• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

audio/video sync

Geoff9412

Question

After transferring a TiVo selection and toasting it to DVD (or transferring to iTunes), the audio and video are not in sync. Doesn't happen when I burn a quicktime movie to a DVD. Earlier post suggested selecting NEVER in the Toast Custom Encorder window. No change. Any other suggestions? Using Toast 8.03.

Unfortunately, my tests using TivoDecode still result in sync problems.

Tinach, can you elaborate? What programs are you using after you use TiVo Decode on your TiVo files? I've encoded more than 20 TiVo files to iPod format using TiVo Decode, then iSquint (from the creator of VisualHub) and that solved my A/V sync problems without fail... I'm curious, that maybe there's something else contributing to this issue beyond Toast and TiVo, having to do with something in the Mac OS somehow. It's not likely, but maybe worth looking into.

After transferring a TiVo selection and toasting it to DVD (or transferring to iTunes), the audio and video are not in sync. Doesn't happen when I burn a quicktime movie to a DVD. Earlier post suggested selecting NEVER in the Toast Custom Encorder window. No change. Any other suggestions? Using Toast 8.03.

Check out the thread "TiVo Fall 2007 Update Apparently Breaks TivoToGo/Toast on the Mac". You are not alone. While it may not be universal, there seem to be a lot of us experiencing sync problems between audio and video.

Doug G.

I filed an issue on this. It seems that the audio is lagging the video by about a second or less, but enough to be annoying. In my case, the recordings came from a Pioneed 810H (DVD Recorder with TiVo) and the recordings were made in Basic Quality. The A/V sync shows in both the Toast Video Player as well as the rendered MPEG-4 file (made for iPod)

Edit -- I just handled a recording that came from a Series 2 (nightlight unit) instead, and the A/V Sync is fine in the Toast Video Player (also a Basic Quality recording), but the A/V sync is much worse in the rendered MPEG-4 file (using the iPod Fastest setting)

One other difference is that the one with the A/V sync issue came from a TiVo that's connected to a cable box and the one that is fine came from a TiVo that's directly connected to the cable line (no box)

I was able to burn DVD of TiVo shows downloaded from my Humax w/out the audio sync problem. But here is the catch....

1. Used TiVoDecode Manager to download the shows with the setting to automatically convert the shows to Quicktime MPEG-4 (Custom) with settings 640x480, Vid Bitrate 1800 kbps, Aud Bitrate 128 kbps.

2. Using Toast 8.03, selected DVD and added the .mp4 files.

3. With encoding set to Automatic, Toast proceeded to encode the files.

4. The resulting DVD was playable w/out audio sync problem on both my Mac and my Humax. The video quality was crappier but totally acceptable. At least I can now archive TiVo shows to DVD.

You're probably wondering why download, convert, and use Toast when my TiVo burns DVDs? Well, for some "unknown" reason, the Humax refuses to burn certain recordings to DVD (unacknowledged issue by TiVo -- sound familiar?).

For yucks, I downloaded the same shows again using TiVoDecode Manager but this time used the setting to convert the shows to MPEG-2 (native). Followed the same procedure above to create a DVD using the .mpeg files, and Toast produced a DVD with the audio sync problem.

==============================================

G4 Quicksilver w/ 2.0Ghz G4 upgrade, 1.5 GB RAM, Toast 8.03, Humax DT400

After installing Toast 8 and updating to Version 8.0.3, I completed around 10 Tivo Transfers. Later, when I went to view them in the Toast Video Player I immediately noticed that the audio and video were out-of-sync and therefore unwatchable. The Tivo Transfer feature is the reason why I purchased this product. I definitely regret this purchase.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use a Mac Pro Quad-core Intel, OS X 10.5.1, Tivo Series 3.

So transferring with TivoDecode seems to not have the same audio sync issues that Toast does. Running the file from TivoDecode through Visual Hub converts it to whatever you want, and even burns it to DVD.

So a piece of freeware combined with a $20 converter does exactly what I bought the $99 Toast for, and unlike Toast, actually works.

