• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sonic RecordNow burns DVD+RW and changes file attribute to read only

Jim K.

Question

I'm using DVD+RW disc, on my Samsung SH-S182d, to copy some photos (.jpg's), and after they've been burned to the disc, the file attribute is changed to 'read only'? The files did not have 'read only' checked (in file properties), so why did Sonic make them into read only?

I should also add, I first formatted the disc before writing to it. Thanks in advance, for any assistance.

9 answers to this question

Doesn't matter if you format the disc or not,once it's written to a cd or dvd it's gonna be read-only,you can't write to that file once it's written to a disc.

Terry, Lynn, Brendon...I'm not trying to write to any *file/s*....I was trying to write to the DVD+RW *disc*--but, when I attempted to write/add more files to that disc, or, delete any file (or the whole disc) it would say it's 'read only' and I can't have access to them/it!?

So, I thought I'd 'uncheck' the DLA 'option/box' and see what I could do...and now it said I could add files to the disc--but I still am not able to *delete* any file/s nor the disc.

My understanding of the advantage of using RW as opposed to R type discs is so that one can add/delete any/all files on that (data--not, audio) disc (that's been written on)--yes? no? Why spend extra $ for the RW discs if I can't 'read, write, delete' at will? I was able to do that, in the past, when I had just a CD-RW drive/writer (I think I was using Easy CD Creator, back then). I've since replaced the CD-RW writer with the Samsung DVD-RW writer.

Thanks, y'all, for the feedback...but, I'm still a bit confused here on just what I can/must do in order to be able to fully utilize/edit a RW disc?

Thanks, in advance...

Jim K.

If you aren't using Packet-Writing (which is NOT a reliable way to store anything long-term), there is no difference between writing to R or RW media. If you erase a file, you do not get any space back - the difference is that with RW you can erase the ENTIRE disc and re-use it.

And it is read just like any other optical media - after all, do you expect a commercially pressed CD or DVD to be anything other than Read-Only? Neither does your computer.

RW media is good for testing because if something goes wrong you haven't wasted a disc - you just erase it and try something else. (If it goes well, burn to R media.) It is also good for moving files between comptuers whre the original is safely on the first computer, but with Flash drives (aka Thumb / Pen / Keychain / Jump drives) and External Hard Drives there isn't much justification for that these days.

If you want a "great-big floppy-disc", get a Flash drive.

You might also find this post interesting/useful.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=12383

Lynn

Hi, Lynn...

you said I could erase the disc completely, then re-use/write to it...but, when I try to erase the disc (or any single file on that disc) I get the message it is 'read only' and 'write-protected'--I can't erase anything :(

BTW...I do have an external/back-up drive (Maxtor/Seagate)...but the archiving on the DVD discs is for purposes of one day passing the pics along to the grandkids/whomever when *I* pass along! :rolleyes:

For that, buy a spindle of DVD/R discs, and pay attention to when formats (such as standard DVD) are on the verge of disappearing so you can re-record to whatever is replacing it.

Second, you are NOT erasing the disc. "Deleting" a file merely removes it from the TOC [Table of Contents], and you do NOT get any space back. RW or R media are the same for that.

I opened RecordNow 7.3 Deluxe, clicked on help (the question-mark), and under index went down to 'erase a disc'. You should have something similar on whichever Version you have.

Lynn

Edited to correct Version.

Thanks, Lynn...

I found that 'erase disc' option, as you directed, and did erase (errr...cleared the TOC :)

I also checked out that link you gave in prior post...good info...and your feedback (below) was informative and helpful...I now have 'some' understanding of this read/write/disc business.

Thanks again for your time, knowledge, and patience. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Jim K.

For that, buy a spindle of DVD/R discs, and pay attention to when formats (such as standard DVD) are on the verge of disappearing so you can re-record to whatever is replacing it.

Second, you are NOT erasing the disc. "Deleting" a file merely removes it from the TOC [Table of Contents], and you do NOT get any space back. RW or R media are the same for that.

I opened RecordNow 7.3 Deluxe, clicked on help (the question-mark), and under index went down to 'erase a disc'. You should have something similar on whichever Version you have.

Lynn

Edited to correct Version.

You do NOT have a "great-big floppy-disc". You have an optical disc - be it CD or DVD. Just like a commercially pressed CD or DVD, it is READ-ONLY.

Even tho formatting it for Packet-Writing enables data to be added or deleted as if it were magnetic media like a floppy-disc or Hard Drive, it is still optical media - with data recorded in pits and lands instead of 0's and 1's.

Lesson #2: if the idea is to keep the data long-term, rather than transfer it somewhere while the oriignal file is still safely on the origination computer or have a temporary backup for something large (web page in progress, for example) while it is being re-worked, DON'T USE PACKET-WRITING (as Sonic's DLA, Roxio's Drag2Disc, Nero's InCD, etc). (Packet-Writing programs are the ones where you format the disc.)

Use the Data Disc writing (or, if relevant, the WinXP built-in burning ability), or other Sessions-based program. It is possible to close a session and not the disc, so you can add to it later (altho there is an "overhead" of around 15MB for the first session and 10MB per session thereafter).

Or, if you want a "great-big floppy-disc", get a Flash drive (aka Jump / Thumb / Pen / Keychain drive) or an External Hard Drive - they're quite cheap these days.

Or you, too, will have the thrill of putting your formatted CD/DVD in the drive and being told to put a CD in the drive because the computer doesn't recognize it.

RW media is much more likely to blank out than R media (which is almost as stable as a commercially pressed disc, where the pits and lands are physically pressed into the metal). RW media can be erased (the entire disc) and re-used, altho after a certain number of erasures it won't work any more (varies by the disc so it's not possible to say in advance how many times). RW media is great for things like testing if something will work, because if it doesn't you erase the disc and use it again (if it does work, burn to R media).

However, anecdotal evidence suggests that combining Packet-Writing and RW media tends to cause the disc to lose the data faster than merely using Packet-Writing or RW media alone.

Lynn

I'm using DVD+RW disc, on my Samsung SH-S182d, to copy some photos (.jpg's), and after they've been burned to the disc, the file attribute is changed to 'read only'? The files did not have 'read only' checked (in file properties), so why did Sonic make them into read only?

I should also add, I first formatted the disc before writing to it. Thanks in advance, for any assistance.

Hello Jim,

Did that reply from Lyn address your question?

Brendon

Archived