psordude

Video Skips

Question

Hi there

I just installed Popcorn 3 on My Macbook, I copied a Dvd I made from my Tivo to Itunes but when I play it back the video skips. I contacted Roxio and they told me to update my Popcorn software, so I did but still have the same problem. Anybody else have a fix?

Thanks

16 answers to this question

Does it skip in the DVD player and on the Mac, or does it just skip when played on the DVD Player?

Neither. It only skips in the M4P file in itunes. DVD Player for the Mac is good and home DVD player is fine too.

On the iPod and in iTunes I lose about 3-5 seconds every few minutes.

I am having a video skip problem. I've tried copying and writing on several different burners and playing back on different players. When I burn an image disc it works fine but not when burning through the Disc-Video function which I need to combine multiple shows on one DVD. Any answers?

I am having a video skip problem. I've tried copying and writing on several different burners and playing back on different players. When I burn an image disc it works fine but not when burning through the Disc-Video function which I need to combine multiple shows on one DVD. Any answers?

So you're having the video skip problem on a video DVD that in which Popcorn multiplexed MPEG 2 files. Is that correct? What steps did you take to add the MPEG 2 files to Popcorn? What is the source for those MPEG 2 files? What are their specs?

So you're having the video skip problem on a video DVD that in which Popcorn multiplexed MPEG 2 files. Is that correct? What steps did you take to add the MPEG 2 files to Popcorn? What is the source for those MPEG 2 files? What are their specs?

The files are from the video_ts folder, not copy protected. I put the disc in, Popcorn recognizes it and displays a small video capture picture from the file in the media browser, I drag it into the content area, hit the record disc button, Popcorn multiplexes it, I burn it and the resultant disc plays about 5 sec then skips 5 sec etc. When I say skips I mean 5 seconds is removed like a really bad edit. When I save the file as a disc image and the burn that it is perfect. I work a community television station and we have a lot of half hour shows on individual dvd's. My task is to transfer multiple shows to to a single dvd with menus. I have transfered up to 5 shows to a disc and burned it and all the shows have skips. I have used multiple player/burners and played with the encoding options from fully automatic to tweaking each control. I think arrrg would sum up my mood right now. I wasted 30 discs already. Also the width or the burned area on the disc image disc is twice a wide as on the other for the same file size. Too much info?

Edited by nchands

The files are from the video_ts folder, not copy protected. I put the disc in, Popcorn recognizes it and displays a small video capture picture from the file in the media browser, I drag it into the content area, hit the record disc button, Popcorn multiplexes it, I burn it and the resultant disc plays about 5 sec then skips 5 sec etc. When I say skips I mean 5 seconds is removed like a really bad edit. When I save the file as a disc image and the burn that it is perfect. I work a community television station and we have a lot of half hour shows on individual dvd's. My task is to transfer multiple shows to to a single dvd with menus. I have transfered up to 5 shows to a disc and burned it and all the shows have skips. I have used multiple player/burners and played with the encoding options from fully automatic to tweaking each control. I think arrrg would sum up my mood right now. I wasted 30 discs already. Also the width or the burned area on the disc image disc is twice a wide as on the other for the same file size. Too much info?

It seems odd that the skips aren't also present in the disc image. As long as you create a disc image first and then burn that to DVD you don't experience the skips. This probably would require one of Toast's engineers to diagnose the possible reasons. You say you've tried with multiple burners. Have you tried on a different Mac? That's a good way to check if it is some odd System problem. If you did find that it works on another Mac then download and apply Apple's combined system update for your Mac and that usually fixes this kind of problem.

By the way, I haven't seen this problem on my G5 and Intel Macs so I am just doing some guessing here.

One possibility is it might be due to timecode breaks in the MPEG file. You don't say how the original DVD was created. If it was with a standalone DVD recorder I've found those create timecode breaks about every 25-30 seconds that can cause some problems. I sent Roxio some files from my Pioneer standalone recorder and they were able to make those MPEGs work fine in a Toast update some time ago. But some others have posted problems. I suggest they open the title set from the source DVD in MPEG Streamclip, choose Fix timecode breaks from the Edit window and then choose Convert to MPEG. The resulting MPEG file will then work in Toast. Another thing is to have Streamclip save the file as separate video and audio streams. You then drag the video stream to Toast and Toast will automatically match the audio stream. Having the video and audio demuxed this way may be a workaround to the problem. Going through all of that may be no faster than your current workaround of first creating a disc image.