Check out the thread "TiVo Fall 2007 Update Apparently Breaks TivoToGo/Toast on the Mac". You are not alone. While it may not be universal, there seem to be a lot of us experiencing sync problems between audio and video.

Doug G.

Thanks. So, has anyone received feedback from Roxio? The lack of AV sync makes the recording unusable.

I used TIVODecode and Visual Hub and did not have an A/V sync problem.

I also tried burning a DVD using Toast it at a lower quality setting hoping a reduced frame rate might help. No help.

I like to combine 30 minute recordings on 1 DVD and I can't add a menu if I use Visual Hub.

I'd also like the product fixed that I paid for since this is the only reason I purchase the software. Seems to fail the implied warranties of merchantability and suitability for a particular purpose.

I just updated to 803 and got a new router so i could use tivo transfer instead of a browser to transfer shows, and now im gonna have audio problems?

i use tivo decode to change the .tivo format to .mpg..will i still be ok?

...but the auto transfers will be nice

am i suddenly gonna have problems?

i never use toast to encode decode tivo files...not yet...

:angry2:

I also bought Toast 8 for the purpose of doing TiVo transfers. I was able to encode and burn to DVD shows that were recorded in 2005 and 2006. However, the A/V syncing problems appeared when I burned a show recorded on 11-1-2007. Is this difference due to the TiVo upgrade? Then how come the raw *.tivo file plays fine on the Toast 8 Player, without any syncing issues.

I submitted a service ticket to Roxio, and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm not going to try the re-installation, since someone else said it didn't work to correct the A/V issue.

I have:

OS X 10.5.1 with 1 gig RAM on a Powerbook G4

Toast 8.0.3

Below is the response from Roxio support. I too tried the reinstall approach to no avail.

"Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

We have also received feedback through beta testing that a limited number of TiVo users are still experiencing audio and video synchronization issues. We are continuing to work on a resolution for this problem and will provide more information as it becomes available."

Limited number of Tivo users? Has anyone really managed to get it to work?

-sk

Thanks. So, has anyone received feedback from Roxio? The lack of AV sync makes the recording unusable.

FYI... Reived from ROXIO based on the problem description I posted.

Thank you for contacting Roxio Technical Support

Try uninstalling Toast and just installing the 8.0.3 update and see if that resolves your issue.

How to fully remove Toast 7 & 8 Titanium form your computer.

1. Delete the Toast 7 & 8 Titanium software folder located in the Applications folder.

2. Press Command-F and enter Roxio into the search field. Delete the Roxio folder from these two locations:

/Library/Application Support/

3. Press Command-F and enter 'Toast' into the search field.

Delete the 'Roxio Toast Prefs' file and the 'com.roxio.Toast.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

Delete the 'ToastIt.plugin' file from this location: /Library/Contextual Menu Items/

4. Press Command-F and enter 'Deja Vu' into the search field.

Delete the 'DejaVu.prefpane' file from this location: Library/PreferencePanes/

Delete the 'Deja Vu' folder from this location: Library/Application Support/

Delete the 'com.Propaganda.DejaVuPref.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

Delete the 'DejaVu.pkg' file from this location: Library/Receipts/

5. Press Command-F and enter 'DivX' into the search field.

Delete the 'DivX 6 Decoder.component' file from this location: Library/QuickTime/

Delete the 'DivX Decoder 6.0 Preferences' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

6. Press Command-F and enter 'CDS' into the search field.

Delete the 'CDSpinDoctor' folder from this location: Library/Application Support/

Delete the 'com.roxio.deepseasoftware.CDSpinDoctor.plist' file from this location: /Library/ Preferences/

Delete the 'widget-com.roxio.deepseasoftware.widgets.CDSpinDoctor.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

Delete the 'CDSD Recorder' file from this location: /Library/Widgets/

7. Open System Preferences, set CD & DVD preferences to use Apple products or to Ignore, then Restart After restart empty the trash if you have not done so.

IMPORTANT: Prior If you intend to reinstalling reinstall the software, it is recommended that you first run Disk Utility (located in Applications/Utilities folder) and Repair Disk Permissions on the hard disk.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://roxio.com/support

Greetings! I too have had the same issues with audio/video synch - mine worked for about 2 weeks and that gradually started to "drift" out of sync.

