes shown, and if you're using Internet Explorer clicking on Save should start the download. If you're using Firefox click Save to disc and Save file.

post-208-1195335361.jpg

Where does your download process break down?

-not sent to my account?

-unable to log in?

-not shown the orange download button?

-clicking it doesn't bring the file download dialog?

-something else? (what, please)

Brendon

Archived