EMC10 and Norton One Button Checkup

SgtMonk

Question

:( I am a relatively savvy user.. wish I would have researched user opinions before buying this package from my warehouse membership store or from anyone for that matter! Replacing EMC9, installation was difficult to complete as the wizard did not successfully uninstall certain modules (update manager) of the previous program. After installation finished, program suite would not launch from desktop icon or individual program listings. Contacted Roxio support via email.. solution provided was a tedious, time-comsuming complete "clean install procedure" not for the faint of heart. It did seem to work allowing me to launch the program - once. I use Norton Systemworks and always run One Button Checkup (OBC) to keep the PC humming. OBC corrected registry "problems" and once again, EMC10 will not work! Online chat reveals that I will need to reinstall EMC10 every time after using OBC!! "OBC removes a registry key that EMC10 needs to function - we are working on a patch" If I could, I would return for a refund, as it is, I will refrain from using until they make it work correctly. Look at the forum comments at http://forums.support.roxio.com/ before taking this plunge!

11 answers to this question

Do you guys work for Roxio? There is nothing wrong with me posting in this forum and venting my frustration regarding a legitimate problem. It seems to have provided a solution for everyone. If Roxio had addressed my concern, I would not have posted in this forum. I have expressed my concerns directly to Roxio and it went nowhere; read the comments here and elsewhere. I was about to return the software, but considering that I finally got it to work and that I bill my time at several hundred dollars per hour, it hardly seems worth the effort.

This is certainly a problem between Symantec and Roxio. Regardless of who is at fault, it is unacceptable to have to perform a “clean install” for one missing registry entry. A simple install repair should be sufficient. Furthermore, it is unacceptable that Roxio (and Symantec) does not post a solution. My hope (by posting here) is that Roxio will fix their product. These are not the only problems with software.

The folks in these forums are users, just like you, unless they have a Roxio logo by their name. My hope is that Roxio and Symantec are talking to each other and trying to solve the issue.

:( I am a relatively savvy user.. wish I would have researched user opinions before buying this package from my warehouse membership store or from anyone for that matter! Replacing EMC9, installation was difficult to complete as the wizard did not successfully uninstall certain modules (update manager) of the previous program. After installation finished, program suite would not launch from desktop icon or individual program listings. Contacted Roxio support via email.. solution provided was a tedious, time-comsuming complete "clean install procedure" not for the faint of heart. It did seem to work allowing me to launch the program - once. I use Norton Systemworks and always run One Button Checkup (OBC) to keep the PC humming. OBC corrected registry "problems" and once again, EMC10 will not work! Online chat reveals that I will need to reinstall EMC10 every time after using OBC!! "OBC removes a registry key that EMC10 needs to function - we are working on a patch" If I could, I would return for a refund, as it is, I will refrain from using until they make it work correctly. Look at the forum comments at http://forums.support.roxio.com/ before taking this plunge!

The solution is easy. Run the registry check manually, and don't delete the key, shown in the following thread:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...st&p=166306

EMC 10 works quite well with the key left alone. Why Norton insists on removing it is only know to Symantec.

I have read this thread with interest as it seems the same thing must have happened to me. EMC 10 will not launch and I regularly use NSW 1 button check up. Its a shame one registry key cant be replaced with a patch or even by copy and paste.

So what is the fix?

Do I correctly conclude that a repair installation will not work...

Do I have to run a clean uninstall and reinstall, if so where are the instructions?

Also, what are the offending registry keys so I can configure Norton not to disturb them?

Kind Regards

Chris

I have read this thread with interest as it seems the same thing must have happened to me. EMC 10 will not launch and I regularly use NSW 1 button check up. Its a shame one registry key cant be replaced with a patch or even by copy and paste.

So what is the fix?

Do I correctly conclude that a repair installation will not work...

Do I have to run a clean uninstall and reinstall, if so where are the instructions?

Also, what are the offending registry keys so I can configure Norton not to disturb them?

Kind Regards

Chris

Click on the URL in Post #2 of this thread.

Thanks for the link. I uninstalled Media Creator 10 and performed a clean installation and this seems to have solved the issue.

However, I later realised that a quicker way to solve the problem would have been to undo the Norton System works repair history. This provision is accessed from the NSW control panel. Click on the repair for a particular date and select undo. As mentioned in the above thread NSW can also be configured not to delete the particular Roxio registry key in the future.