I opened a trouble ticket like others - looks like they have their standard spiel ready now - since my answer is the same as others:

A Roxio Agent has responded to your ticket! (#510179)

We have seen a small amount of users experinecing this with the Tivo HD programs.

We are currently looking into this issue.

Thanks for your patience during this time.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

I think I am going to add the web page of disgruntled to my next request for a trouble ticket update!

Anyone have any fixes yet?

Thanks!

Yes. Try to get your money back. There is a huge thread on this (TiVo Fall 2007 Update Apparently Breaks TivoToGo/Toast on the Mac) to which Roxio has not responded.

If Roxio acknowledged there is a problem and promised an update in some reasonable time frame, I'd suggest waiting, but they haven't given any indication that they intend to fix it. They've behaved like amateurs. It's really too bad because TiVoToGo would be really, really cool if it worked.

Update: After uninstall and re-install of Toast, recordings more often than not turning out OK. Latest did not and I'm not seeing a pattern, yet. Am checking "never" on reencoding and that seems to work better. Plays on Tivo Desktop windown just fine. It's transferring to iPod (best setting) or burning a DVD that the sync problem shows up.

I tried this simple :blink: un-install, and it did not resolve the issue for me.

Not a peep so far, either in here, or in the other places where they've sometimes commented in the past. (For instance, the Tivo Community over at http://www.tivocommunity.com sometimes gets information.)

I don't know if you got bit by the Tivo Transfer bug when the recent Tivo Fall Update was released, but we did eventually get some info from Roxio folk on that one leading up to the fix for that particular problem. Of course, Toast 8.0.3 was the fix we got, so while it solved the one problem, it created this new audio sync problem, so it was definitely a mixed blessing.

My concern at this point is that while the Tivo Transfer bug seemed very straightforward (it looked to me like a problem in parsing the program metadata properly), this new problem may be more difficult to analyze/diagnose/fix. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I suspect it may be tougher to track down and stomp. Its even possible that this problem is on TiVo's side of the fence, and given their track record for getting fixes out, I despair if that's the case.

Doug G.

It's been about two months since I complained to Roxio (see their response below) about audio/video sync problems in Tivo Tranfers. I still haven't seen any public acknowledgment or updates to address this problem. This is the worst experience I've ever had with a consumer software product.

A Roxio Agent has responded to your ticket!

We are currently looking into this issue that is happening to a small fraction of users.

Any updates will be posted on the website as they become available.

Roxio has an unconditional 30-day money back guarantee for all products purchased directly from Roxio via our online store or Inside Sales.

For refund requests please contact Digital River at 1-800-656-5443.

We appreciate your interest in Roxio products.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

I would strongly urge everyone experiencing this audio/video sync problem to contact Roxio Support, and file a trouble ticket. Since we're seeing no response from Roxio on this issue on this board, who knows to what extent they're aware of the bug. With support tickets filed, Roxio's management will be officially notified that a problem exists. This seemed to be a factor prompting them to address the original Tivo Transfer bug in 8.0.1.

Go to http://selfserve.roxio.com. You'll have to log in with an account as a registered user, but there's a link there that will let you set one up if you don't already have one. Try to give all the relevant facts you can think of - Mac setup, Tivo type, etc. Remember that they'll probably be wading through a lot of these, so save (for now) the diatribes. Just get them some data that might help them nail down the source of this bug. Maybe this will help them come up with a fix.

Doug G.

I opened a ticket for the same problem. Read from the bottom up for proper chronology.

Still not resolved!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description: Technical Support...Toast 8...TiVo Transfer

WebTicket

12/22/07 8:32 PM I ran disk permission repair, which I do on a regular basis before and after software installation or system updates.

Also, there is NO "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component" file in the library/quicktime folder.

I re-encoded the same project with the same results.

The audio lags behind the video almost 4 full seconds BOTH when I burn DVD's AND encode to iPod BEST.

