• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Add Chapter Titles to Existing DVD

jkay510

Question

12 answers to this question

I an a new user and would like to:

1. Copy home movie DVD to my PC

2. Add Titles/Buttons...

3. Burn new image back to a DVD

Is this possible with Roxio Media Creator' 9?

Do you already own EMC 9?

There is a lot of help but it is spread all around. Roxio has some tutorials, help files and knowledge base articles. Go to the Support Sections of the Roxio home page.

There is also a lot of information in the Tips and Tricks area of the EMC 9 section of this forum. Look at the one about "one way of doing it" to start.

As for getting the movies off the DVD, simply copy the VOB files from the DVD to your computer. You should be able to add the VOB file directly to VideoWave for editing. You can do all at once or make separate projects for different sections of the VOB file. Editing the VOB files do not change the originals so you can use them multiple times as long as you do not save the project with the same name as the VOB files (overwrite) Unlikely but possible with mpg files.

I guess I've been rather frustrated with the Roxio software that was pre-loaded by Dell.

My simple (or so I thought) need was to load my home movies from DVD's and add titles/buttons at key points then burn back to DVD.

Would you say Roxio EMC 10 is a good direction to go in consideration of the above?

Yes EMC 10 is as good as any but you might was well knuckle down to the fact that Video Editing in far from "Simple" and unless you are willing to put forth some effort to learn complex software you will be disappointed!

I guess I've been rather frustrated with the Roxio software that was pre-loaded by Dell.

My simple (or so I thought) need was to load my home movies from DVD's and add titles/buttons at key points then burn back to DVD.

Would you say Roxio EMC 10 is a good direction to go in consideration of the above?

Did you notice that there is a free trial of EMC 9. You can download it and try it. If you like it, you can get EMC 10.

Do you have a copy of the DE that you have or an image where you can install it. I'm not sure if your version of DE will work happily with the full version of EMC 9 but it should.

I looked at that program that you thought about but I don't thnk it is right for a beginner. They let you do anything perhaps too much leeway. Also, you may have to buy some additional software to be complete - like the codecs and a video editing program. I really couldn't tell. I think it is best used for authoring DVDs. It is not a full service video editing and authoring program. I got this information from browsing their web site so I may have misunderstood some of the information.

The Roxio software came with my new Dell PC. Following are 'About This Software' contents:

Roxio Creator DE

Version: 9.0.116

Build: 901B16M, DL2

Serial Number: DZ-2M9X6-F2CNG-0S08G

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2006

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 3.2.52a, 99

Module Name: Roxio Core

Version: 3.3.0

Build: 331B17F, DLD

Module Name: Roxio Creator Audio

Build: 330B49G, DLD

Module Name: Roxio Creator Copy

Build: 330B45C, DLD

Module Name: Roxio Creator Data

Build: 330B45D, DLD

Module Name: Roxio Creator Tools

Build: 330B40C, DLE

Under 'Applications' tab I only get 'MyDVD.

To date, the only way I can find to Import files is via the Photo Option (Movie Option doesn't work). I can Import VOB files and they end up with a VOB File Extension on my PC.

While I am reasonable computer literate, this software is far from intuitive for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

John K

The Roxio software came with my new Dell PC. Following are 'About This Software' contents:

Roxio Creator DE

Version: 9.0.116

Build: 901B16M, DL2

Serial Number: DZ-2M9X6-F2CNG-0S08G

Under 'Applications' tab I only get 'MyDVD.

To date, the only way I can find to Import files is via the Photo Option (Movie Option doesn't work). I can Import VOB files and they end up with a VOB File Extension on my PC.

While I am reasonable computer literate, this software is far from intuitive for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

John K

John, The DE means Dell Edition so it is a limited teaser version of the program. It may be as old as what would be EMC 8 so a lot of things probably have changed in the newer versions.

Don't import, just use Windows to copy the VOB files to your hard drive. See if your version of MyDVD will accept them as is. If it as old as I think, MyDVD won't accept them as is. Read more.

If MyDVD won't accept them as is, rename the extension to mpg as I suggested in my earlier reply. Since you are computer literate, I won't have to tell you about hidden extensions and proper renaming of the extension

As mpg files, MyDVD will accept them and you can edit them as necessary.Go to the Tips and Tricks area of EMC 9 and read the post about "One way of doing it". Go about half way down and you'll see the section about MyDVD.

Why do I think that I already posted most of this information before?

Did you notice that there is a free trial of EMC 9. You can download it and try it. If you like it, you can get EMC 10.

Do you have a copy of the DE that you have or an image where you can install it. I'm not sure if your version of DE will work happily with the full version of EMC 9 but it should.

I looked at that program that you thought about but I don't thnk it is right for a beginner. They let you do anything perhaps too much leeway. Also, you may have to buy some additional software to be complete - like the codecs and a video editing program. I really couldn't tell. I think it is best used for authoring DVDs. It is not a full service video editing and authoring program. I got this information from browsing their web site so I may have misunderstood some of the information.

You are right about DVDlab. It is a DVD authouring program and also costs 2 to 3 times what EMC 10 costs. A friend of mine has it and it is much more diffucult to learn then EMC. It of course has many more features then EMC but editing video is not one of them. It definitely is not a beginners program

Do you already own EMC 9?

There is a lot of help but it is spread all around. Roxio has some tutorials, help files and knowledge base articles. Go to the Support Sections of the Roxio home page.

There is also a lot of information in the Tips and Tricks area of the EMC 9 section of this forum. Look at the one about "one way of doing it" to start.

As for getting the movies off the DVD, simply copy the VOB files from the DVD to your computer. You should be able to add the VOB file directly to VideoWave for editing. You can do all at once or make separate projects for different sections of the VOB file. Editing the VOB files do not change the originals so you can use them multiple times as long as you do not save the project with the same name as the VOB files (overwrite) Unlikely but possible with mpg files.

I am able to copy the DVD which then gives me VOB and IFO files.

Don't know what VideoWave is. What do I do next?

I am able to copy the DVD which then gives me VOB and IFO files.

Don't know what VideoWave is. What do I do next?

VideoWave is the video editing application in Easy Media Creator. If you can't find it under the applications list on the Home page, you do not have EMC 9. Where did you get the program? If it is not EMC 9, you have a cut down version and may not be able to do any or all the following.

If you have MyDVD, add the VOB video files to the menu via "Add new movie". Once you add it, you can double click on it and edit it. You can rename it. If you select the right menu style, you can have buttons and/or text.

If you can't add the VOB files, you may have to use Windows to change the extension from VOB to mpg. Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files extensions or this won't work. You will end up with files named (MovieX).mpg.vob.

You may have to add the VOB files several times to the menu in order to break it into separate movies or you can just select create chapters and make chapters where you want.

Movies return to the home menu after playing; chapters continue on the the end before returning to the menu regardless of which chapter you choose.

How much computer experience do you have, I don't want to talk down to you nor do I want to assume you know what I'm taking about - e.g. Change the file extension.

Archived