CD Audio conversion

Modus Op

Question

In my previus version of Toast (6.1 Lite) audio files were not converted to AIFF and deposited on my hard drive unless I specifically exported them. This allowed me to burn a CD of an audio disk without the long wait for the AIFF conversion as long as I had 2 optical drives, one for reading and one for writing.

Other times I used to drag the files to Toast and listen to them before deciding which ones to burn, or export and then burn.

This wait is killing me, but I don't see a preference setting to make the AIFF conversion optional. Is there a way to do so? (I'm using 8.1) Or do I have to keep an older version of Toast around to do this... (if so, I'm wishing I hadn't upgraded).

5 answers to this question

Thanks for your replies. I wondered about that too (the new features possibly causing this change). For me it amounts to a downgrade and I doubt I'll keep the app on my drive if I have to retain the old one too. The new features are not attractive to me in light of this issue. So apparently I wasted my money and time. Does the license allow me to wipe the app off my drive and sell the disk and manual?

I've been a Toast user for 11 years. Do you know if there's a way to let Roxio know that this is a deal breaker for some users? Do they monitor these forums? Do they care?

Thanks again

Roxio folks post here so I presume they browse the posts. I don't expect there will be any changes in this function in the future, however. I'm wondering if there is another third-party application that is good for compiling tracks from multiple audio CDs to a new audio CD.

I'm not an expert on the license. If you already registered the software it may be difficult for another user to register it. You probably should contact Roxio's support. Still, if you wanted to compile different tracks from live concert CDs (or downloads) the track trimming and cross fades are wonderful to have.

So what you are doing is adding tracks from one audio CD to Toast for burning to another audio CD. And you're not just wanting to copy the entire source CD (or you would use the Copy window). What you want is for Toast to not access the files on the source CD until you initiate the burning of the new CD. However, Toast always extracts AIFF files from the source CD when adding them to the Audio window. Do I have this all correct?

If so, there isn't any way to prevent Toast from writing the AIFF files when you add them to the Audio window from an audio CD source. That's just how it works.

So what you are doing is adding tracks from one audio CD to Toast for burning to another audio CD. And you're not just wanting to copy the entire source CD (or you would use the Copy window). What you want is for Toast to not access the files on the source CD until you initiate the burning of the new CD. However, Toast always extracts AIFF files from the source CD when adding them to the Audio window. Do I have this all correct?

If so, there isn't any way to prevent Toast from writing the AIFF files when you add them to the Audio window from an audio CD source. That's just how it works.

You understand my question correctly. I'm quite sure that Toast 5 and 6 allowed me to do this. If those versions were converting the files to AIFF before I clicked on the Export button they were doing it much faster than Toast 8 does it now. But I don't thinkthey did because when I clicked the Export button in 5 & 6 it took awhile for the export (i.e. conversion to AIFF, I'm assuming) to occur, about as long as it takes to just add tracks to the content window in version 8.

So has Roxio made a change to how Toast behaves in this regard? If so, I would prefer to have control over this, as I don't want to wait for the AIFF conversion unless I really need to have the file on my hard disk.

You understand my question correctly. I'm quite sure that Toast 5 and 6 allowed me to do this. If those versions were converting the files to AIFF before I clicked on the Export button they were doing it much faster than Toast 8 does it now. But I don't thinkthey did because when I clicked the Export button in 5 & 6 it took awhile for the export (i.e. conversion to AIFF, I'm assuming) to occur, about as long as it takes to just add tracks to the content window in version 8.

So has Roxio made a change to how Toast behaves in this regard? If so, I would prefer to have control over this, as I don't want to wait for the AIFF conversion unless I really need to have the file on my hard disk.

Yes I think this has changed. It probably is because of all the audio manipulation features added to Toast 8 including the normalizing feature. This version apparently needs the files at hand rather than on disc. I can't think of a way to avoid it other than to use an earlier version of Toast for this purpose.

Yes I think this has changed. It probably is because of all the audio manipulation features added to Toast 8 including the normalizing feature. This version apparently needs the files at hand rather than on disc. I can't think of a way to avoid it other than to use an earlier version of Toast for this purpose.

Thanks for your replies. I wondered about that too (the new features possibly causing this change). For me it amounts to a downgrade and I doubt I'll keep the app on my drive if I have to retain the old one too. The new features are not attractive to me in light of this issue. So apparently I wasted my money and time. Does the license allow me to wipe the app off my drive and sell the disk and manual?

I've been a Toast user for 11 years. Do you know if there's a way to let Roxio know that this is a deal breaker for some users? Do they monitor these forums? Do they care?

Thanks again

Archived