In order to facilitate your further troubleshooting, I have attached what files ARE in my library/quicktime folder.

Thanks for your ongoing effort in troubleshooting my problem.

Walter

qtfoldercontents.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lvandervort

12/22/07 1:49 PM Thank you for Contacting Roxio Technical Support

There may be some problems with your permissions in OS X. Running the permissions repair utility should fix this. Here are the steps to do that:

Launch the Disk Utility, which can be found inside the //Applications/Utilities folder.

Go to the "First Aid" tab and run "Repair Disk Permissions" on your hard drive that OS X is installed on.

Open your hard drive and find the Library folder. Inside the library folder you will find a quicktime folder. Open the quicktime folder and look for "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component". If you have it drag it to the trash can and try re-encoding your projects

If the information provided does not resolve your issue simply update your webticket with a detailed explanation with the steps you have tried and any error messages you receive.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://support.roxio.com

Have you tried our online self-service tools?

RoxAnn & Knowledgebase - http://support.roxio.com

Discussion Groups - http://forums.support.roxio.com/

We are always looking for ways to improve so please click on the link below to complete our online support survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=gogk...2fyt0p0pg_3d_3d

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate the feedback

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WebTicket

12/21/07 3:18 PM I JUST purchased Toast 8 yesterday (8.0.3) and the audio is out of sync with the video BOTH when I burn DVD's AND encode to iPod BEST.

Hardware is Intel Mac Mini Core Duo, SuperDrive, 1GB Ram, OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, ALL OS and 3rd party software and drivers are up-to-date.

I would like it fixed or a refund of my $69. I will try a charge-back but since I used a debit card instead of credit card I probably won't get it.

The Tivo-related functions stated in the first line are the ONLY reason I bought the product and I have no use for it otherwise.

Thanks in advance for solving this problem OR giving me money back promptly.

Walter

The Tivo Transfer feature happens to be the sole reason why I purchased this product.

At this time I regret this $74.99 purchase.

This was my story too... punted and finally requested the refund yesterday before my 30 days ran out. I think this is the first time I have ever returned software, I really wanted it to work, but alas, I have a lovely but un-viewable 'coaster collection' of shows.

Now I am banking on Toast 9 as a surprise introduction at MacWorld. Normally when I expend so much effort for no payoff I would go running, but if the refund processes without a hitch, I'll give Roxio another shot. Here's to hoping.

Still not resolved!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issue Description: Technical Support...Toast 8...TiVo Transfer

WebTicket

12/22/07 8:32 PM I ran disk permission repair . . . there is NO "XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component"

<edit>

Walter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lvandervort

12/22/07 1:49 PM Thank you for Contacting Roxio Technical Support

Running the permissions repair utility should fix this. <edit>

Roxio Technical Support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WebTicket 12/21/07 3:18 PM

I JUST purchased Toast 8 yesterday (8.0.3) and the audio is out of sync with the video BOTH when I burn DVD's AND encode to iPod BEST. <edit>

Walter

Walter,

We've been tracking this problem here, and in the TivoCommunity forums since these problems cropped up in the Tivo Fall 2008 Update last September or so. Originally, there was a metadata issue that garbled the display in TivoToGo, and prevented Toast and Popcorn from encoding at all (encode would freeze at 0%). Roxio subsequently released the 8.0.3 update which fixed the encoding freeze, but revealed the audio sync problem in some fraction of the users. There are users reporting that they have no problems, but we've been unable to figure out why some installations work, and others don't.

The key thing to observe here is that Roxio Support is pulling your chain. There is no system tweak or reset that has been shown to have any effect on this problem. Roxio Support has a set list of suggestions they've been making to everyone (when they deign to comment at all), but as far as I'm concerned, they've made no attempt to demonstrate any of their suggestions make any difference what so ever to addressing the audio sync problem. Communications from higher level Roxio folk acknowledge this.

A few cryptic comments by Roxio folk in public and private have implied that a fix is in the works, but no one has publically stated when we might expect this to appear. One implication was that the primary delay is case testing to make sure they fix it in all instances and installations this time around - certainly, the fact that not everyone is suffering from the problem suggests that it was a lack of sufficient case testing in 8.0.3 that let this one slip through.