Kind Regards

Chris

I echo your message; I also use Symantec One Button Checkup and I had the same problems. Unfortunately, Roxio’s Tehcnical Support was useless and I had to diagnose the problems myself. After doing seven “clean installs” (at two hours each) and several repairs of Windows (due to NTLDR missing messages), I figured the problem out on my own. Symantec actually has something on their web site; apparently this has been a problem for several versions of Roxio’s software. Roxio’s only “solution” was to disable One Button Checkup (a popular program designed to protect my computer).

The solution is actually quite simple and it involves setting One Button Checkup to ignore two registry entries. To me, it is unacceptable that Roxio does not even have a write-up in their knowledge base; I could easily write simple instructions to correct the problem. Instead, Roxio gave me condescending responses that were completely unreasonable. The fact that repairing/reinstalling the installation does not replace missing registry entries and that a clean install is required tells me that Roxio does not care about solving the problem. The fact that they do not post a solution also tells me that they do not care about my time. It seems as though version 10 was released prematurely and it does not deliver what was promised.

Thanks for the link. I uninstalled Media Creator 10 and performed a clean installation and this seems to have solved the issue.

However, I later realised that a quicker way to solve the problem would have been to undo the Norton System works repair history. This provision is accessed from the NSW control panel. Click on the repair for a particular date and select undo. As mentioned in the above thread NSW can also be configured not to delete the particular Roxio registry key in the future.

Kind Regards

Chris

You can run Norton SystemWorks. Just have it ignore the registry entry, shown in the attached URL:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...st&p=166306

I echo your message; I also use Symantec One Button Checkup and I had the same problems. Unfortunately, Roxio’s Tehcnical Support was useless and I had to diagnose the problems myself. After doing seven “clean installs” (at two hours each) and several repairs of Windows (due to NTLDR missing messages), I figured the problem out on my own. Symantec actually has something on their web site; apparently this has been a problem for several versions of Roxio’s software. Roxio’s only “solution” was to disable One Button Checkup (a popular program designed to protect my computer).

The solution is actually quite simple and it involves setting One Button Checkup to ignore two registry entries. To me, it is unacceptable that Roxio does not even have a write-up in their knowledge base; I could easily write simple instructions to correct the problem. Instead, Roxio gave me condescending responses that were completely unreasonable. The fact that repairing/reinstalling the installation does not replace missing registry entries and that a clean install is required tells me that Roxio does not care about solving the problem. The fact that they do not post a solution also tells me that they do not care about my time. It seems as though version 10 was released prematurely and it does not deliver what was promised.

You might want to express your concerns, directly to Roxio instead of posting it here on the forums. If setting OBC to ignore the two (acutally one) registry entry is unacceptable, you might think about asking Roxio for a refund. ;)

Actually Brucve he'd be better expressing his feelings to Symantec - they seem to know what is causing it and how - what they are NOT doing is anything about it.

Oh and btw - OBC doesn't 'protect' anyone against anything

You might want to express your concerns, directly to Roxio instead of posting it here on the forums. If setting OBC to ignore the two (acutally one) registry entry is unacceptable, you might think about asking Roxio for a refund. ;)

Do you guys work for Roxio? There is nothing wrong with me posting in this forum and venting my frustration regarding a legitimate problem. It seems to have provided a solution for everyone. If Roxio had addressed my concern, I would not have posted in this forum. I have expressed my concerns directly to Roxio and it went nowhere; read the comments here and elsewhere. I was about to return the software, but considering that I finally got it to work and that I bill my time at several hundred dollars per hour, it hardly seems worth the effort.

This is certainly a problem between Symantec and Roxio. Regardless of who is at fault, it is unacceptable to have to perform a “clean install” for one missing registry entry. A simple install repair should be sufficient. Furthermore, it is unacceptable that Roxio (and Symantec) does not post a solution. My hope (by posting here) is that Roxio will fix their product. These are not the only problems with software.

No we don't work for Roxio, so there is nothing wrong with one of us posting a counter opinion, unless you are walking on water???

Roxio is a program, and you have another program (Norton) that goes into the Registry and deletes a valid entry causing Roxio to fail!

If you can't figure out the offending program from there…

Archived