Look! Another awesome EMC10 won't install thread

tomX

Question

Problem: I'm having several errors after installing EMC10, and basically none of the apps work, most don't launch. I get errors on boot as well. See below for super cool and real life like exciting error messages.

Environment:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Dell DM051

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3191 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 1/8/2007

Total Physical Memory 3,069.53 MB

Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)

RADEON X600 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)

I did everything in this Clean Vista install support doc, TWICE.

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000127CR

I tried the steps described in the community support forum as well:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=27807

For fun, as if buying a $100 app that doesn't even install isn't fun enough,

I tried this to solve the skin error when launching myDVD:

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/MyDVD/000003MD?set-locale=en

Errors:

In total I've made three attempts at installing the software, all to no avail. I got a error that I stepped over quickly by accident on first attempt, but install proceeded all the way through prompting me to reboot. Then it was nothing but a barrage of error messages.

I went through the above support doc and followed it precisely to do CLEAN VISTA INSTALL, double checking that I deleted registry keys, files were deleted, scoured the c: drive for anything roxio or sonic related and removed it using dir /s from the root after I removed what was mentioned in the support doc AND with the unsupported removal tool on the third attempt. I also disabled all Roxio services before uninstalling and manually deleted them from the registry (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\) after I was done uninstalling everything, as I noticed they were left behind by all uninstallers.

Before installing, I stopped all services and disabled my anti-virus software booting bare bones with just MS services loaded on the third attempt to install. After each CLEAN install attempt I get the same error messages as before and the main apps like Creator and myDVD won't launch.

Here are the error messages I see:

1st on boot I get a 'MenuSeparator.png' cannot be found error:

menusep.jpg

Followed by runtime error:

runtimeerr2.jpg

Not to be outdone by the Roxio App Mod Tray app failure:

RoxMMtrayAppmod.jpg

Then when I finally boot and try to launch and EMC10 app, like Creator, OUCH!

DragonEngine.jpg

Roxio unleashes a mythical medievil beast of lameness to scrotch my desktop.

Or myDVD:

errorskin.jpg

I'm throughly frustrated at this point, as I've owned the software for well over a week and can't even get anything to work. Is there anything else I can try, and please realize, I have tried EVERYTHING PRECISELY in the above mentioned support docs and the other topics I've cited in this post on this issue.

Worthy of note, I have no problems with installing other apps. I did have a botched attempt at installing Creator 9 a couple months back. I thought I had successfully removed all the garbage (using the above mention support doc 127CR). I'm sure why I'm having so many problems is left over EMC9. I installed EMC10 to my Vista Ultimate laptop just fine just to verify nothing was wrong with my install DVD.

I pretty much forsee my only option at this point is to clean install Vista or return EMC10. Guess which alternative I'm leaning towards?

8 answers to this question

I'm sorry but I'm not able to offer any help for you. However, I'm curious about your statement that you feel it's left over pieces from EMC9. What version of EMC9 did you have installed? Was Drag to Disk part of that installation? I ask because from a quick search of your problems, those with EMC9 installs were asked to remove Drag to Disk. I would hope that a clean install would have removed everything and I'm with you, something leftover may very well be causing the problems you're having.

I'm in exactly the same boat. I've read though and tried all the helpful suggestions in this forum and followed Roxio instructions carefully. It still doesn't work. They should have written a routine that actually checks for all this misc Sonic/Roxio junk and removed it before attempting to load EMC10. They coded this, but they can't seem to track it down and root it out. This is an ongoing issue going back several versions.

I was mearly making an assumption that I had some EMC9 stuff laying around.

I did actually do the full uninstall of EMC9 months previous to this install, according to the support document. I had foolishly purchased EMC9 when I heard it was Vista compatible, and it never installed successfully as well. So after two attempts at a clean install with EMC9 I returned it.

Also worthy of note, I did uninstall the "EMC 10 Content" as well before doing the clean reinstall.

You may want to try JV16 Power Tools (trial is free) and double check that you have indeed removed all of the Roxio and Sonic entries. There are multiple registry cleaners that you can try for free to see if everything has been removed. I would try at least two different products, maybe even three.

I don't know what version of EMC 9 that you had tried to run under VISTA but I have installed EMC 9.1 rev c as a complete package and everything works reasonably well with the exception of a few minor bugs.

I was mearly making an assumption that I had some EMC9 stuff laying around.

I did actually do the full uninstall of EMC9 months previous to this install, according to the support document. I had foolishly purchased EMC9 when I heard it was Vista compatible, and it never installed successfully as well. So after two attempts at a clean install with EMC9 I returned it.

Also worthy of note, I did uninstall the "EMC 10 Content" as well before doing the clean reinstall.

If you want to give it another lash...

Do the clean up stuff again. Before installation, turn off the UAC in Vista.

I had all kinds of problems installing a piece of software. The UAC gave me no warnings so I didn't give it another thought. As a last ditch effort, I turned it off and that did the trick. The install completed and the app ran.

Donno why. I am used to the "allow or deny" so when I got nothing from the UAC, I didn't think that was the problem.

The software I refer to was not anything from Roxio but as I see it, you are out a couple of hundred dollars or so (V9 & V10) so one more try can't hurt.

tomX:---If you happen to try Barryware's suggestion about turning off the Vista "UAC" control, please get back with your information as to if it did any good. Usually, even if the UAC control is on, you would most likely just get the screen that advises " If you started this operation, please click on "Continue". And that works most of the time. Anyway, a reply if tried, would be appreciated for future information.

Frank...

I've exhausted my willingness to attempt to install this product. I have been back and forth with tech support, tried everything that was suggested to me, even using a registry cleaner to clear out every roxio and sonic reference, all to no avail.

At one point, after all the uninstall dance, I went to clear the registry and there were STILL 609 registry entries with the keyword "roxio." I mean seriously, why the hell does an application need so many registry entries?

Anyways, I gave up, took EMC10 back to Costco. Gotta love Costco's great return policy. They even take opened software. I learned my lesson with EMC9. Always buy Roxio products from Costco. Just in case. Just in case.

Archived