• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC 10 hangs when adding movies in MyDVD

revrick

Question

In MyDVD, when I try to add a new movie (or add an intro movie), the file selector opens, and I can navagate to the folder where the movie is located, but as soon as I click on a movie the program hangs, and I must end EMC 10 using the task manager.

A curious side note, I am able to open Windoes Explorer and drag a movie to the menu. However I haven't found a way to drag a movie to the intro movie.

I have updated to the latest version of DirectX, and my video drivers.

My setup

3000 mhz P4

Asus P4P800-VM motherboard

Intel 865 G chipset

ATI all in wonder Radeon

3 GB RAM

XP professional

I am getting pretty frustrated.

13 answers to this question

Revrick,

MyDVD seemed to have this problem when I first installed EMC10. I thought at first that it was hanging, but I tried leaving the PC alone to see what happened. After a very long delay (I think it was about 20 minutes) the program carried on OK. I then found that the delay was being caused because MyDVD was accessing a video folder on my Netgear NAS device, and taking an incredible time to do so. This NAS device is known to have performance problems. Moving the folder onto one of my local ATA drives speeded up things no end. It is still slow, but not in the same league. I guess that MyDVD is not coded in a way that handles disk access over a LAN very efficiently (probably, not unreasonable!).

The performance also seems to be affected by the type of video files in the folder. I had a fair number of H.264-encoded MP4 files in the folder, and myDVD seemed to be going through each file individually to check something before putting up the list.

Regards,

Jacob

It does seem to be accessing video files somewhere. I have many many video files on my 4 hard drives.

However I waited 8 hours and I got the same result- I had to close the program with task manager???

The only drive that was not defragged was only 7% fragmented.

I use AVG , spybot, adaware and windows defender spyware products and use them and update them quite frequently.

The all in wonder is probaby 5 years old, All in wonder radeon.

I find entries in system info error reporting like this:

12/3/2007 6:26 PM MsiInstaller Detection of product '{609F7AC8-C510-11D4-A788-009027ABA5D0}', feature 'PMStudio' failed during request for component '{5AC6310E-8718-4D1A-AA6A-26CD5101EA52}'

I find entries in system info error reporting like this:

12/3/2007 6:26 PM MsiInstaller Detection of product '{609F7AC8-C510-11D4-A788-009027ABA5D0}', feature 'PMStudio' failed during request for component '{5AC6310E-8718-4D1A-AA6A-26CD5101EA52}'

You might want to shut down ALL of your spyware products when installing any software, or using the software.

As far as I know dragging from Explorer to the Intro Movie is not a feature in EMC 9 or EMC 10. Why don't you simply use the Add Intro Movie option?

EMC also uses the C: drive for some of the temprary files locations unless you reset those locations.

BECAUSE IT HANGS WHEN YOU TRY TO DO SO, see the first message in the thread.

In MyDVD, when I try to add a new movie (or add an intro movie), the file selector opens, and I can navagate to the folder where the movie is located, but as soon as I click on a movie the program hangs, and I must end EMC 10 using the task manager.

A curious side note, I am able to open Windoes Explorer and drag a movie to the menu. However I haven't found a way to drag a movie to the intro movie.

I have updated to the latest version of DirectX, and my video drivers.

My setup

3000 mhz P4

Asus P4P800-VM motherboard

Intel 865 G chipset

ATI all in wonder Radeon

3 GB RAM

XP professional

I am getting pretty frustrated.

In MyDVD go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot near software. Try again.

What else do you have running while you are doing this? When did you defrag your hard drive the last time. How much free space do you have?

I did that, but I still have the same problem.

You stated, in a post above, that the livescan defragged the drives it deemed necessary. Defrag all of them, no matter what. Also, get rid of any malware/spyware (not the same as a virus) from your system, with free versions of AdAware or Spybot.

How old is that ATI All In Wonder card? What model is it?

Revrick,

MyDVD seemed to have this problem when I first installed EMC10. I thought at first that it was hanging, but I tried leaving the PC alone to see what happened. After a very long delay (I think it was about 20 minutes) the program carried on OK. I then found that the delay was being caused because MyDVD was accessing a video folder on my Netgear NAS device, and taking an incredible time to do so. This NAS device is known to have performance problems. Moving the folder onto one of my local ATA drives speeded up things no end. It is still slow, but not in the same league. I guess that MyDVD is not coded in a way that handles disk access over a LAN very efficiently (probably, not unreasonable!).

The performance also seems to be affected by the type of video files in the folder. I had a fair number of H.264-encoded MP4 files in the folder, and myDVD seemed to be going through each file individually to check something before putting up the list.

Regards,

Jacob

In MyDVD go to the top menu and select tools, options and put a dot near software. Try again.

What else do you have running while you are doing this? When did you defrag your hard drive the last time. How much free space do you have?

It was already using software rendering.

I am running no other applications, and I am only using the windows firewall. I just ranwindows live scdan and it defraged the drives it deemed necessary.

I have 4 hard drives 2 SATA and 2 IDE.

The F: drive is a 160 GB drive and is the system drive, 77 GB free.

My c: drive is a 200GB drive w only 3.5 GB free.

My G drive is a 80 GB drive w 24 GB free.

My I drive is a 200 GB drive w 42 GB free.

I used MyDVD today to compose (using the drag from windows explorer method described) and burned a DVD (without an intro movie), everything worked fine.

But there is no way to insert an intro movie by dragging from explorer.

It was already using software rendering.

I am running no other applications, and I am only using the windows firewall. I just ranwindows live scdan and it defraged the drives it deemed necessary.

I have 4 hard drives 2 SATA and 2 IDE.

The F: drive is a 160 GB drive and is the system drive, 77 GB free.

My c: drive is a 200GB drive w only 3.5 GB free.

My G drive is a 80 GB drive w 24 GB free.

My I drive is a 200 GB drive w 42 GB free.

I used MyDVD today to compose (using the drag from windows explorer method described) and burned a DVD (without an intro movie), everything worked fine.

But there is no way to insert an intro movie by dragging from explorer.

As far as I know dragging from Explorer to the Intro Movie is not a feature in EMC 9 or EMC 10. Why don't you simply use the Add Intro Movie option?

EMC also uses the C: drive for some of the temprary files locations unless you reset those locations.

You stated, in a post above, that the livescan defragged the drives it deemed necessary. Defrag all of them, no matter what. Also, get rid of any malware/spyware (not the same as a virus) from your system, with free versions of AdAware or Spybot.

How old is that ATI All In Wonder card? What model is it?

The only drive that was not defragged was only 7% fragmented.

I use AVG , spybot, adaware and windows defender spyware products and use them and update them quite frequently.

The all in wonder is probaby 5 years old, All in wonder radeon.

Archived