I get skips sometimes when I am converting Video_ts folders located on my hard drive to H264 for AppleTV quality. Often, if I haven't seen much of the footage that I am converting, I am not even aware of the skips with the exception of it has 2 or 3 frames of a large pixelated transition. click to download pixelated transition image from movie It seems that it skips about 5 seconds for me several time in a 1 hour period. I can play the original Video_ts folder just fine using dvd player side by side (with quicktime playing movie file) without any skips. I am using Popcorn 3.0.2 on a G5 dual proc machine.

Edited by mukkli

I get skips sometimes when I am converting Video_ts folders located on my hard drive to H264 for AppleTV quality. Often, if I haven't seen much of the footage that I am converting, I am not even aware of the skips with the exception of it has 2 or 3 frames of a large pixelated transition. click to download pixelated transition image from movie It seems that it skips about 5 seconds for me several time in a 1 hour period. I can play the original Video_ts folder just fine using dvd player side by side (with quicktime playing movie file) without any skips. I am using Popcorn 3.0.2 on a G5 dual proc machine.

If you have MPEG Streamclip and feel like doing another test, please check this out for me. Open a title set from the VIDEO_TS folder in Streamclip and choose the option to Demux it as .m2v and whatever kind of audio it has (probably AC3). Then drag the .m2v file into Popcorn's Video files window (the matched audio file should be automatically added). Proceed with you AppleTV export. Is the problem gone or does it remain? I'm speculating that both Toast and Popcorn are having difficulties demuxing some MPEG video files, but this is just a suspicion. I'm looking for evidence that either supports or denies my theory.

If you have MPEG Streamclip and feel like doing another test, please check this out for me. Open a title set from the VIDEO_TS folder in Streamclip and choose the option to Demux it as .m2v and whatever kind of audio it has (probably AC3). Then drag the .m2v file into Popcorn's Video files window (the matched audio file should be automatically added). Proceed with you AppleTV export. Is the problem gone or does it remain? I'm speculating that both Toast and Popcorn are having difficulties demuxing some MPEG video files, but this is just a suspicion. I'm looking for evidence that either supports or denies my theory.

I am unfamiliar MPEG Streamclip but played with it anyways. Something that may mean more to you than it does to me is that Mpeg Streamclip wanted to repair timecode breaks and fixed about 10 of them. Would this cause the skips? I am still in the process of finishing the other test you requested.

I am unfamiliar MPEG Streamclip but played with it anyways. Something that may mean more to you than it does to me is that Mpeg Streamclip wanted to repair timecode breaks and fixed about 10 of them. Would this cause the skips? I am still in the process of finishing the other test you requested.

Timecode breaks can cause problems in Popcorn, but not always. It's good to fix them. If you want to see if that alone fixes the issue then choose Convert to MPEG from the Streamclip File menu and you'll get a "muxed" MPEG 2 file to use in Toast rather than a "demuxed" one when you export as separate m2v and ac3 files.

It seems odd that the skips aren't also present in the disc image. As long as you create a disc image first and then burn that to DVD you don't experience the skips. This probably would require one of Toast's engineers to diagnose the possible reasons. You say you've tried with multiple burners. Have you tried on a different Mac? That's a good way to check if it is some odd System problem. If you did find that it works on another Mac then download and apply Apple's combined system update for your Mac and that usually fixes this kind of problem.

By the way, I haven't seen this problem on my G5 and Intel Macs so I am just doing some guessing here.

One possibility is it might be due to timecode breaks in the MPEG file. You don't say how the original DVD was created. If it was with a standalone DVD recorder I've found those create timecode breaks about every 25-30 seconds that can cause some problems. I sent Roxio some files from my Pioneer standalone recorder and they were able to make those MPEGs work fine in a Toast update some time ago. But some others have posted problems. I suggest they open the title set from the source DVD in MPEG Streamclip, choose Fix timecode breaks from the Edit window and then choose Convert to MPEG. The resulting MPEG file will then work in Toast. Another thing is to have Streamclip save the file as separate video and audio streams. You then drag the video stream to Toast and Toast will automatically match the audio stream. Having the video and audio demuxed this way may be a workaround to the problem. Going through all of that may be no faster than your current workaround of first creating a disc image.

Gracias, I've been in Mexico for the last five days but will try Mpeg streamslip when I get back and let you know.

Edited by nchands

Thanks tsantee! Mpeg streamclip found 48 timecode breaks in 28:30 minutes of video and repaired them. I imported the resultant file into Popcorn3 and it all came out fine. Thanks much for your help, I'm very grateful.

tsante - you saved my day! Thanks for explaining how to use Streamclip to correct the video skipping problem. I was trying to convert a DVD video and spent many hours before I reviewed your posting. Thanks so much.

YES, thanks Santee, i do use MPEG Streamclip without understanding all the technojargon but was recently going around it; just wanting to do less steps; maybe this will help my OTHER problem (topic, best divx settings).