I don't know what to suggest to you with regards to your pursuit of a refund. Since Roxio insists on not commenting on when we might expect the fix, I cannot sit here and tell you in good faith that it will be 'soon'. I'd like to think it will be, but the deafening silence suggests I may be foolish in this hope. Even with all this public chatter speculating as to the exact nature of the problem, or what things might actually have some bearing on its causes or workarounds that might alieviate it, Roxio has chosen to remain silent, even though they could quickly and easily address our concerns if they so chose. Toast was a great solution until it broke, and I'm hanging around in the hope that it will be again. Since you're still in a period when you can ask for a refund, you may choose differently.

If you decide to hang out until the end of this particular ride, you may want to watch the threads where the bulk of the discussion on this topic have taken place:

Roxio Support Forum, TivoToGo for Mac

TiVo Fall 2007 Update Apparently Breaks TivoToGo/Toast on the Mac

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=28792

and

Tivo Community Forum, TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo

TiVo Fall 2007 Update Apparently Breaks TivoToGo/Toast on the Mac

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=369019

Hope we get something soon!

Doug G.

Logged a ticket. What shocked me is that they responded with a response to the DVD burning problems. Amazing. You would think that support engineers would know the difference between DVD burning and the audio/video streams being out of sync.

Surprisingly, the windows version has been completely unaffected by the fall tivo release. No problems burning to DVD. When converting to other formats, no a/v sync issues. It would be nice if Roxio would step up and communicate what the heck is going on. I'm okay if there are issues, but not acknowledging issue is unprofessional to say the least.

-sk

FYI... Reived from ROXIO based on the problem description I posted.

Try uninstalling Toast and just installing the 8.0.3 update and see if that resolves your issue.

How to fully remove Toast 7 & 8 Titanium form your computer.

1. Delete the Toast 7 & 8 Titanium software folder located in the Applications folder.

2. Press Command-F and enter Roxio into the search field. Delete the Roxio folder from these two locations:

3. Press Command-F and enter 'Toast' into the search field.

Delete the 'Roxio Toast Prefs' file and the 'com.roxio.Toast.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

Delete the 'ToastIt.plugin' file from this location: /Library/Contextual Menu Items/

4. Press Command-F and enter 'Deja Vu' into the search field.

Delete the 'DejaVu.prefpane' file from this location: Library/PreferencePanes/

Delete the 'Deja Vu' folder from this location: Library/Application Support/

Delete the 'com.Propaganda.DejaVuPref.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

Delete the 'DejaVu.pkg' file from this location: Library/Receipts/

5. Press Command-F and enter 'DivX' into the search field.

Delete the 'DivX 6 Decoder.component' file from this location: Library/QuickTime/

Delete the 'DivX Decoder 6.0 Preferences' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

6. Press Command-F and enter 'CDS' into the search field.

Delete the 'CDSpinDoctor' folder from this location: Library/Application Support/

Delete the 'com.roxio.deepseasoftware.CDSpinDoctor.plist' file from this location: /Library/ Preferences/

Delete the 'widget-com.roxio.deepseasoftware.widgets.CDSpinDoctor.plist' file from this location: /Library/Preferences/

Delete the 'CDSD Recorder' file from this location: /Library/Widgets/

7. Open System Preferences, set CD & DVD preferences to use Apple products or to Ignore, then Restart After restart empty the trash if you have not done so.

IMPORTANT: Prior If you intend to reinstalling reinstall the software, it is recommended that you first run Disk Utility (located in Applications/Utilities folder) and Repair Disk Permissions on the hard disk.

Regards,

Roxio Technical Support

http://roxio.com/support

Update: After uninstall and re-install of Toast, recordings more often than not turning out OK. Latest did not and I'm not seeing a pattern, yet. Am checking "never" on reencoding and that seems to work better. Plays on Tivo Desktop windown just fine. It's transferring to iPod (best setting) or burning a DVD that the sync problem shows up.

Archived