CD Text in RecordNow 7.22

VFProd

Question

I am running RecordNow version 7.22 and want to burn CDs with CD Text. The help says that to do this I need to hit the CD Properties button, but no such button shows up. However, the help also says that some features are only available in the Deluxe version. Is this one of the features that is only available in the Deluxe version? If so, what do I need to upgrade to in order to be able to burn and write CD Text?

Thanks,

Jack

9 answers to this question

Brendon,

I heard back from Roxio and they suggest I upgrade to Easy Media Creator 10. However, while waiting for their response, I found out that my problem is not with burning my CD's but with Windows Media Player and iTunes reading them. It appears that neither of them read CD Text and this includes the song title. They appear to only look to freedb.org and of course, my custom CD is not listed there. I have found a couple of players (such as hacp and vuplayer) that show the song titles, so I know that I am burning them correctly.

I have included a listing of all the songs on the CD with each one that I am burning, but when the kids pop them into their computers and open them in Windows Media Player or iTunes, all that will show up are Track xx.

I appreciate your help on this.

Jack

Hello Jack,

The instructions aren't very good, are they. :)

Just above the burn button is a row of buttons which only show when you have highlighted a music track. They are a cross, uparrow, downarrow, and questionmark. The question mark is the button they're calling the CD Properties button

If you click on that button you can enter or alter the names and some properties of the particular track, or the whole disc.

If your burner supports CD-Text, and you modify those things so you have the required discname, trackname, artistname etc entered how you want them and then click Burn, a disc will be written with the CD-Text included.

Please be aware that not many hardware or software players read and display your CD-Text. Windows Media Player certainly didn't when I tried it there. Many of these will search the Internet for your CD but won't display what you have put on the disc yourself.

A player which does display CD-Text is the HACP player, and that's what I use to check CD-Text. It's a very small, free player without nasties or ad-ware, and can be found all over. Here's a link to it at the free downloads center. It's tiny, less than 200KB.

Regards,

Brendon

Upgrading to EMC 10 will only help Sonic, not you. The CD-Text is written properly, but not read by the players.

It beats me why Micro$oft don't read text in their flagship media player - they're totally ignoring the technology. Perhaps they don't get a cut of royalties for it? (sigh) They're certainly quick enough to include other 'features' such as DRM.

Regards,

Brendon

Hello Jack,

The instructions aren't very good, are they. :)

Just above the burn button is a row of buttons which only show when you have highlighted a music track. They are a cross, uparrow, downarrow, and questionmark. The question mark is the button they're calling the CD Properties button

If you click on that button you can enter or alter the names and some properties of the particular track, or the whole disc.

If your burner supports CD-Text, and you modify those things so you have the required discname, trackname, artistname etc entered how you want them and then click Burn, a disc will be written with the CD-Text included.

Please be aware that not many hardware or software players read and display your CD-Text. Windows Media Player certainly didn't when I tried it there. Many of these will search the Internet for your CD but won't display what you have put on the disc yourself.

A player which does display CD-Text is the HACP player, and that's what I use to check CD-Text. It's a very small, free player without nasties or ad-ware, and can be found all over. Here's a link to it at the free downloads center. It's tiny, less than 200KB.

Regards,

Brendon

Brandon,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, when I highlight a track, I only get the Delete and the Up and Down arrows. I do not get the Question Mark. I wonder if this is related to the Version that I have. I think it came free when I bought my HP 630e DVD Writer. If that is the case, I need to find someone at Roxio who will tell me what version I need and then make sure my burner can write the text.

Thanks for the help. I will look into the HACP player - it will be good to have on hand.

Jack

Durn!!

If it doesn't show the question mark it might well be related to the version, Jack.

That question mark just opened up a dialog where you can edit the details attached to the track, to change them from defaults such as the MP3 filename and suchlike. You may be able to have the software check the Internet for the CD, in which case it might use the right names when burning.

There was nothing within that dialog which had to be ticked to enable CD-Text, so if you've written a CD it would pay you to check with the HACP player and see if any CD-Text got written even though you couldn't edit those fields.

As far as Roxio software goes, all the Easy CD Creator line back at least as far as version 4 can write CD-Text if the burner supports it. I'm a bit surprised (but I guess I shouldn't be) to hear that a Sonic lite version won't do that.

I'm sorry I can't say more about the version you have, but I haven't been able to get my paws on a copy of that yet, and I refuse to join the few folk here who advise on software they've never used.

Regards,

Brendon

Archived