Tag Editor Stops Working

Bob G2

Question

When I try to use the tag editor which uses Gracenote, It works fine for a while and then It just stops working. I have to reboot the machine to get it to work again. Any help would be appreciated.

Pentium D Machine

Windows XP Pro, Current with all undated

2 Gig of Ram

3.20 Processor

Have tried closing Spysweeper, and closing all other programs other than Zone Alarm Suite

Plenty of disk space available

3 answers to this question

Zone alarm (which I no longer run), reaked havoc with the communications between my UPS and my computer. The UPS used smart signaling. Because the communications would come and go, it took me a while to figure it out.

Try to set up zone alarm to allow ALL activity to IP 127.0.0.1. which is your computer internally / locally however you want to state it. Maybe just for an experiment, disable zone alarm and see if the tag editor continues to work.

There is also a freeware program called "active ports". Google it and you will find it. It is a good tool to let you know what apps use what ports. You can find out what port(s) the tag editor is using and allow that port(s) to bypass Z/A.

It has been my experience that Zone Alarm is a bit flaky.

No offence... I didn't think anybody still used zone alarm.

Turning off Zonealarm made an 85% improvement to the problem. It still just stops once in a while, but I can live with it now.

Thanks for your help

When I try to use the tag editor which uses Gracenote, It works fine for a while and then It just stops working. I have to reboot the machine to get it to work again. Any help would be appreciated.

Pentium D Machine

Windows XP Pro, Current with all undated

2 Gig of Ram

3.20 Processor

Have tried closing Spysweeper, and closing all other programs other than Zone Alarm Suite

Plenty of disk space available

Zone alarm (which I no longer run), reaked havoc with the communications between my UPS and my computer. The UPS used smart signaling. Because the communications would come and go, it took me a while to figure it out.

Try to set up zone alarm to allow ALL activity to IP 127.0.0.1. which is your computer internally / locally however you want to state it. Maybe just for an experiment, disable zone alarm and see if the tag editor continues to work.

There is also a freeware program called "active ports". Google it and you will find it. It is a good tool to let you know what apps use what ports. You can find out what port(s) the tag editor is using and allow that port(s) to bypass Z/A.

It has been my experience that Zone Alarm is a bit flaky.

No offence... I didn't think anybody still used zone alarm.

Archived