• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

moved files

dan r

Question

I have avi files that I've used for Videowave productions.Originally they were on my C drive. I have an External HD that has greater capacity and when I'm done with the large avi files I move them to my Maxtor external drive. When I go to the file on the external drive and select Open with Videowave 9, Videowave opens with the message that the files may be corrupted or of a non compatible type, and can't open them.However ,if I first open Videowave and select AddPhoto/Video, locate the file on the external drive and open from there, the file opens with no problem.What is the issue?

7 answers to this question

I have avi files that I've used for Videowave productions.Originally they were on my C drive. I have an External HD that has greater capacity and when I'm done with the large avi files I move them to my Maxtor external drive. When I go to the file on the external drive and select Open with Videowave 9, Videowave opens with the message that the files may be corrupted or of a non compatible type, and can't open them.However ,if I first open Videowave and select AddPhoto/Video, locate the file on the external drive and open from there, the file opens with no problem.What is the issue?

Question on the bold text: Can you please expound and provide the steps that you were doing leading up to that error. What do you mean by "When I go to the file on the external drive"? What file (and file extension) are you talking about?

Question on the bold text: Can you please expound and provide the steps that you were doing leading up to that error. What do you mean by "When I go to the file on the external drive"? What file (and file extension) are you talking about?

I'm talking about my original avi file that I captured from my DV camera.I wanted to start over and make an entirely new production with Videowave.I have my Roxio Media Production file and I know that if I try to open that after moving the source files Roxio prompts me to go looking for them. That I understand.

Is Videowave not capable of starting with the original avi files unless you choose them from within the program by using ADD/PHOTO VIDEO button?(That works) I just thought that if I located the avi file I wanted to work with all I would have to do was right click and choose "open with Videowave 9" in order to start working with them in Videowave.(That doesn't work) I thought it did before moving the avi file.

I'm talking about my original avi file that I captured from my DV camera.I wanted to start over and make an entirely new production with Videowave.I have my Roxio Media Production file and I know that if I try to open that after moving the source files Roxio prompts me to go looking for them. That I understand.

Is Videowave not capable of starting with the original avi files unless you choose them from within the program by using ADD/PHOTO VIDEO button?(That works) I just thought that if I located the avi file I wanted to work with all I would have to do was right click and choose "open with Videowave 9" in order to start working with them in Videowave.(That doesn't work) I thought it did before moving the avi file.

I just tried it with a second internal drive and was able to duplicate your results. The program does it with mpg files on my computer also. I never bother trying to do that before.

You have to open the program and bring them in. Opening an .avi file means playing it on a player like Windows Media Player, CinePlayer, or other players like that.

VideoWave is not a player. It is a video editior. That is why it won't open, in VideoWave, when you right click on the file.

You have to open the program and bring them in. Opening an .avi file means playing it on a player like Windows Media Player, CinePlayer, or other players like that.

VideoWave is not a player. It is a video editior. That is why it won't open, in VideoWave, when you right click on the file.

Thanks for the corroberation.I wish Roxio Customer Care was as plain in there explanations as you guys.Nice to know its as it should be.

By the way, I like the way Roxio support has changed their process.It's nice to get an email directly to my inbox without having to log on all the time.They've also responded within 24hrs.Now all they need are clearer answers.Thanks again.

My bad, I read open with to be the same as edit with. Even us old guys are re-educated - sometimes on a daily basis. :(:blink::P

Thanks for the corroberation.I wish Roxio Customer Care was as plain in there explanations as you guys.Nice to know its as it should be.

By the way, I like the way Roxio support has changed their process.It's nice to get an email directly to my inbox without having to log on all the time.They've also responded within 24hrs.Now all they need are clearer answers.Thanks again.

It isn't even a Roxio issue. It is an OS thing. It is a matter on how Windows associates file types with programs.

Archived